Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem - Very large raised bed

Options
  • 30-03-2017 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently moved house and there is an existing raised bed in situ. Problem is it is very big and impossible to access the centre - 18ft bt 9 ft approx. internal dimesnions - build with sleepers. Other than this it has been very well maintained with rhubarb and herbs etc growing at one end.

I will definitely not be subdividing it this year. Any suggestions on how to make it workable? As it stands I'm thinking of getting 2X 10ft scaffolding boards that can span the width and using these as a platform that I can move along as needed - the problem I see with this is that once things start growing I won't be able to move these along the length of the bed.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am not really seeing the problem here? Two 10ft lengths will go from end to end of an 18ft bed. If you want a bit of extra width to work from just have a shorter length that you move alongside the two 10ft lengths. Possibly put a bit of an upright or handle on it to make it easy to move.

You will of course lose the 1ft wide strip where the planks are, with another 1ft or so beside it for moving the other section, but you cannot reach the centre as it is at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Mine are 8ft by 4 ft, and I can get to the middle of those from either side. 
    If you put your 10ft planks (maybe cut them to 9ft maybe for neatness) along it as platforms, put in 3 of those platforms, dividing your area into 4 sections, each will be 9ft by ~4.5ft . (planks will take up some room, so just under 4.5ft.)
    I'd maybe leave one of your sections fallow for a year under old carpet/cardboard, it's a lot to take on!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

looksee wrote: »
    I am not really seeing the problem here? Two 10ft lengths will go from end to end of an 18ft bed. If you want a bit of extra width to work from just have a shorter length that you move alongside the two 10ft lengths. Possibly put a bit of an upright or handle on it to make it easy to move.

You will of course lose the 1ft wide strip where the planks are, with another 1ft or so beside it for moving the other section, but you cannot reach the centre as it is at the moment.

I mean using the 10ft boards to span the width not the length. Still leaves a large area either side once thing grow

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

pwurple wrote: »
    Mine are 8ft by 4 ft, and I can get to the middle of those from either side. 
    If you put your 10ft planks (maybe cut them to 9ft maybe for neatness) along it as platforms, put in 3 of those platforms, dividing your area into 4 sections, each will be 9ft by ~4.5ft . (planks will take up some room, so just under 4.5ft.)
    I'd maybe leave one of your sections fallow for a year under old carpet/cardboard, it's a lot to take on!

Yeah this might work better than one moving platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Split it up the middle with 4 10ft planks laid in two rows side by side leaves you two beds 18ft x 3.5ft.

Or you could dig out 9ft x 4.5ft from the middle of the raised bed making it U shaped. This would leave you 4.5ft width all over and a lot easier access to all the bed from the ground.

• Advertisement
Advertisement