Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetes & Lucozade: Important Notice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

How can they call it 'original' if it is different from the original?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

echo beach wrote: »
    How can they call it 'original' if it is different from the original?:confused:

Well that's another question. But, at the end of the day, once folk are aware of the change, then that is a good thing.

I think the change has to do with this new sugar tax, and unfortunately... they have cut the glucose by 50%. I'm actually amazed that this change hasn't been mentioned in basic media circles. Any-who, it's mentioned here, so be well folks and double the intake of lucozade to keep above 4.0

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco have nutritional info for 1L and 380ml bottles. The 1L figures appear to be the new ones.

380ml
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=251602514
    Lucozade Energy Original
    Ingredients

Carbonated Water, Glucose Syrup (25%), Acids (Citric Acid, Lactic Acid), Flavouring, Preservatives (Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Bisulphite), Caffeine, Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid), Colours (Sunset Yellow, Ponceau 4R)

per 100ml
    Carbohydrate (g) 17
    of which sugars (g) 8.7

1L https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=254855083
    Lucozade Energy Original
    Ingredients

Carbonated Water, Glucose Syrup (13%), Acids (Citric Acid, Lactic Acid), Acidity Regulator (Sodium Citrate), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Caffeine, Sweeteners (Aspartame, Acesulfame-K), Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid), Colours (Sunset Yellow, Ponceau 4R), Flavourings

per 100ml
    Carbohydrate (g) 8.9
    of which sugars (g) 4.5

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I used 7-Up instead as I hate lucosade, I checked the carbs on that and it has gone down by a third without any notice...recheck all carbs for sugary drinks :(

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I used 7-Up instead as I hate lucosade, I checked the carbs on that and it has gone down by a third without any notice...recheck all carbs for sugary drinks :(

I looked at 7up 2L in tesco yesterday, it was 11g carbs per 100ml. This sounds normal to me.

What value was yours?

I also saw full sugar lucozade bottles in tesco in multipacks, it did not look like old stock.

I wondered if some are reducing sugar in the UK market and then its hit & miss what you get in the shops here, as some shops will stock UK market stuff alongside irish stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I have seen both " originals" for sale side by side in my local spar...the old one with orange label still has same sugar content....the new original bottle a kind of purple colour has the new sugar content and tastes rotten....different labels but both say original..girl working in shop recons the older bottle is been phased out as they only got the newest bottle in this week...

harr wrote: »
    the new original bottle a kind of purple colour has the new sugar content and tastes rotten.
    This might be lucozade zero. I saw a new bottle in work and checked to see the content, and it was sugar free, not simply reduced.

2017-02-17-10-10-380mlzerooriginalpmpcmyk_cropped_90.jpg

I did not notice the "zero" writing in the background at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

rubadub wrote: »
    This might be lucozade zero. I saw a new bottle in work and checked to see the content, and it was sugar free, not simply reduced.

2017-02-17-10-10-380mlzerooriginalpmpcmyk_cropped_90.jpg

I did not notice the "zero" writing in the background at first.
    That's the one...I am only noticing the zero now :rolleyes: all I seen was original on bottle...

rubadub wrote: »
    I looked at 7up 2L in tesco yesterday, it was 11g carbs per 100ml. This sounds normal to me.

What value was yours?

I also saw full sugar lucozade bottles in tesco in multipacks, it did not look like old stock.

I wondered if some are reducing sugar in the UK market and then its hit & miss what you get in the shops here, as some shops will stock UK market stuff alongside irish stuff.
    The older version had 17g/100ml...:(

CathyMoran wrote: »
    The older version had 17g/100ml...:(

something is wrong there, have you got an old bottle/can. 17g is extraordinarily high. Lucozade was 17g/100ml, and glucose does not taste as sweet as sugar -otherwise it would have been sickly sweet.

I not diabetic or anything, but have been reading nutritional info on labels since I was a kid and a value like that would have stuck out like a sore thumb. You can check out 7up labels on google, all are as I would expect, around the 11g mark.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35831125
    Fizzy drinks incurring higher-rate tax - grams of sugar per 100ml
    Old Jamaica Ginger Beer Extra Fiery 15.7
    Rockstar Punched Guava 15.6
    Old Jamaica Ginger Beer 15.2
    Mountain Dew 13.0
    Coke Cherry 11.2
    Pepsi Cola 11.0
    Red Bull 11.0
    Monster Origin Energy Drink 11.0
    7 Up 11.0
    Coca Cola 10.6
    Fentiman's Cherrytree Cola 10.5
    Irn Bru 10.3
    Cherry 7-Up 10.0
    San Pellegrino lemon 8.9
    Vimto Regular 9.1
    Lucozade Energy Original 8.7

• Advertisement

It was that high last year and I was silly and assumed that it would stay the same :(

Advertisement