Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second-hand touring bikes

Options
  • 30-03-2017 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Looking to buy my first touring bike. I'm happy to go secondhand as the new ones seem a bit out of budget, although if anyone has any suggestions on affordable new touring bikes I'm open to hearing them!
    I'm planning on cycling the Eurovelo 15 route along the Rhine River in September. Approx 10 days cycling.
    Anyone know where's best to find a good secondhand touring bike? Have looked at the cycling adverts but haven't spotted any for sale recently.

FYI I'm female, 5'5/165cm in height

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Wont be easy to get one second hand you to be honest they are a bit of a niche item. Depending on how many panniers you want to carry you might be happier on a mountain bike. You will pick them up second hand just check if have mounts for a rack. My other half tours on a Specialized sirrus. They can be had second hand and have mounts for racks. They also have a triple ring which is becoming a rarity but very handy for hills when fully loaded with tent clothes etc. Se a few on adverts might have your size id say you need a small. Not  a bad bike bit heavy but thats better when touring if you are carrying stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

If you keep an eye on DoneDeal / Adverts you might find something, as mentioned though the second-hand market is relatively small for touring bikes especially in that size.

Unless you have concerns re comfort I'd look at fitting out a hybrid or road bike for touring (if you already own one of these, if not obviously spend the few extra quid for a touring bike if that's what you're after!). There's loads of options for this if you google it, you might have to pack a bit lighter but it's definitely do-able.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MunchkinKid

Thanks for the advice. Yea I actually have a Giant Avail roadie which I love and use for commuting. Was thinking of just kitting it out for touring, packing light and using that. Maybe that'll be the way to go if I can make it work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Thanks for the advice. Yea I actually have a Giant Avail roadie which I love and use for commuting. Was thinking of just kitting it out for touring, packing light and using that. Maybe that'll be the way to go if I can make it work!

Use the giant.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13064043

Service bike before trip new cables, bar tape, pads, tyres etc.

Depending on combined wright consider a well built high spoke count wheels with a wide strong rim. Mavic 719, dt Swiss 540 etc.

Have a few emergency essentials; chain tool, quick link, gear cable while travelling as light as you can

Enjoy some lovely countryside for a bike trip

ford2600 wrote: »
    Use the giant.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13064043

Service bike before trip new cables, bar tape, pads, tyres etc.

Depending on combined wright consider a well built high spoke count wheels with a wide strong rim. Mavic 719, dt Swiss 540 etc.

Have a few emergency essentials; chain tool, quick link, gear cable while travelling as light as you can

Enjoy some lovely countryside for a bike trip

Good advice. I'll work on making the Giant work, it's a brilliant bike. I'll do a few shorter trips at home beforehand as a tester. Only worry for me is the comfort side of it but I'll get plenty of riding in before then to see how it goes.

Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Put on the fattest, easiest rolling tyres you can fit. If the bike has lugs for a carrier, use panniers, otherwise have a look at Carradice saddle bags (you can get pretty big ones) and consider a handlebar bag (very handy for eating on the go or just having stuff handy without having to stop).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Just one thing to be aware of if kitting out a mountain bike, commuter, cyclocross bike is that.......especially if you've splashed out on a rack, panniers etc.,.......a touring bike will have a longer chainstay tube, ie. the rear wheel will be a few inches further back from the downtube.
    The idea of this is that when you rotate your pedals your heels won't be hitting off the panniers. I've seen it. It's not pretty.

As you'll be told here, you can tour on anything, which you can, but......there's a reason why they build dedicated tourers.

Just google a few pics of touring bikes and look at the gap between the rear tyre and the downtube compared to road/commuter/cross bikes.
    If you're cycling down the Rhine a few hundred miles, your heels banging off the rear panniers will be fun, not.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?page_id=148087

Thanks @Planet X. Definitely something to be aware of. Have looked online at various pannier racks and the reviews tend to say whether people have had trouble with the heel clearance on non-touring bikes. Seems like some of them you can just about get by having the panniers pushed as far back as possible to allow clearance. Will cross that bridge when I come to it!
    I reckon two pannier bags and a handlebar bag should do the trick. I should have no problem packing light. Will decide nearer the time whether we'll go the camping or credit card accommodation route which will obviously affect weight/luggage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Thanks @Planet X. Definitely something to be aware of. Have looked online at various pannier racks and the reviews tend to say whether people have had trouble with the heel clearance on non-touring bikes. Seems like some of them you can just about get by having the panniers pushed as far back as possible to allow clearance. Will cross that bridge when I come to it!
    I reckon two pannier bags and a handlebar bag should do the trick. I should have no problem packing light. Will decide nearer the time whether we'll go the camping or credit card accommodation route which will obviously affect weight/luggage

You could go handlebar and seatpost and skip panniers.

