Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Lightening delay...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

First Up wrote: »
    And ESPN predictably pushing Tiger as far up the leaderboard as they can get away with. The practice of giving precedence to the player who has played most holes is suspended when there's a chance of pulling a few more impressionable viewers.

I often see people taking issue with this and I can't understand why. I can see why people might complain about them showing all his shots (I personally don't mind this), but the leaderboard thing is just so minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

NDWC wrote:
    I often see people taking issue with this and I can't understand why. I can see why people might complain about them showing all his shots (I personally don't mind this), but the leaderboard thing is just so minor.

Minor but grossly insulting to the rest of the field.

NDWC wrote: »

I wouldnt mind them showing all Tigers shots I mean I get it he is a big deal, but the replays, the lining up of putts, him scratching his arse :p just show the other golfers at these times.

We missed all of Louis play the last par 5 bar the drive and his (late) tap in par to go t4 its just annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

SeeMoreBut wrote: »

Where’s Roe we all miss him

This a joke?

Roe is atrocious

• Advertisement

I wouldnt mind them showing all Tigers shots I mean I get it he is a big deal, but the replays, the lining up of putts, him scratching his arse :p just show the other golfers at these times.

We missed all of Louis play the last par 5 bar the drive and his (late) tap in par to go t4 its just annoying

If I wasn't a massive Tiger fan I'd agree but I am so I'd watch him all day. Can certainly see where you're coming from though!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Dr Devious

McGinley is among the worst ever, some of the 5h1te he comes out with is laughable, as for the mispronunciations.....Abu Dhabi is Abbey dabby, heard him call Xander Schauffele is Xander Soufflé, not joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I wouldnt mind them showing all Tigers shots I mean I get it he is a big deal, but the replays, the lining up of putts, him scratching his arse :p

And that clip of the steward tripping over him; you'd swear it was the Zapruder film the amount of time they spent dissecting it...

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Dr Devious wrote: »
    McGinley is among the worst ever, some of the 5h1te he comes out with is laughable, as for the mispronunciations.....Abu Dhabi is Abbey dabby, heard him call Xander Schauffele is Xander Soufflé, not joking.

Maybe he is saying it spot on after his recent comment that he was in college with his dad

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

I suspect there are a lot of gaps in the live feed they get that they have to fill so need anything that will fill time and anyone who can talk, talk, talk... and they are all good at that, even if they sometimes trip over themselves as most people won't even notice.

• Advertisement

They can fill them with the golfers out on the course that they aren't showing, its only when they are down to a few groups do they need to fill in gaps and even then they dont show every golfers every shot. Golf coverage is just wierd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Does live coverage begin on YouTube earlier than Sky?

Is Radar there at all? Wouldn't surprise me if he was legit banned from Augusta :pac:

Beem is wasted out on the course. Put McGinley out there please, I actually think it would suit him better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

Don't have sky. Glad it's on the bbc but only downside is the commentary, especially that bore Peter Aliss.

Don't have sky. Glad it's on the bbc but only downside is the commentary, especially that bore Peter Aliss.

Why do the BBC still wheel him out, he starts meandering about days of yore.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Harrington on the BBC nice one.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Great to hear Peter Alliss still doing the BBC commentary. Voice of a generation. 88 years old!

Harrington on the BBC nice one.

Yes! Top stuff. Should be Harrington and Azinger. They're listenable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Great to hear Peter Alliss still doing the BBC commentary. Voice of a generation. 88 years old!

Alongside Harrington, not a bad combination.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Alongside Harrington, not a bad combination.

Not at all, always liked Ken Browne on the BBC as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Padraig Harrington sounds really good on commentary.

We seem to be seeing a lot of Fleetwood even though he's barely inside the top 20. Plenty other big names within a couple of the lead they could be showing

We seem to be seeing a lot of Fleetwood even though he's barely inside the top 20. Plenty other big names within a couple of the lead they could be showing

That's why the bbc are a pain.

That's why the bbc are a pain.

I'm watching on Sky so maybe it's a British feed, I doubt they'd be showing as much of him in the US

I'm watching on Sky so maybe it's a British feed, I doubt they'd be showing as much of him in the US

Yeah, you'd be seeing more Phil and co.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

NDWC wrote:

All broadcasters have a choice of which players/shots to show from a dozen or more options. BBC understandably give more prominence to British players.

And started whinging about players hitting the ball further as usual.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

That prick Aliss just burst in. He interrupted Pádraig to take over.

Language please

That prick Aliss just burst in. He interrupted Pádraig to take over.

Jesus, take a chill pill will ya.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Keano wrote: »
    Language please

If they keep it up it's bans from now on.

Advertisement