Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Ewen is ripping into them over the pace of play and rightly so. Feels like they've been playing forever and there's the final still to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

callaway92 wrote:
    Question from Coltart there to Paul McGinley about what JP (caddied for him previously) would bring as a caddy to Victor Perez.

The answer from McGinley:

- Experience - Motivation
    Are you saying that's not a good answer?

Also McGinley is good when they are hitting approach shots telling us where the greens fall off.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

I think that the criticism of McGinley is a bit OTT.

He's no worse than any of the others and better than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    I think that the criticism of McGinley is a bit OTT.

He's no worse than any of the others and better than most.

It isnt. And he isnt.

It isnt. And he isnt.
    I'm no fan if McGinley but the criticism is certainly ott.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm no fan if McGinley but the criticism is certainly ott.

Disagree. He was an underrated player, 3 Ryder Cups, all 3 teams won, players seem to like him and comes across as a nice guy. Youd think hed have all the tools to be a decent commentator.

Awful might be a strong word. Monty was awful. But McGinley really is poor. There are dozens of ex players or just pro announcers who would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I think McGinley is pretty much the same as all the rest of them, the insightful ones stick out like sore thumbs, as do the moderately insightful like Beem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Can you concede that 'JP is a very good player in his own right' is in no way insightful without any kind of further information?

I presume McGinley knows JP once beat Darren Clarke in match play and was a good enough player to get a golf scholarship in the US. I think that's enough to justify him saying JP is a good player in his own right but sloppy of him not to have his career statistics memorised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Andrew coltart has all the clich most of his predictions are wrong, and he only tips up whoever is leading, money for jam

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Are you saying that's not a good answer?

Also McGinley is good when they are hitting approach shots telling us where the greens fall off.

I think for a guy that’s being paid a salary to commentate on TV it offered absolutely nothing insightful for a question that had potential to give some good info about any intricacies etc that JP has.

He literally could’ve said what he said about any caddy that’s been working 10+ years.

Also - JP offers ‘motivation’ he said.... what??? Again - he could say that about ANY caddy at a guess.

I do want to make it clear I have nothing against McGinley as a pundit btw as far as his voice goes. I just believe he offers nothing to someone who has any clue about the sport. In his role as a colour comm that’s what he’s supposed to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

callaway92 wrote:
    I do want to make it clear I have nothing against McGinley as a pundit btw as far as his voice goes. I just believe he offers nothing to someone who has any clue about the sport. In his role as a colour comm that’s what he’s supposed to do.

I disagree. I think McGinley has far better insights into the courses, the conditions and the players' choices than any other commentators on Sky.

First Up wrote:
    I presume McGinley knows JP once beat Darren Clarke in match play and was a good enough player to get a golf scholarship in the US. I think that's enough to justify him saying JP is a good player in his own right but sloppy of him not to have his career statistics memorised.
    Of course he knows all about JP.
    callaway92 wrote:
    I think for a guy that’s being paid a salary to commentate on TV it offered absolutely nothing insightful for a question that had potential to give some good info about any intricacies etc that JP has.
    Did you ever think for a second that JP might have said to him not to say too much about him? Even I know that JP values his privacy a lot.

First Up wrote: »

Very insightful, maybe you should be in the box :P

Most caddies are good players in their own right, without any further qualifiers it's literally the definition of inane. I don't see how you think him saying he's a good player offers any insight. You'd be hard pressed to find a caddy who's not an accomplished player I imagine.

He could have said he's strong enough to carry the bag without getting tired and doesn't mind wearing a bib! :D

First Up wrote: »
    I disagree. I think McGinley has far better insights into the courses, the conditions and the players' choices than any other commentators on Sky.

Agree to disagree there so.

Did you ever think for a second that JP might have said to him not to say too much about him? Even I know that JP values his privacy a lot.

What a weird thought process to have here. McGinley gave absolutely nothing.

