Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a Plex box

Options
  • 30-03-2017 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have Plex running on my main PC/server, with dumb-TV logging in via a PS4.

Recently, Sony decided to carpet-ban our IP address, so we can't use any internet apps - including Plex.
    Got me thinking it would be better to have a non-proprietary solution for home streaming.

Any recommendations under €100?

(whole household is on Android phones)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have Plex running on my main PC/server, with dumb-TV logging in via a PS4.

Recently, Sony decided to carpet-ban our IP address, so we can't use any internet apps - including Plex.
    Got me thinking it would be better to have a non-proprietary solution for home streaming.

Any recommendations under €100?

(whole household is on Android phones)

I hear great things about the Mi box which runs Android tv. I have the Nvidia shield myself which is the next step up but I see the Mi recommend everywhere as a cheaper option for someone not into gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Looking at upgrading my own at the minute. Thinking something along these lines: http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_487805.html
    Has the latest Amlogic S912 octa core chip.

Edit: Same box is US $65.99/EUR 61.70 on ebay : link

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

I have a chromecast too, and while it is a very good option (Plex app on android does cast really well), it doesn't work for me in the front room as I have kids and they can use the Android box to line up movies themselves without the need for a phone/tablet of their own.
    I find the dedicated box a much better option for the front room, and use the chromecast with the bedroom TV - so depends on your needs really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Amazon Fire TV stick. I have both AFTV and Chromecast. AFTV is the dog's. Chromecast needs something to cast to it, whereas AFTV has total independence plus a small remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭delboy76

I am looking myself and was thinking of the Roku stick 3600R (new one from US). Any opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,289 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I hear great things about the Mi box which runs Android tv. I have the Nvidia shield myself which is the next step up but I see the Mi recommend everywhere as a cheaper option for someone not into gaming

Definitely avoid the MI for Plex. A great box for everything else, but it STILL has audio passthrough problems that have not been addressed since November when the issue was first brought up. Unless your entire library is encoded in something other than AC3 it's a no go. Plex blame Xiaomi and Xiaomi say it is up to Plex to fix and they are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,289 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Oat23 wrote: »
    Definitely avoid the MI for Plex. A great box for everything else, but it STILL has audio passthrough problems that have not been addressed since November when the issue was first brought up. Unless your entire library is encoded in something other than AC3 it's a no go. Plex blame Xiaomi and Xiaomi say it is up to Plex to fix and they are right.

This has been fixed now for anyone looking for a Plex machine and comes across my earlier post. The Mi is a great option for Plex now :)
    NEW IN 6.2.0:
    • Include updated translations.
    • [Mobile] Playback notifications will follow platform style.
    • [Android TV] DTS-HD HR is now supported via Passthrough.
    • [Android TV] Disabling Passthrough should really disable Passthrough.
    FIXES IN 6.2.1:
    • [Local Playback] Analysis and playback now more reliable when application is launched via "Open With".

Advertisement