Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless

Options
  • 30-03-2017 3:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I've recently been kicked out of my mam's house (which is owned by Dublin city council) due to a confrontation my younger brother had with her boyfriend. He has also been kicked out of the family home. I am also gay, which her boyfriend has a serious issue with and he feels uncomfortable around me due to my sexuality. He also feels uncomfortable around my brother's girlfriend and does not like her being in the house, we have all been banned from the property.

My brother also suffers with ADHD.

We are 23 and 16 years of age. We both have nowhere to permanently stay as our mother has spread lies about us to our grandparents. Due to our mother and fathers breakup we lost touch with our paternal relatives.

I am currently sleeping between my boyfriends, my uncles and my friends. My brother is currently staying in his girlfriends and our uncles.

Neither situation is tenable as it is causing serious stress to both me and my brother, and it is now starting to cause problems in our relationships as both of our partners have big families and there is no space. We have to take turns sleeping at our uncles as there is also limited space and I cannot stay at my friends for an extended period of time.

I am after having to postpone my studies for this year due to my situation. It is causing me serious stress, putting pressure on my relationship, interrupting my education and causing me to become depressed.

I am looking for any information on how I could go about securing reasonable accommodation for myself and my brother.

Thank you for all help, it really is very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Report your brother's situation to Tulsa: as a minor he has rights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Have you tried the homeless charities like Focus etc. ? They can provide help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

First things first, call the homeless telephone freephone 1800 707 707. They will need to assess your situation. Be mindful of the fact they may want to place you in emergency accommodation which unfortunately would have other resident with drink, drug and other mental health problems. The fact you've to look after your younger brother may get you somewhere safer.

Alternatively (or in addition to) you need to get onto your local authority and register as homeless with them. If you are in Dublin this is the DCC services on Conygham Road (must have moved from wood quay) For starters contact them here http://www.homelessdublin.ie/contact-us

They may be able to advise more. I'm truly sorry I can't be more help. I've been where you are and it ain't nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

4ensic15 wrote:
    Daft.ie?

With what money? One is 16 and the other is in education.
    OP contact the social welfare. You'll need financial advice and help too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Could you try to contact your local SWA office. Maybe they could help if you are in receipt of any payments now.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/otheroffice/community-welfare-office-dublin_central.aspx

I would also, as advised above contact Tusla, your brother is minor. Sorry i cant give more advice - i wish you the best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Surely throwing a minor out on the street is illegal?

Call the Guards and Tusla.

Parchment wrote: »
    Could you try to contact your local SWA office. Maybe they could help if you are in receipt of any payments now.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/otheroffice/community-welfare-office-dublin_central.aspx

I would also, as advised above contact Tusla, your brother is minor. Sorry i cant give more advice - i wish you the best of luck.

Welfare won't help (they were the first lot I went to when I was homeless). They'll just refer the OP to homeless services as per my previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Contact your local authorities , county council first they will put you under the care of the homeless unit​ ,they are your first port of call you won't get any help other wise

Gatling wrote: »
    Contact your local authorities , county council first they will put you under the care of the homeless unit​ ,they are your first port of call you won't get any help other wise

Was the other way round for me. Needed to contact homeless services (used to be on Capel St) who then referred me to DCC. This was a number of years back (2011) so may well have changed since but I would be calling the freephone number and asking them rather than going somewhere only to find out it's the wrong place to go.

Was the other way round for me. Needed to contact homeless services (used to be on Capel St) who then referred me to DCC. This was a number of years back (2011) so may well have changed since but I would be calling the freephone number and asking them rather than going somewhere only to find out it's the wrong place to go.

He has to go his local authority who will put him in contact with his local homeless unit , usually in the same building,been like that for a few years now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mod Note: No flippant remarks please. Keep it constructive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

The OP must present to Parkgate Hall on Conyngham Rd 10am-12pm, 2pm-4pm Monday to Friday for assessment, this is the first step.

After that I recommend going to the Focus Ireland Coffee Shop in Temple Bar for support and information. If there are any child protection concerns or other agencies required, the advice and information staff in the FI Coffee Shop will be able to assist with this.

I work for Focus and this is the current protocol.

Best of luck OP.

yermandan wrote: »
    The OP must present to Parkgate Hall on Conyngham Rd 10am-12pm, 2pm-4pm Monday to Friday for assessment, this is the first step.

After that I recommend going to the Focus Ireland Coffee Shop in Temple Bar for support and information. If there are any child protection concerns or other agencies required, the advice and information staff in the FI Coffee Shop will be able to assist with this.

I work for Focus and this is the current protocol.

Best of luck OP.

Fair play to you for working with Focus. I have the utmost respect for everybody who works in the homeless services in every capacity, they certainly saved my life when I was homeless, destitute and having very dark and suicidal thoughts and for that I thank you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Fair play to you for working with Focus. I have the utmost respect for everybody who works in the homeless services in every capacity, they certainly saved my life when I was homeless, destitute and having very dark and suicidal thoughts and for that I thank you all.

Hi Nick,

I am so delighted that you are in a better place and got the support from my colleagues that you needed and deserved. It is my pleasure and privilege to do the work that I do (currently with families experiencing homelessness) and all I can hope for is more success stories like yours.

All the very best in your future!

D

yermandan wrote: »

Actually that's not exactly true , that's​ basing off the assumption the op and his brother are based in Dublin city,
    Here​ in Tallaght you go to the local SDCC office and they put you on to our local homeless unit no need to attend conynham road at all ,

Op it would help if you could tell us what part of the country you are based

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

wouldn't a 16 year old not be regarded as a minor and as such fall under the care of the state (i.e. fosterhome) rather than homeless?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

wouldn't a 16 year old not be regarded as a minor and as such fall under the care of the state (i.e. fosterhome) rather than homeless?

Indeed he would. That's why Tulsa should be the first stop if there's a minor who has been abandoned by his or her parents. Which IS what's happened here.

It's a tricky one, because it's probably best if the brothers stay together, and Tulsa may not have options for that. Or they may. At very least, they should be able to help access some funding for the 16 year old, which regular social welfare won't do, that might allow them to get into a house-share or similar.

(While I was in my 30s, I had a 17 year old housemate for a while, who left home in similar circumstances. Every case is different, but the OP's brother can get access to some funding and stable accommodation with pro-social adults for even a couple of years, it can make a big difference to how they enter adulthood.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Hope you've had some luck OP.

Advertisement