Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering in Cork for 14 and 15 year old?

Options
  • 30-03-2017 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All,

I would really appreciate if someone could give me a few tips on how to find volunteering jobs for teenagers (14, 15-year-old). Due to child protection and insurance issues, many places offer positions for over 18s only. Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is a group called 'Localise' who run community volunteering opportunities for young teenagers in schools and groups. They have a Facebook page might be worth contacting them through.

St. John's Ambulance have an under 18s section, though I'm not sure how low their age restriction goes.
    http://www.stjohn.ie/volunteer-type/how-to-become-volunteer/

It might be worth contacting http://www.volunteer.ie/ and ask specifically about under 18s. They will always be welcome on street and beach tidy-ups etc..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭donaldtramp

You need to be garda vetted m9

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kasiapyrz

Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

It's up to the organisation itself to decide if they want to vet under 18's. I'd say it's more down to the organisation itself not having it's staff vetted (they probably don't need to be) and by taking on under 18's they would be in breach of legislation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It also depends what work you are doing. You do not need Garda vetting to help tidy up a beach, but obviously do need it if working in a centre for people with special needs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement