Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black screen when booting Debian

Options
  • 30-03-2017 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi all, hoping someone here can help.

I recently installed an RX 480 GPU (8GB MSI Gaming X) and ever since I've been unable to boot into Debian 8 (also tried Ubuntu which doesn't work either). It begins to boot but as soon as it switches to X from the command line the screen goes blank, which seems to definitely indicate a graphics issue. I can boot fine with nomodeset but I'd much rather get proper graphics acceleration going. I tried installing the latest Linux kernel from the Debian 8 backports repo along with the latest AMDGPU driver, but still no joy. Has anyone else any ideas?

EDIT: I should add that it works fine in Windows, so I don't think the card itself is faulty

Advertisement