Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden shed

Options
  • 29-03-2017 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

I need to get a new shed about 3m x 4m. I am wondering whether to go for wood or steel. Can a wooden one last? Do steel ones suffer from condensation?
    Where should I go to get one?
    Any tips please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Boh of them wil have condensation if they are not ventilated / insulated properly.

I've dismantled few weeks back my wooden shed and the wooden structure was very "fresh" like,no signs of over 20 years sitting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

rolion wrote: »
    Boh of them wil have condensation if they are not ventilated / insulated properly.

I've dismantled few weeks back my wooden shed and the wooden structure was very "fresh" like,no signs of over 20 years sitting there.

How often did you need to coat it with presrvative?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Gillian72

Safehands wrote: »
    I need to get a new shed about 3m x 4m...

Hiya! Did you get your shed?
    If so, where did you get it from?
    I badly need a garden shed.
    Well, I actually need everything for my garden, but I'm gonna start with a shed...
    I was gonna get a wooden one, but my Father in Law insists that we should get a metal one.
    We'll be using it just for storage; lawnmower, and household junk...

Metal sheds are fairly expensive on most websites... around the €1000.
    I saw one place in Finglas (beside where I live) selling metal sheds at a much more affordable price. The sheds look really nice, but on their Facebook page they've one good review, and two really bad reviews, so that kinda worried me...
    Although, often people only leave reviews when they're unhappy. A company could have a hundred happy customers, but most never bother reviewing...

What to do, what to do...

Can I put concrete/patio slabs down on top of the grass, and then put the shed on top?
    Would that work as a base?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

Gillian72 wrote: »
    Hiya! Did you get your shed?
    If so, where did you get it from?
    I badly need a garden shed.
    Well, I actually need everything for my garden, but I'm gonna start with a shed...
    I was gonna get a wooden one, but my Father in Law insists that we should get a metal one.
    We'll be using it just for storage; lawnmower, and household junk...

Metal sheds are fairly expensive on most websites... around the €1000.
    I saw one place in Finglas (beside where I live) selling metal sheds at a much more affordable price. The sheds look really nice, but on their Facebook page they've one good review, and two really bad reviews, so that kinda worried me...
    Although, often people only leave reviews when they're unhappy. A company could have a hundred happy customers, but most never bother reviewing...

What to do, what to do...

Can I put concrete/patio slabs down on top of the grass, and then put the shed on top?
    Would that work as a base?

Thanks!
    Didn't get it yet. Still debating with my wife, wooden or metal. I don't like the look of the metal ones, but the wooden ones have a very finite life. I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Safehands wrote: »
    Didn't get it yet. Still debating with my wife, wooden or metal. I don't like the look of the metal ones, but the wooden ones have a very finite life. I don't know.
    Pressure treated wooden sheds last a long time provided there's no ground contact (i.e. up on blocks and away from fence).

Mine had no real signs of ageing after 12 years.

I would not choose a shed on that basis. Most choose metal for security and wood for cheapness and less condensation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

A good quality wooden pressure treated shed can last a very long time. Mine is 18 years old and in great condition as I always treated it every 1-2 years with wood preservative. A couple of years ago, I changed the look of it completely and used a lavender coloured paint (Garden Shades by Cuprinol) on it.......it's like brand new again.

The only thing I needed to replace on the shed was the felt roof, it was refelted 2 years ago.

It's a matter of preference but I don't think the metal sheds look as well in a garden, you're also stuck with what ever colour you choose originally.

Advertisement