I think @jive started a thread on seatpost options one time.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100475866

If you go credit card you can go very light.

Are you based in Ireland or Germany?

Cheers ford2600. Also seems like a good option.

Based in Ireland, planning on flying to Basel and starting the Eurovelo 15 there, finishing up in Netherlands and flying home from Amsterdam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I have a hybrid bike I got from Halfords and I think it is more suitable for touring than the road bike I have. It has a triple ring and 27.5 wheels.

I think a triple ring would be really beneficial. A lot of road bikes won't have strong enough wheels nor the triple ring.

I see a lot of the bikes that are rented out for the camino in Spain have a front suspension. But you won't need that for normal road terrain.

The only issue with my hybrid bike is that it is very difficult to fit full mudguards on it. The front deraileur is in the way and the tyres are probably too wide on mine and a bit too knobbly for tarmac road.

As mentioned above a proper touring bike is probably the best bet but for a once off trip adapting a hybrid/road should be fine.

ford2600 wrote: »
    You could go handlebar and seatpost and skip panniers.

I think @jive started a thread on seatpost options one time.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100475866

If you go credit card you can go very light.

Are you based in Ireland or Germany?

I got this bag so may as well comment on it if it's being considered - they're well built and mine is still going strong. Can be a bit fiddly to attach but that's a minor gripe really!

I use it daily when commuting, has enough space for laptop, lunch, set of clothes and side pockets which I use for carrying tools, tubes and a rain jacket.

If you coupled that with a handlebar bag you'd definitely get a few days of necessities if you can pack light.

jive wrote: »
    I got this bag so may as well comment on it if it's being considered - they're well built and mine is still going strong. Can be a bit fiddly to attach but that's a minor gripe really!

I use it daily when commuting, has enough space for laptop, lunch, set of clothes and side pockets which I use for carrying tools, tubes and a rain jacket.

If you coupled that with a handlebar bag you'd definitely get a few days of necessities if you can pack light.

Thanks @jive. Which bag do you have? Carradice? How many litres? They look slick I must say. Not that that's too important to me but it's a bonus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I was told in a shop that Dawes touring bikes from the 19…um…80s? with 531 tubing are a popular option; people strip them down and replace the wheels, handlebars, drive train, saddle and carrier/s with modern lightweight versions and they're strong and nippy. For a moment I was delighted, then looked at my old Dawes and found it was 501 tubing :(

Thanks @jive. Which bag do you have? Carradice? How many litres? They look slick I must say. Not that that's too important to me but it's a bonus!

Yeh Carradice, this one below:

http://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/saddle-packs-sqr-bags/super-c-sqr-tour

Chuchote wrote: »
    I was told in a shop that Dawes touring bikes from the 19…um…80s? with 531 tubing are a popular option; people strip them down and replace the wheels, handlebars, drive train, saddle and carrier/s with modern lightweight versions and they're strong and nippy. For a moment I was delighted, then looked at my old Dawes and found it was 501 tubing :(

Pity! Yea I'm going to keep an eye out for an old tourer/something I can adapt on the cheap but if not I'll go ahead with the Giant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Pity! Yea I'm going to keep an eye out for an old tourer/something I can adapt on the cheap but if not I'll go ahead with the Giant.

On the cheap?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    :pac::pac::pac::
    :eek::eek::eek:

It was going to cost something like €800 to replace wheels, drivetrain, handlebars, etc with light modern components!

Chuchote wrote: »
    On the cheap?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    :pac::pac::pac::
    :eek::eek::eek:

It was going to cost something like €800 to replace wheels, drivetrain, handlebars, etc with light modern components!

Haha I mean more of a bike that's ready to go.. throw a pannier on and service it up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I have a Dawes Horizon, which I think is about the cheapest tourer Dawes do. It's very good as a general-purpose bike, which was primarily why I bought it; I haven't done any touring with it, but I think it would do that perfectly too.

