Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with a college assignment

• 29-03-2017 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Hi guy's, I was hoping if you could help me with a college assignment, mods feel free to remove if inappropriate.

Who here would be interested in a product that combined the functionality of a fitbit with a track my run type app but for swimming? The product would be a wristband which would sync with the app on a phone so you can view your performance, distance covered, lap times, where you were in the case of open swimmers and so on. Is there any features you feel should be included? Any advice or feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What you are describing already already exists.
    Fitbit have waterproof models now, most other the competitors also do waterproof models.
    And the top ones include GPS - Garmin is definitely one. And i'm pretty sure the new apple watch does everything you describe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭guile4582

Mellor wrote: »
    What you are describing already already exists.
    Fitbit have waterproof models now, most other the competitors also do waterproof models.
    And the top ones include GPS - Garmin is definitely one. And i'm pretty sure the new apple watch does everything you describe.

it's an assignment for college...not Dragons Den :)

*also the technology and accuracy on the FitBit model (with regard to swimming and cycling too I believe) is questionable going on reviews and feedback, so this young buck might actually develop something of note or improve upon the existing tech

guile4582 wrote: »
    it's an assignment for college...not Dragons Den :)
    My point was that those companies have already done plenty of market reasearch for you. You save yourself a lot of work, and probably improve results by doing a meta-study of their research rather than your own from scratch.
    *also the technology and accuracy on the FitBit model (with regard to swimming and cycling too I believe) is questionable going on reviews and feedback, so this young buck might actually develop something of note or improve upon the existing tech
    Questionable how?

I have no reason to fault any of the metrics I've been tracking (heartrate, RHR,steps) But mine's not a swim model, not sure if there's swim specific features I haven't tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

GPS has quite a high margin of error, I would be surprised if it was accurate enough to tell exactly when you've turned in a pool. If you run back and forth over a small distance it just treats you as standing still, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Zillah wrote: »
    GPS has quite a high margin of error, I would be surprised if it was accurate enough to tell exactly when you've turned in a pool. If you run back and forth over a small distance it just treats you as standing still, for example.

My Garmin (910) counts lengths in the pool flawlessly, but doesn't use GPS for this function. It has some kind of float switch which senses change in direction. You just need to tell the watch how long the pool is and it will count the turns and work it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

My Garmin (910) counts lengths in the pool flawlessly, but doesn't use GPS for this function. It has some kind of float switch which senses change in direction. You just need to tell the watch how long the pool is and it will count the turns and work it out.

I have a head that does that too. I don't need to tell it anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

That's cool.
    endacl wrote: »

Does your head keep track of the exact time it takes to do each length and then correlate that will other stats on a graph?

Can it remember how many you did 3 thursdays ago, how long it took and perceived effort, etc
    Zillah wrote: »
    I think GPS is only really useful outside. But I've heard of guys using it at the velodrome too.
    My Fitbit (no gps) gives a rough estimate of distance based on steps/cadence. It's not perfect but it appears close enough when I've been on the treadmill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The Garmin Vivo Active (?) is set up to record swims and you can set it up for the different strokes.

Sex trackers is the next niche market to explore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I lose track. This doesn't
    http://www.speedo.com/uk/en/speedo-misfit-shine-2.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Mellor wrote: »
    Sex trackers is the next niche market to explore

KPIs: time, intensity, stroke rate, calories burned. Anything else?

KPIs: time, intensity, stroke rate, calories burned. Anything else?
    Require recovery time :cool:

Advertisement