Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static IP address

Options
  • 30-03-2017 7:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm with Vodafone.

They change my IP address every 24 hours for some reason.

A service I try to access won't work for that region when the IP address assigned starts with 51. for some reason.

It works when Vodafone assign an IP address starting with 78. or 109.

So I'm wondering is it possible to get a static IP address?

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aha_sender

Hi it perfectly acceptable to get a static IP from Vodafone, there one starts are 93. Call in the care team and they should do it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I thinks it's either 4 or 6 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Thanks. Any reason why the IP address changes so often? An odd time it mightn't change for over 24 hours.

From what I know all vodafone modems are set by default to a dynamic up. So they will automatically regenerate every 24 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

When I rang about this before they told me it was for my own security that they change the IP every 24 hours. :eek:

You can get it if you pay every month for it. Not sure how much it is at the moment.

think a dynamic IP is not more secure than a fixed one because probably nobody will try to find you specifically but any IP that answers. This can be your fixed IP or your Dynamic IP (if you open the ports and have servers behind them like ssh).

The unique difference is that your machine will always answer on the same IP so the attacker theoretically has more time but a lot of dynamic IPs do not change much and you fall in almost the same situation as a fixed one. Anyways, if you depend on time available to the attacker to defend your machine you are at big risk. It is better to at least ban the attacker IP after a few negated authentications.

So it is true a dynamic IP hides you a little better if someone is trying to attack your machine specifically but not against the majority of attackers who seek any available IP.

The cost is 6 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It doesn't add security really, nobody is bruting consumer CPE for more than an hour or two.

Vodafone do it thanks to BT wholesale setting up that way. Whole pool resets nightly. No need for it. Charging per mo is extortionate. An IPv4 address is worth about $6 ONE TIME purchase.

Eir do it for €50 one time. Virgin are sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Security is just quoted to make it seem like it is a good thing for you when your ring up. Most users of would just accept when they ring up and get told that it increases security.

It is just a way for them to try and justify the reset of the entire range every 24 hours and then charging you extra if you have a need for static IP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I don't understand why the whole range needs to be reset every 24 or so anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I don't understand why the whole range needs to be reset every 24 or so anyway?

I would guess it might be a billing kludge. Rather than having the accounting system try and scan the RAS for CSIs that are disabled if you force everyone to connect again the RAS checks in the other direction before allowing the PPP call to connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭WattsUp

Do anyone know is the daily IP address refresh caused by the Gigabox or the network ? I'm thinking of getting a new TP-Link router and wondering if an added bonus is that it does not request a new IP address every day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

It's the network. I had SIRO on Vodafone with a Fritz box and it still reset every night.

Advertisement