Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

On balance sky coverage is pretty decent. Its good they have female input on the commentary team, but i'm not sure Laura Davies adds all that much. Made a rather strange comment midway through the round about Lowry to the effect "his mouth must be getting a bit dry out there". Wasnt sure if she was getting at some stereotype or not, but then Rich Boxall followed it with "he'll be getting a bit of a thirst by now alright." I was wondering, does Lowry not carry a bottle of water with him or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

On balance sky coverage is pretty decent. Its good they have female input on the commentary team, but i'm not sure Laura Davies adds all that much. Made a rather strange comment midway through the round about Lowry to the effect "his mouth must be getting a bit dry out there". Wasnt sure if she was getting at some stereotype or not, but then Rich Boxall followed it with "he'll be getting a bit of a thirst by now alright." I was wondering, does Lowry not carry a bottle of water with him or something?

Dry mouth is associated with being nervous. Don't think there was any stereo type implied.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Dry mouth is associated with being nervous. Don't think there was any stereo type implied.

Yeah i'd say you're definitely correct, pretty sure nothing at all meant by Davies, though not quite so certain about Boxall. Not really a big thing anyway to be honest, just thought it a sounded bit odd when i heard it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

On balance sky coverage is pretty decent.

It was decent enough but they are missing Livingstone and Butch alot.
    Rich Beem is hard to listen to .
    Their coverage seemed bland .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It was decent enough but they are missing Livingstone and Butch alot.
    Rich Beem is hard to listen to .
    Their coverage seemed bland

Disagree on both of these so much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Mark Roe trying to be a funny guy is just cringeworthy, Beemer must think he's a right a4sewipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Mark Roe trying to be a funny guy is just cringeworthy, Beemer must think he's a right a4sewipe.

I did enjoy Nick Doherty pulling him up on a couple of things last night.

I generally don't mind Mark Roe, but the crap he gives DeChambeau on commentary rattles me

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

Who was the lady commentating on Sky this evening. Talked way too much, just let the pictures do the talking please.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Kay something or other, yea she was annoying.

Yesterday they were calling Kokrak cock rack, today it was coke rack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

Seemed to be trying too much to let everyone know she knew her stuff. But mostly it was irrelevant ****e

callaway92 wrote: »
    I generally don't mind Mark Roe, but the crap he gives DeChambeau on commentary rattles me

If you're not British you're a nobody in his book.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Unless you are Tiger Woods, in which case be prepared to drown in the adoration.

Very true. He's ridic biased

First Up wrote: »
    Unless you are Tiger Woods, in which case be prepared to drown in the adoration.

Jaysis, I dunno.

He likes to throw in the old 'the Tiger of old wouldn't have missed that', about 15 times a round.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Jaysis, I dunno.

He likes to throw in the old 'the Tiger of old wouldn't have missed that', about 15 times a round.

I think he's paid by the mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Who cares what Mark Roe thinks? He's a nobody. He's most famous for not signing his card at the Open nearly 20 years ago. I doubt any pro gives a flying fcuk what he says or doesn't say about them.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Who cares what Mark Roe thinks? He's a nobody. He's most famous for not signing his card at the Open nearly 20 years ago. I doubt any pro gives a flying fcuk what he says or doesn't say about them.

He isn't talking to the pro's. His job is to talk up Tiger. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Did anyone hear what the guy on the tee said when announcing McIlroy just there?

Wish they’d finished showing Miracle at Medinah

• Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Who is the woman commentating on Sky with Ewan Murray? Bloody painful.

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »
    Who is the woman commentating on Sky with Ewan Murray? Bloody painful.

She's not the best in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

She's not the best in fairness!

Gender quota. Like the female referee in the soccer during the week and the beeb have a female commenting on the soccer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Never seen that interviewer on Sky before. Seems like a bag of nerves.

Agree with those saying the new female commentator isn't up to scratch. She's dreadful.

Did these two win a competition to be part of the Sky team for the week or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Gender quota. Like the female referee in the soccer during the week and the beeb have a female commenting on the soccer too.

The beeb had 2 female commentators on the football last year. One of them was so painful to listen to, I used to just fast forward through her games

This coverage is worse than hanging out washing.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Must be alone in thinking the coverage has been quite good.

Early play showed plenty of players and shots, as for Kay Cockerill I would rather listen to her than some on the sky team. She seems to be very knowledgeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

This Presidents Cup coverage is worse than anything I’ve ever seen, and that’s saying something!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

idle wrote: »
    This Presidents Cup coverage is worse than anything I’ve ever seen, and that’s saying something!

Amount of ads is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Amount of ads is incredible.

Well its not too bad. They keep saying that they are playing through the commercial

If its coming from an australian feed it must be insufferable to watch golf in oz :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Think Australia is a bit like the US where they're happy enough to watch lots of ads instead.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement