Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closed/former/forgotten Limerick Pubs

• 30-03-2017 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭

I'll start in the north east with the Ark Tavern which became O'Loughlins which became Gooser's Corner.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Quins on Ellen St
    Corner Flag on Henry St

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

phog wrote: »
    Quins on Ellen St
    Corner Flag on Henry St

Bill Clintons whilst your up Henry Street direction, I think there was a place by the GPO one time and of course Wise Guys on Cecil Street and The Henry Cecil,

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Triple Crown, Athlunkard Street

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Unfortunately I can't remember names but there were two pubs at the junction of Careys Rd. and Hyde Rd., one either side of Hyde Rd.
    There was Paddy O'Sullivans on Edward St.
    The Steering Wheel and the Olympic Arms! :D
    The Desmond Arms and Daffys on Catherine St.
    Baker Place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Country Club in Caherdavin. The Davin Arms too.

Desmond Arms (High Stool), Shannon Arms (Feathery Bourkes)

Jesus .. what's with all the 'Arms'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The Davin Arms. R.I.P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭manna452121

Bowlers,The Treaty Bar,Frazers,Hassets.

zulutango wrote: »
    Country Club in Caherdavin. The Davin Arms too.

Desmond Arms (High Stool), Shannon Arms (Feathery Bourkes)

Jesus .. what's with all the 'Arms'?

As far as I know the Country Club is still open. Students have started using it. Up for sale alright.

Nevada Smiths. Riddlers. McDaids. Mojos. The Bailey. Daffys.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Jofspring wrote: »
    Nevada Smiths. Riddlers. McDaids. Mojos. The Bailey. Daffys.

Mojos/The Bailey are the Red Hen. Riddlers is recently reopened too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

The High Stool - i still get sad when i walk past it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I had right soft spot for the wicked chicken by taits clock back when I first moved to limerick.

Unfortunately I can't remember names but there were two pubs at the junction of Careys Rd. and Hyde Rd., one either side of Hyde Rd.
    There was Paddy O'Sullivans on Edward St.
    The Steering Wheel and the Olympic Arms! :D
    The Desmond Arms and Daffys on Catherine St.
    Baker Place.

Frosts and Noonan's. The Dew Drop Inn on Roxborough Road , Treacy's and the Tate on Parnell Street and there was another one on Edward Street opposite the junction with Wolfe Tone Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mart 23

Dick Devanes Athlunkard/Nicholas street

• Registered Users Posts: 20 clancywigam

I'll start in the north east with the Ark Tavern which became O'Loughlins which became Gooser's Corner.

Correction - originally the Park Tavern but the sign was damaged in a fire sometime in the 1970's leading to the P getting damaged. It was never replaced and the new name stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Correction - originally the Park Tavern but the sign was damaged in a fire sometime in the 1970's leading to the P getting damaged. It was never replaced and the new name stuck.

I think that's an old wife's tale - just like this one
    Built by Dom Dinneen in the early 1970s the Ark Tavern was one of the most popular venues in Limerick. Not only for Corbally residents but virtually everybody in Limerick enjoyed a Saturday night in the Ark. There was speculation that the premises was originally to be called the Park Tavern but when the letters were being attached to the building the weather was so bad that the letter "P" was left out to be added later. The name stuck and it was called the Ark Tavern until it was unfortunately demolished in the 1990s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Parchment wrote:
    The High Stool - i still get sad when i walk past it.

Me too. That and Quinns are sorely missed.

Termights and The Globe are my two. I was walking passed the globe just yesterday and thinking its such a waste of a building in such a prime spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

Mojos/The Bailey are the Red Hen. Riddlers is recently reopened too.

also was mac's at one point.

I was just thinking there, a few bars I used to like for pints now shamefully lost, Frawleys, The Molyneaux, The Sallyport, Wild Geese and The Holy Ground.

Pubs I never had the pleasure of a pint in such as Breda Clancy's, Hayes's, The Winning Post, McLysaghts, The Tower Inn, The Bell tavern , The Pub, a pub by Hourigans Motor Cycle shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I also have vague recollections of a lovely pub down beside King Johns Castle. Where the visitors centre would be now, beside the river. Was a great spot for the location. Did I imagine it or was it really there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

panda100 wrote: »
    I also have vague recollections of a lovely pub down beside King Johns Castle. Where the visitors centre would be now, beside the river. Was a great spot for the location. Did I imagine it or was it really there?

The Castle Lane Tavern. It was built in 1991 and lasted about 10 years.

Remember that pub on Broad Street that bought some things from Barringtons Hospital when it shut (as a public hospital). A hospital themed pub. Think it only lasted a couple of years .

zulutango wrote: »
    The Castle Lane Tavern. It was built in 1991 and lasted about 10 years.

It was still open in 2004. Didn't last long after though.

Remember that pub on Broad Street that bought some things front Barringtons Hospital when it shut (as a public hospital). A hospital themed pub. Think it only lasted a couple of years .

That had a number of titles including TOBY- which legend would have it was an acronym for Too Old to be a Yuppy. It was called The Pub for a finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

There was also Ma/Mrs Tuckers Brewery on the corner of William Street and Tanyard Lane.
    PJ's on Little Catherine Street.
    Flannery's and then Finn's on William Street.

Flannery's, William Street.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I had right soft spot for the wicked chicken by taits clock back when I first moved to limerick.

Wicked Chicken for great DJs and candle-lit pints, then around the back stairs to get through to live music in Baker Place, and eventually downstairs for the "nightclub" in the Underground (with all kinds of exotic smells drifting in from the smoking area, and endless supplies of local concert posters from the bathroom corridor ;) ) What a spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

The Friday evening after work Mecca that was Kennedy OBriens.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Layinghen wrote: »
    The Friday evening after work Mecca that was Kennedy OBriens.

Is that still an Asian restaurant?

Also, anyone remember how awful Nestor's got in its last few years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

An File wrote: »
    Is that still an Asian restaurant?

Also, anyone remember how awful Nestor's got in its last few years?

No idea about the Asian restaurant as I'm gone from Limerick a long time.

Advertisement