Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Speith and Mcllroy will almost be finished by the time live coverage starts. It might take Netflix or amazon to come in and force their hand. Nobody wins by restricting the coverage.

Agreed, in this day and age there should be comprehensive coverage. The fact that the "featured" groups didn't feature Spieth or McIlroy is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,005 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Jaysus some of those lads on SS try to make a science out of a game of golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Jaysus some of those lads on SS try to make a science out of a game of golf.

I don't mind them talking about this stuff for the pros. It's when we go out to play tomorrow and the mid-40 year old 18 handicapper starts spouting some of the crap before their shot is the big problem (for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

No artist, another one of mcginleys bs statements that he keeps regurgitating, he makes me want to regurgitate

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I'm curious about the hostility to McGinely's contribution. Everything I've heard him say has been spot on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,005 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Every time they show one of the lads I backed he's making a balls of a shot.
    I think i'll watch it on the radio :mad:

First Up wrote: »
    I'm curious about the hostility to McGinely's contribution. Everything I've heard him say has been spot on

*Golfer hits in the rough*

Paul: "That's not a great shot there Ewen"

*Golfer hits it to 2 feet*

Paul: "That's an excellent shot Ewen"

*American or European does anything*

Paul: "We might see that at the Ryder Cup this year Ewen"

Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Mainly the constant talk of the ryder cup for me. Him and monty are just terrible for that.

When hes talking about the shots i dont mind think hes a better studio person than in the commentary box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Nice Man, but utterly bland as a commentator.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I might be the only one who actually LIKES McGinely around here...lol

• Advertisement

NDWC wrote: »

*Golfer hits in the rough*

Paul: "That's not a great shot there Ewen"

*Golfer hits it to 2 feet*

Paul: "That's an excellent shot Ewen"

*American or European does anything*

Paul: "We might see that at the Ryder Cup this year Ewen"

Etc.
    Have you specific examples?

Happy4all wrote: »

Nice Man, but utterly bland as a commentator.

His comments on the difficulties of playing off Augusta's slopes and the need to shape shots are far from bland. He's the only commentator I've heard who seems to know what its like to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

His comments on the difficulties of playing off Augusta's slopes and the need to shape shots are far from bland. He's the only commentator I've heard who seems to know what its like to play it.
    Yeah, he's actually an insightful commentator. There's so much time on their hands to say stuff that inevitably you're going to get clichés but there are nuggets in there as well.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yeah, he's actually an insightful commentator. There's so much time on their hands to say stuff that inevitably you're going to get clichés but there are nuggets in there as well.

Of course he is also following a script. Sky pay a lot of money for the Ryder Cup and take every opportunity to hype it. McGinley is strongly associated with the RC and I'd expect his job spec with Sky includes a requirement to remind everyone about it as often as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

I might be the only one who actually LIKES McGinely around here...lol

Nope ur not the only one :D

I don't but if you watch a few hours of sky's coverage you'll find plenty.

Don't get me wrong he seems like a nice man, just not my cup of tea as a commentator .

NDWC wrote: »

I don't but if you watch a few hours of sky's coverage you'll find plenty.

Don't get me wrong he seems like a nice man, just not my cup of tea as a commentator .
    As I said above, part of his job with Sky is to push the RC. That's the commercial side of it (and he is a commercial man) but it doesn't detract from his informed and interesting on-course comments.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sarah Stirk can look good at times as well as knowing her golf. Every little helps.

McGinley is pretty good. Ewan Murray is a bit "know it all". Butch Harman is very good technically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Kenneth Ferrie was a guest once, also David Horsey. Both were good, and Ferrie was very good on the simulator. He was 6th in the US open in 2006 and won a couple of big European tour events. Horsey was placed in the Hassan trophy a couple of Weeks later, he said he was playing well and would be thereabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Why so little live coverage? Have it on here now and 3 lads in studio talking shìt.
    Show the golf and quit the over analysis of every single tiny thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

My understanding is that the masters committee dictate the coverage.
    Their tournament their rules is their motto.

RGS wrote: »

You'd have thought that anyone with even a passing interest would know that but we still get people blaming the broadcasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

They shouldn't be allowed to dictate coverage. This is a world tournament run by the pga.

The pga tour need to grow a set and stop fawning to the demands of old men in stuffy jackets.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

They shouldn't be allowed to dictate coverage. This is a world tournament run by the pga.

The pga tour need to grow a set and stop fawning to the demands of old men in stuffy jackets.

You tell 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

No its not, its a tournament held on a private course and is accredited by the PGA, the European Tour and the Japan Golf Tour. PGA have no say at all.

danganabu wrote: »
    No its not, its a tournament held on a private course and is accredited by the PGA, the European Tour and the Japan Golf Tour. PGA have no say at all.

So the pga have no input? Where does the funding and prize money come from?

Surely PGA could withdraw support for it or take it off the schedule.

It's not so long ago that they didn't allow women or blacks play golf, it's about time these grumpy old men arrived into the 21st century.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Whatever about the first couple of days. Is anyone really interested in watching these lads who are completely out of contention playing for money and world ranking points.
    I couldn't care less about anyone worse than even par tbh.

kiers47 wrote: »
    Whatever about the first couple of days. Is anyone really interested in watching these lads who are completely out of contention playing for money and world ranking points.
    I couldn't care less about anyone worse than even par tbh.

It's better than watching the Manchester Derby anyway, that's for sure :(

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

danganabu wrote: »

So the pga have no input? Where does the funding and prize money come from?

Surely PGA could withdraw support for it or take it off the schedule.

It's not so long ago that they didn't allow women or blacks play golf, it's about time these grumpy old men arrived into the 21st century.
    I don't think you understand how these things work. Augusta National can do whatever they like (a lot of it is good) and the PGA, CBS and probably God can go whistle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

I don't think you understand how these things work. Augusta National can do whatever they like (a lot of it is good) and the PGA, CBS and probably God can go whistle.
    Enlighten us on what is good about what they do

Advertisement