Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Insurance for OAP

• 30-03-2017 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I am bringing my Dad (83yrs old) on holidays to Salou from 22-29 April. Even though he is on Oxygen (he has COPD) at night since last October he is in quite good health.

I am finding it quite hard to get reasonable Holiday Insurance for him due to him been on Oxygen. One company quoted €950 which is twice what the holiday cost to book for Dad!

Does the EHIC card cover repatration if god forbid something does go wrong and have to get him home or would anyone have any other suggestions?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,478 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The EHIC does not cover repatriation. His age and medical condition obviously increases the risk of him taking a 'turn' while on holidays and this is reflected in the premiums you're being quoted because medical evacuation is what the insurance companies are worried about, it costs in the tens of thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

That's a very nice thing you are doing for your Dad. If you can't pay for the travel insurance, I am sure there is a good hospital in Barcelona where he could be treated in case of mishap. I would try AA.ie too. Have a great time either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Yes no guarantee but give AA.ie a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,478 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, have you discussed your travel plans with your father's doctor? The air in a plane during the flight is pressurised to the equivalent of atmospheric pressure at 6,000-8,000 feet above sea level, just wondering if he will be able to handle the lower level of oxygen in the air during the flight.

http://copd.ie/living-with-copd/holidays-and-travel/travelling-with-oxygen/

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Smyth123

Goodtogoinsurance.eu might be an option. I have checked online for my parents who are off to Spain this summer and am quoted just over €200 with both their medical conditions relating to heart problems and surgery over the last couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,079 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

EHIC will only cover care in a public hospital, it will not cover accommodation afterwards to recoperate before your allowed fly back or emergency repatriation, you really do need insurance.

If it was me the first thing I would do is get him to visit his Doctor to write him a letter to say he is fit to fly. The insurer will likely seek this in all cases, they will also need to be aware of any outstanding medical tests your father is awating results for and could refuse based on results outstanding.

On Ryanair you need to preapprove carriage of oxygen on the plane 14 days in advance and need a fit to fly letter.

Have you thought about a cruise instead that departs from Dublin and arrives back in Dublin...
    https://www.jmgcruise.com/cruise/g7e3/spain-portugal-france-gibraltar

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭goalie2

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, have you discussed your travel plans with your father's doctor? The air in a plane during the flight is pressurised to the equivalent of atmospheric pressure at 6,000-8,000 feet above sea level, just wondering if he will be able to handle the lower level of oxygen in the air during the flight.

http://copd.ie/living-with-copd/holidays-and-travel/travelling-with-oxygen/

Yup I have with his Consultant who has given the go ahead for Dad to fly. The respiratory nurse has ordered a Portable Oxygen Concentrator for the airport and flights, just need to get details of it from BOC to declare to ryanair to see if can use it or will have to go for the in cabin ryanair oxygen.

Smyth123 wrote: »
    Goodtogoinsurance.eu might be an option. I have checked online for my parents who are off to Spain this summer and am quoted just over €200 with both their medical conditions relating to heart problems and surgery over the last couple of years.

I just tried them and the website crashed in middle of screening so will need to wait till tomorrow. What I have found out is that if you reqiure Oxygen the cost of the insurance shoots up to the €900 plus market or as Dad as couple of other conditions they wont cover you for those at all and just give you a basic cover excluding the conditions:mad: I have checked with COPD Ireland and they have found this to be the case i.e. very high prices once Oxygen comes into it.

EHIC will only cover care in a public hospital, it will not cover accommodation afterwards to recoperate before your allowed fly back or emergency repatriation, you really do need insurance.

If it was me the first thing I would do is get him to visit his Doctor to write him a letter to say he is fit to fly. The insurer will likely seek this in all cases, they will also need to be aware of any outstanding medical tests your father is awating results for and could refuse based on results outstanding.

On Ryanair you need to preapprove carriage of oxygen on the plane 14 days in advance and need a fit to fly letter.

Have you thought about a cruise instead that departs from Dublin and arrives back in Dublin...
    https://www.jmgcruise.com/cruise/g7e3/spain-portugal-france-gibraltar

Correct on all the above. Have letter from his consultant which shows fit to fly and some insurer's refuse to insure Dad for the conditions he has or if they dont they charge huge prices.. Flight already booked! My biggest concern is the repatration but the costs are to high for the prices quoted as I am bringing my family (wife and 3 kids) on the holiday to. Its a real catch 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

There are a few options in this article. Keep at it. You will find something cheaper: http://www.seniorcare.ie/blog_information/12-02-16/Travel_Insurance_for_Older_People_in_Ireland.aspx

• Advertisement

goalie2 wrote: »
    I just tried them and the website crashed in middle of screening so will need to wait till tomorrow. What I have found out is that if you reqiure Oxygen the cost of the insurance shoots up to the €900 plus market or as Dad as couple of other conditions they wont cover you for those at all and just give you a basic cover excluding the conditions:mad: I have checked with COPD Ireland and they have found this to be the case i.e. very high prices once Oxygen comes into it.
    €1400 with https://www.goodtogoinsurance.eu/quote/scheme-choice

Advertisement