Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding work in United Arab Emirates??

Options
  • 30-03-2017 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any information on websites or employment agencies that can assist European (Irish) people find work in UAE? 
    I emigrated to and am currently in Australia for the past three months and despite having 5 years hospitality experience, 5 years retail experience and an additional 5 years experience in healthcare working as an Ambulance Paramedic, I absolutely cannot find decent paid work anywhere despite having applied for over 150 various positions here since arriving' mostly due to the working holiday visa restriction of not being able to work for one employer for more than 6 months at a time. i would really like to look at moving to UAE for a year to make some decent money if that was possible. 

I am newly qualified as an Occupational Health ans Safety Advisor as of last year and would ideally be looking for work in this field. 

Thank you so much for any help you can offer!!!

Subscriber

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Hello
    Not sure if the Travel forum is the best place to advertise your wares tbh

Can I ask did you know in advance that you'd be restricted to max 6 months work with 1 employer because of the particular type of visa you have

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

subscriber wrote: »
    I am newly qualified as an Occupational Health ans Safety Advisor as of last year and would ideally be looking for work in this field. 

Health & Safety in the gulf? Forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

If you are a ambulance paramedic then I'm going to assume you have your C truck license. There is plenty of work driving heavy vehicles in Oz and at least when I was was over there $27 ph would have been the low end of pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭W0LFMAN

It's difficult over there. Rent is paided anually upfront. Just because your expat. Doesn't garuntee you a step up the que. There's many people over there now that have qualifications. All the kids have return from European/American universities, bringing with them the trades and information the Gulf was missing in the 60's and 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

imme wrote: »
    Hello
    Not sure if the Travel forum is the best place to advertise your wares tbh

Can I ask did you know in advance that you'd be restricted to max 6 months work with 1 employer because of the particular type of visa you have
    It`s specified on my visa grant email....This is the case for all "working holiday visa" holders in Australia.

coylemj wrote: »

Health & Safety in the gulf? Forget it.
    Why? With the amount of gas, oil and construction in the area, would the OHS industry not be booming?

If you are a ambulance paramedic then I'm going to assume you have your C truck license. There is plenty of work driving heavy vehicles in Oz and at least when I was was over there $27 ph would have been the low end of pay.
    C1 licence not C. Restricted to driving to maximum of 8 tonne weight. Plenty of work available for C class licence holders which equates to a HR (Heavy Rigid) licence in Australia. The C1 equates to a LR (Light Rigid) licence.... Believe it or not, work for LR drivers is pretty scarce. If you are a HR driver, you`ll have work immediately and earn up $1100 a week for long haul transport but not much available for the LR drivers. Believe me, I`ve been sending applications....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    OP; moved to a forum which may provide you further answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Do you have any experience working in health & safety? are you qualified to provide training? I work in HSEQ myself but in oil and gas which is not the best industry at the moment. If you are qualified to train there are plenty of training companies, which might be a good start. I'll see if i can find anything useful for you. Linkedin is a a good bet for job searching. Didn't use a recruiter myself so can't recommend one.

wuffly wrote: »
    Do you have any experience working in health & safety? are you qualified to provide training? I work in HSEQ myself but in oil and gas which is not the best industry at the moment. If you are qualified to train there are plenty of training companies, which might be a good start. I'll see if i can find anything useful for you. Linkedin is a a good bet for job searching. Didn't use a recruiter myself so can't recommend one.

I don't have any formal experience as of yet unfotunately Wuffly, not practically or in training as I just completed my degree last year and failed to get any experience in Australia where I've been for the last 6 months. I had worked as an Ambulance Paramedic previously to the Occ H+S degree but that doesn't count for anything in this field.

On doing so!e research about OHS work in the UAE, I seen a vast amount of opportunities available that included relocation packages, accommodation provided and seriously competitive salaries also but were all seeking people with 5+ years experience.

If you had any ideas about how a new graduate without experience such as myself could get into employment in the UAE, it'd be very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

wuffly wrote: »

I don't have any formal experience as of yet unfotunately Wuffly, not practically or in training as I just completed my degree last year and failed to get any experience in Australia where I've been for the last 6 months. I had worked as an Ambulance Paramedic previously to the Occ H+S degree but that doesn't count for anything in this field.

On doing so!e research about OHS work in the UAE, I seen a vast amount of opportunities available that included relocation packages, accommodation provided and seriously competitive salaries also but were all seeking people with 5+ years experience.

If you had any ideas about how a new graduate without experience such as myself could get into employment in the UAE, it'd be very much appreciated.
    in general the reason they are offering such good packages is because the work is demanding they have very strict laws on expats working so therefore are looking for the top 5%.
    I found it really hard to fill entry level roles when i was over there due to visa restrictions and conditions.
    You might be better off getting the experience locally then looking at moving over...

Advertisement