Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension - Transfer or leave it where it is?

• 30-03-2017 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a pension with a previous company (I worked there and contributed to the pension from 2006 - 2013). When I left that company I went into a company that had no pension scheme, so I left it where it was. It has continued to increase in value as time has gone on.

I started my current job in 2015 and am part of this companies pension scheme. Is there an advantage to transferring my old pension lump sum over to my current scheme or should I leave it where it is until I retire in 30 years and then pull it down separately to the state pension and my current active private pension?? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

It would only make sense in my opinion to transfer it to the new scheme if the fees for the new schemes are (significant) lower than the fees of the old scheme...

If you keep them seperate you have the advantage of additional diversification and you can retire the schemes at different ages.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Merowig wrote: »
    It would only make sense in my opinion to transfer it to the new scheme if the fees for the new schemes are (significant) lower than the fees of the old scheme...

If you keep them seperate you have the advantage of additional diversification and you can retire the schemes at different ages.

No you can't. The rules relating to the old scheme will still apply including NRD. Taking retirement benefits any earlier will require the trustees consent.

No you can't. The rules relating to the old scheme will still apply including NRD. Taking retirement benefits any earlier will require the trustees consent.
    Yes you can when you are over 50 years old and have the consent of the trustees and/or the company as your said yourself.
    Or at any time if you are in ill health.

As said having several pots opens to the possibility to retire them at different ages (given consent and you are over 50).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yes you can when you are over 50 years old and have the consent of the trustees and/or the company as your said yourself.
    Or at any time if you are in ill health.

As said having several pots opens to the possibility to retire them at different ages (given consent and you are over 50).

Transferring the retained benefits out into a PRB is the way to go. Full control over investment and retirement including early retirement.

You need to be careful giving pub type advice because it's incorrect and unsound.

I've seen several schemes refusing an early retirement request.

What was incorrect? Yes you need approval - but that's it.

I personally would not transferr it to a PRB - as this is less flexible for my needs (e.g. it is unsure if a PRB can be transferred abroad - a financial advisor I spoke with didn't know if its possible - you can though transfer a PRSA and and an OPS... ). Also a PRB usually has higher charges than an Occupational Pension Scheme.

Transferring to a PRB would only be attractive after the Occupational Pension scheme declined early retirement and you are sure you want to retire that amount.

• Advertisement

What was incorrect? Yes you need approval - but that's it.

I personally would not transferr it to a PRB - as this is less flexible for my needs (e.g. it is unsure if a PRB can be transferred abroad - a financial advisor I spoke with didn't know if its possible - you can though transfer a PRSA and and an OPS... ). Also a PRB usually has higher charges than an Occupational Pension Scheme.

Transferring to a PRB would only be attractive after the Occupational Pension scheme declined early retirement and you are sure you want to retire that amount.

You might not get approval. That's the point. You also control the investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

You might not get approval. That's the point. You also control the investment.

Presuming this is a DC scheme, on what grounds could trustees refuse a transfer ? I know its always in the rules but I've never understood why a transfer could be refused, assuming it is a permitted transfer under pension law.
    What reasons have you seen for refusal before (excluding DB schemes) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Presuming this is a DC scheme, on what grounds could trustees refuse a transfer ? I know its always in the rules but I've never understood why a transfer could be refused, assuming it is a permitted transfer under pension law.
    What reasons have you seen for refusal before (excluding DB schemes) ?

It'll take him a few hours to make something up.

I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

DarraghR wrote:
    It looks to be. Just compared both cards and the only major size difference is the length.

Presuming this is a DC scheme, on what grounds could trustees refuse a transfer ? I know its always in the rules but I've never understood why a transfer could be refused, assuming it is a permitted transfer under pension law. What reasons have you seen for refusal before (excluding DB schemes) ?

I've seen it happen where employee fell out with employer and left company on bad terms, tried to sue company, and Trustees refused to allow transfer or early retirement as a FU while proceedings were ongoing. But in general have yet to come across any other reason where permission was refused. Most are only too happy to have their responsibility for deferred assets removed from the scheme.