I got it new, over seven years ago; I don't know whether there's much of a second-hand market. I didn't see much sign of a second-hand market back when I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

jive wrote: »

Rose have a cheapish set of attachable rack and bag (compared to most).
    https://www.rosebikes.com/article/xtreme-touring-set-i/aid:17227
    It's supposed to take 10kg but the bag itself is quite small so unless you pack very tight indeed you won't get 10kg into it. Haven't tested it over long distance yet but I find even on short enough rides the metal qr catch for the seatpost rubs annoyingly against my leg - I imagine this would be a big issue for multi-day trips.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Whats the budget? Spacycles in the UK often have second hand or unsold thorns that may do the job, but personally for a 10 day trip, unless something you are going to invest alot more time in, then a decent seat post mounted rack and a decent handlebar bag. Look up hostels and swimming pools etc. you can stop and take showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I have a Carradice Super C saddlebag (24 litres) with the quick release support bracket and a Super C handlebar bag (7 litres). I have done a few 7 to 10 day tours in Spain/Portugal comfortably with them. Never camped but certainly you can carry enough in them for that length of time if not camping.

Not cheap but they have paid for themselves at this stage.

I was thinking of a longer tour and camping but as I use a road bike I was going to go the trailer Route if I were to do this. Something like a Carry Freedom trailer.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/carry-freedom?keywordRedirectTerm=carry%252Bfreedom&_requestid=19891456

Again not cheap but a lifetime purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I picked up a Tourer on donedeal.ie a couple of years ago, but I was waiting about 4 months for something decent to come up. I eventually picked it up in Killarney, though it was well worth the extra cost to go down on the train.

They are a serious niche item here, most of what you see are modified hybrids and if you want a touring bike for a few years i'd go the distance and get a proper one.

Mine was a standard Claud Butler Regent, all I've done since is change tyres to Schwalbe Marathon Plus in the fattest size and butterfly handlebars (personal choice).

Ortlieb panniers are about €100 a pair and well worth the money. Properly waterproof, dustproof and will last you years. Handlebar bag is a must, but get a small one that clips on and off easily as well as having a shoulder strap.

An alternative is to get a bike from Decathlon in Belfast. i met a few on the continent who had this and they were happy with them. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/hoprider-700-womens-city-hybrid-bike-id_8307667.html

I did Eurovelo 6 from Basel a couple of years ago, did a lot of the Rhine a good few years back when living in Germany, they're well worth doing.

Red Kev wrote: »
    I picked up a Tourer on donedeal.ie a couple of years ago, but I was waiting about 4 months for something decent to come up. I eventually picked it up in Killarney, though it was well worth the extra cost to go down on the train.

They are a serious niche item here, most of what you see are modified hybrids and if you want a touring bike for a few years i'd go the distance and get a proper one.

Mine was a standard Claud Butler Regent, all I've done since is change tyres to Schwalbe Marathon Plus in the fattest size and butterfly handlebars (personal choice).

Ortlieb panniers are about €100 a pair and well worth the money. Properly waterproof, dustproof and will last you years. Handlebar bag is a must, but get a small one that clips on and off easily as well as having a shoulder strap.

An alternative is to get a bike from Decathlon in Belfast. i met a few on the continent who had this and they were happy with them. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/hoprider-700-womens-city-hybrid-bike-id_8307667.html

I did Eurovelo 6 from Basel a couple of years ago, did a lot of the Rhine a good few years back when living in Germany, they're well worth doing.

I'd say you were delighted with that find! I will trawl donedeal over the next few months to see if anything comes up, if not I'm happy to take the Giant probably with saddlebag and handlebar bag.

Looking forward to the Eurovelo 15. Chose it mainly as it's my first cycle tour (although I cycle every day for commuting and leisure and love it) AND I'm going with my Dad (first cycling tour also) and they say the route is easy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I'd say you were delighted with that find! I will trawl donedeal over the next few months to see if anything comes up, if not I'm happy to take the Giant probably with saddlebag and handlebar bag.

Looking forward to the Eurovelo 15. Chose it mainly as it's my first cycle tour (although I cycle every day for commuting and leisure and love it) AND I'm going with my Dad (first cycling tour also) and they say the route is easy :rolleyes:

The Rhine is essentially flat. It technically goes downhill by about 300m from Basel, but you won't notice it. Can highly recommend Euro Velo 6 as well, going west to St Brevin / St Nazaire. It's a lot prettier and a lot more varied than the Rhine, all along canals or rivers.

There's a train line always within less than 5 km of the route, so you can hop on that if you're tired.

I'd recommend it above the Rhine.

Red Kev wrote: »
    The Rhine is essentially flat. It technically goes downhill by about 300m from Basel, but you won't notice it. Can highly recommend Euro Velo 6 as well, going west to St Brevin / St Nazaire. It's a lot prettier and a lot more varied than the Rhine, all along canals or rivers.

There's a train line always within less than 5 km of the route, so you can hop on that if you're tired.

I'd recommend it above the Rhine.

Thanks for the recommendation. Will have a google!

Advertisement