Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,284 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So we're back to watching featured groups for a few hours now? In this day and age you'd think they'd allow full TV coverage similar to the Open. Especially given the year that's in it.
    It's a hell of a lot better than what Augusta used to allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's a hell of a lot better than what Augusta used to allow.

Wasn't it only an hour on a Sunday evening at one stage? Before my time but I think I heard that at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Jesus McGinley loves to hate on McIlroy

Well in fairness there isn’t much that you can praise heap on Mc Ilroy with especially this year .

Wasn't it only an hour on a Sunday evening at one stage? Before my time but I think I heard that at some stage
    Yes and then they allowed a couple of holes on Thursdays and Fridays and we all thought this is awesome. It's not that long ago that we first seen cameras on the front nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,945 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Jesus McGinley loves to hate on McIlroy

Yep, loves to get a few sly digs on mcilroy anytime he can, usually questions his bottle, mental strength and focus which are huge things to question a professional player on. He's great at disguising it though. No wonder McIlroy has little time for him.

Apart from that I generally like McGinley, has his homework done, knows his stats and offers good analysis.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

costacorta wrote: »
    Well in fairness there isn’t much that you can praise heap on Mc Ilroy with especially this year .

Perhaps but you want a commentator to be somewhat objective.

His silly comment of Rory losing the edge he had with the driver from 7 years ago when in fact one of his most dominant years -if not most dominant- statistically off the tee was 2019.

I don’t mind a little bias for/against a player/style, it’s good for conversation but it can’t be as outlandish as some of the stuff he says about him at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

El Sueño wrote: »
    I had a look at the Radio Times archive and picked 1995 just because it is hardly ancient history was also a very memorable Masters for me with Crenshaw winning

BBC 2 coverage was 1 hour Thursday, 50 minutes Friday, 2 hours 45 Saturday and 2 hours 55 Sunday. If there had beee a playoff the Sunday coverage may have run on but on the other side I'm not sure if these times were all live coverage or if there was filler/talking beforehand

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Paul 'Ryder Cup' McGinley

McGinley was like the rest of them fawning all over McIlroy up until very recently.
    He has just been honest about things.
    He deserves credit for that unlike all the rest of the commentators.

McGinley obviously has an axe to grind with McIlroy and has the platform on sky. Just gets a bit repetitive, some of the criticism about his professionalism are on the edge, you'd never hear him criticise Lowry or Spieth like that who have been even more disappointing.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

McGinley obviously has an axe to grind with McIlroy and has the platform on sky. Just gets a bit repetitive, some of the criticism about his professionalism are on the edge, you'd never hear him criticise Lowry or Spieth like that who have been even more disappointing.
    McGinley had no axe to grind. He is one of the good guys. The fact that he was selected by his peers tonne Ryder Cup captain should be enough of a clue as to how popular he is.
    He is just tells ng the truth about Rory's game as it's been. You can even hear the frustration when he talks about him because he believes that Rory should be dominating the game.

Sky have had 3 days to fix the syncing issues with Butch's commentary, the fact that the 3-4 second delay is still there just isn't good enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Butch is stealing a living here.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭thegolfer

Jayop wrote: »
    But funny he drives me nuts when he's commentating.

Bring back Monty.

Have to agree, not a fan of him commentating at all. A bit of controversy is no harm, get off the fence, Butch does it and adds a lot of the golfing narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭patob

Watching highlights on BBC, was great to hear Peter Alliss. He sounds a bit hoarse but still sharp enough, probably working from home. Andrew Cotter and Ken Brown are top notch and better than anything on Sky in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,711 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Watched the golf on CBS and Sky over the last few days .
    Watching paint drying would be more exciting than CBS's coverage , Skys wasn't much better.
    Not enough shots shown , too much time showing players walking , putting , interviews , ads .
    Its too disjointed .

I couldn't wait to see that clip of Harry Kane talking about the Masters again. Top quality coverage.

About a minute into the full live coverage and they're showing us Scheffler's tee shot on a par 4. He's 12 shots off the lead!

About a minute into the full live coverage and they're showing us Scheffler's tee shot on a par 4. He's 12 shots off the lead!

Coverage of the masters is always really poor, I don't think Sky have control and just have to take the feed.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Coverage of the masters is always really poor, I don't think Sky have control and just have to take the feed.

Ya Sky definitely don't control it, I think it might be CBS, they're doing a ****e job whoever it is!

• Advertisement

Ya Sky definitely don't control it, I think it might be CBS, they're doing a ****e job whoever it is!

Sports coverage in the US is generally terrible.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I think it's been amazing, are ng ****s of Augusta never seen before and different angles for approach shots.
    Sports coverage in the US is generally terrible.
    I'll disagree with this, their sports coverage imo is far ahead of anywhere else.

Well there's been some pretty drone shots alright but I watch the Masters to see the golf, and coverage of that has been average

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

If butch tells me once more than SunJae Im plays every week Im gonna drive my boot through the screen

(figuratively speaking)

Benny Cake wrote: »
    If butch tells me once more than SunJae Im plays every week Im gonna drive my boot through the screen

(figuratively speaking)

Haven't you heard? He's the tour's iron man!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Haven't you heard? He's the tour's iron man!

Ive heard plenty from Butch, normally 30 seconds after its happened...

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

Butch is one of those really irritating yanks. Awful sense of humour where he laughs at his own jokes. Loves talking about money so is probably reeling from the election result. He is a classic bore who lives in a bubble. Yesterday he said I just love being me - kind of sums him up.

Do they need to keep reminding us that there's no fans? Literally every single person watching already knows this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Benny Cake wrote: »

(figuratively speaking)

And Schuffle has a German father.

• Advertisement

Coltart saying Rahm will win the most majors out of himself, DJ, Koepka, Rory and JT

What absolute nonsense, where's his logic?

Rahm hasn't even competed at the latter stages of a major and he's older than Rory was when he won his 4th!

The Sky obsession with Rahm is embarrassing

Advertisement