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    It'll take him a few hours to make something up.

I

You stopped mid stream :D

p.s. Bad blood (in various guises) is why Trustees might not allow early retirement. It's not that uncommon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »

You shouldn't be leaving anything like that to chance though imho. You should also not be dealing with somebody else's (the old scheme) default investments when you can handle it yourself.

You shouldn't be leaving anything like that to chance though imho. You should also not be dealing with somebody else's (the old scheme) default investments when you can handle it yourself.

You can transfer it a t a later point still to a PRB. The chance of rejecting early retirement I found to be quite slim.

And what default investments? E.g. I have several options in my OPS I can chose myself from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

You can transfer it a t a later point still to a PRB. The chance of rejecting early retirement I found to be quite slim.

And what default investments? E.g. I have several options in my OPS I can chose myself from.

Who knows what the default investments are? Point is the OP can't do anything about them whilst still in the scheme. Those decisions aren't possible.

I'll ignore the opening comment as it's silly.

The OPS I came across so far offer multiple investment options. You can deceide from the options made available.

I don't see what the problem should be....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

I have one in the UK not a whole lot in it, under 10k. but with brexit and whatnot. leave it where it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Only really an issue for DB schemes. They wouldn't care either way on DC.

Transferring the retained benefits out into a PRB is the way to go. Full control over investment and retirement including early retirement.

You need to be careful giving pub type advice because it's incorrect and unsound.

I've seen several schemes refusing an early retirement request.

A nice little earner for your advisor. Commission on the new product.

guile4582 wrote: »
    I have one in the UK not a whole lot in it, under 10k. but with brexit and whatnot. leave it where it is?

The UK have just changed their transfer rules, and at the moment no Irish pension company are taking UK transfers.

• Advertisement

McGaggs wrote: »
    A nice little earner for your advisor. Commission on the new product.

Depends on what's agreed. Disclosure is a requirement don't forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

The UK have just changed their transfer rules, and at the moment no Irish pension company are taking UK transfers.

This is not correct. Multiple companies are still accepting transfers. Legislative changes made a couple of years ago have all been ironed out and clarified by HMRC, the only recent change was the issue of tax treatment as announced by Govt a few weeks ago. This has not affected the ability to transfer funds to Irish schemes.

tatumkelly wrote: »
    This is not correct. Multiple companies are still accepting transfers. Legislative changes made a couple of years ago have all been ironed out and clarified by HMRC, the only recent change was the issue of tax treatment as announced by Govt a few weeks ago. This has not affected the ability to transfer funds to Irish schemes.

It has affected the willingness of the administrators to accept the transfers. Try to get a transfer done today and you'll struggle.

It has affected the willingness of the administrators to accept the transfers. Try to get a transfer done today and you'll struggle.

That's very different to your remark that 'no Irish companies are accepting transfers'.

They are slow to process and get the funds into the country but that's where the struggle ends IME.

That's very different to your remark that 'no Irish companies are accepting transfers'.

They are slow to process and get the funds into the country but that's where the struggle ends IME.

It has affected their willingness to accept transfers in that they will not currently accept them. No UK scheme can transfer abroad without confirmation from the accepting scheme that they comply with the QROPS regulations. No-one is currently willing to do so.

It has affected their willingness to accept transfers in that they will not currently accept them. No UK scheme can transfer abroad without confirmation from the accepting scheme that they comply with the QROPS regulations. No-one is currently willing to do so.

Has this change occurred in the past 10 days? If not, then there are in fact at least 2 Irish providers complying with QROPS regs.

Has this change occurred in the past 10 days? If not, then there are in fact at least 2 Irish providers complying with QROPS regs.

It's just come in this week. No Irish provider is currently able to comply with QROPS regs.

Thanks for that update.

Not sure what's changed in regulation in the last 2 weeks that they can't comply.

Thanks for that update.

Not sure what's changed in regulation in the last 2 weeks that they can't comply.

• Advertisement

Advertisement