Dunno why you and the other lad are getting so upset about it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I know the yanks dont like to show golf but you would think with only four players on the course, we would see every single shot and not just the final

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Dr Devious

callaway92 wrote: »
    Question from Coltart there to Paul McGinley about what JP (caddied for him previously) would bring as a caddy to Victor Perez.

The answer from McGinley:

- Experience
    - Motivation

Question to JP Fitzgerald there from Coltart about what Paul McGinley (caddied for him previously) brings to Sky’s golf coverage.

The answer from Fitzgerald

Bull5h1te
    Dung
    Diarrhoea

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

After the final was over, first thing Nick was saying was how do they change format to ensure the world top 10 get into finals! Why on earth would you give them any more advantage. That really annoyed me.

ClutchIt wrote: »
    After the final was over, first thing Nick was saying was how do they change format to ensure the world top 10 get into finals! Why on earth would you give them any more advantage. That really annoyed me.

It was a bit silly, took the credit away from the winner straight away. Maybe they should hold a sky favourites competition, no Americans allowed and the semi finals will consist of Poulter McIlroy Fleetwood and Westwood. Whoever wins, they are all world class players, with 4 majors between them.

It was a bit silly, took the credit away from the winner straight away. Maybe they should hold a sky favourites competition, no Americans allowed and the semi finals will consist of Poulter McIlroy Fleetwood and Westwood. Whoever wins, they are all world class players, with 4 majors between them.

On reflection I have replaced McIlroy with Tyrrell Hatton. 4 world class golfers with 0 majors between them. It could be called the sky mates classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

To be fair to sky, they do promote the irish players a good bit. Gmac got a few mentions last night. Lowry has been mentioned and shown a good bit in recent tournaments. Maybe that's because our lads can win majors or maybe they just do like to cheer on irish players.

they could do a classic with mcilroy, Harrington, gmac and Lowry. Just the 9 majors between them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Trampas

Bring back Roe :)

Mc Ginley just like to repeat the same lines about match play and it’s a sprint.

We’ll get a break for a week from him and he’ll be back for the masters. Only played it twice. I thought it be more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

ClutchIt wrote: »

I think the first reaction from Sky was along the lines of... "Well that was sh1te... Where does it go from here".

And they weren't wrong, probably the worst golf viewing I sat through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Very difficult to talk sh1te for 10 hours, about lads hitting golf shots, without sounding like a tool TBF.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

McGinley just loves it when the rest of them refer to him as the matchplay expert. He was beaming (excuse the pun) like a Cheshire cat when Rich introduced him thus yesterday. Though it was funny when Doughtery slagged McGinley for wearing combats!

McGinley is not too bad I think. He can be very bland at times, but also gives some valuable insights at other times.

I always refer back to the Masters a few years ago where Harrington was on commentary on BBC or Sky, can't remember which, and EVERY single contribution he made was insightful - it was brilliant. He had realised he was there to not just describe the action, but to add whatever insights he had based on his knowledge of the players and the course.

Wombatman wrote: »
    Very difficult to talk sh1te for 10 hours, about lads hitting golf shots, without sounding like a tool TBF.

That's exactly it really.

That's why Butch and Alliss were so good imo, they'd just go off on a tangent with anecdotes and interesting stories form their own experiences on tour and being around the players.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but I'll always be drawn to those who freewheel a bit and just let things slip out naturally without being too worried about offending anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I think Sky should promote Gary Murphy and John E Morgan to the main coverage, two lads that say what they think and both good craic aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I can’t listen to McGinley without my toes curling as all I can think of is this horror show....

https://youtu.be/87e4_xm1O_g

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

ForeRight wrote: »
    I can’t listen to McGinley without my toes curling as all I can think of is this horror show....

https://youtu.be/87e4_xm1O_g

:D:D:D:D

Great "wonderful life" we are all still paying for.

Some crazy times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

I’d never seen that before, now that’s the definition of cringe ��

Advertisement