Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving other cars 3rd Party - extension

Options
  • 30-03-2017 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi there, 

I have a fully comp policy with Liberty and I note on my policy that I am covered to drive other vehicles 3rd Party, with the owner's permission.

2 questions:

1) Is there a restriction on maximum engine capacity/size on the car that is to be driven third party?

2) Does the owner of the car need to have an insurance policy in place on the car that is being driven third party by me? 

Many thanks.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 235 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Sean

Veloce wrote: »
    Hi there, 

I have a fully comp policy with Liberty and I note on my policy that I am covered to drive other vehicles 3rd Party, with the owner's permission.

2 questions:

1) Is there a restriction on maximum engine capacity/size on the car that is to be driven third party?

2) Does the owner of the car need to have an insurance policy in place on the car that is being driven third party by me? 

Many thanks.
    Hi Veloce

If your Certificate of Motor Insurance says so we cover the policy holder on a third party only basis for driving any other private car which is not owned by you, your employer or hired under a hire purchase or lease agreement.

The car does not have to be insured but it would otherwise have to be roadworthy with a valid NCT and tax. There is no restriction on the engine size. You can find the full terms and condition on page sixteen of your policy booklet. I have attached the below link to our policy booklet for your convenience.

https://www.libertyinsurance.ie/assets/Uploads/Private-Motor-Vehicle-Policy-Document.pdf

Hope this helps.

Regards

Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Veloce wrote: »
    Hi there, 

2 questions:

Many thanks.
    Hi Veloce

If your Certificate of Motor Insurance says so we cover the policy holder on a third party only basis for driving any other private car which is not owned by you, your employer or hired under a hire purchase or lease agreement.

The car does not have to be insured but it would otherwise have to be roadworthy with a valid NCT and tax. There is no restriction on the engine size. You can find the full terms and condition on page sixteen of your policy booklet. I have attached the below link to our policy booklet for your convenience.

https://www.libertyinsurance.ie/assets/Uploads/Private-Motor-Vehicle-Policy-Document.pdf

Hope this helps.

Regards

Seán
    Thanks for this Sean!

Noted on no restriction on engine size.

V

• Registered Users Posts: 12 paulh266

Hi,

Can you clarify what 
    3. the use of the vehicle is covered in the certificate of insurance;
    means?

Thanks,
    Paul

• Company Representative Posts: 112 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Lisa K

Hi paulh266, this is in reference to the class of use on your certificate of insurance. Regards Lisa

Advertisement