Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Careless driving convition

Options
  • 30-03-2017 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭

does a careless driving conviction ever expire or do i have to tell motor insurance companies about it forever. it happened over 10 years ago.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

irishgeo wrote: »
    does a careless driving conviction ever expire or do i have to tell motor insurance companies about it forever. it happened over 10 years ago.

I was convicted of careless driving 10 years ago, it remains attached to your record for life.

HOWEVER!!!!!!

After 7 years it is not disclosed.

Most companies only ask for convictions within the last 5 years.

Mine no longer appears for vetting either but indefinitely remains on the garda pulse system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

yes after 7 years it's classed as a spent conviction, meaning you don't have to disclose it to insurance company's when getting a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Spent convinction legislation doesn't matter and insurance companies ask if ever. They don't restrict to 5 years. That's claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

peteb2 wrote: »
    Spent convinction legislation doesn't matter and insurance companies ask if ever. They don't restrict to 5 years. That's claims.
    I got a quote the other day (can't remember which company though) and they specifically said not to disclose convictions that were older than 5 (or maybe it was 7, couldn't swear to it but it was definitely a single digit!) years.

First time I've ever seen that, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

peteb2 wrote: »

They can ask all they want - the conviction no longer exists if spent.

The legislation would be utterly useless if you could simply ask people to continue to disclose. Insurers love people to fall for it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

L1011 wrote: »
    They can ask all they want - the conviction no longer exists if spent.

The legislation would be utterly useless if you could simply ask people to continue to disclose. Insurers love people to fall for it though.

It depends on the wording though.
    'have you ever been convicted ?'
    The conviction might not exist anymore but you were convicted at some stage .

9935452 wrote: »

It doesn't. What would be the point of the legislation if someone could just ask the same question a tiny bit differently?

That's their way of trying to catch you out.

You declare a conviction they'll load you to the hilt.

€€€€€€€€€€'s

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

KC161 wrote: »

€€€€€€€€€€'s

I didn't get a quote when I ticked conviction and I did when I left it out.

If they could ask for penalty points in the same way and they never expired you would never get a decent quote.

irishgeo wrote: »
    I didn't get a quote when I ticked conviction and I did when I left it out.

If they could ask for penalty points in the same way and they never expired you would never get a decent quote.

That's nearly always the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

KC161 wrote: »

€€€€€€€€€€'s

True but if they ask were you ever convicted and you answer no you might be risking your insurance being cancelled for non disclosure.
    It doesnt matter if the legislation has changed.
    If the insurance company asks whether you were ever convicted you should tell them .

True but if they ask were you ever convicted and you answer no you might be risking your insurance being cancelled for non disclosure.
    It doesnt matter if the legislation has changed.
    If the insurance company asks whether you were ever convicted you should tell them .

Except the legislation was changed to stop this. They can ask any way they want but conviction is still gone. You do not need to disclose it, they can't find out and if they did it could not be considered non disclosure as it doesn't exist anymore.

Advertisement