Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closed/former/forgotten Limerick Pubs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

zulutango wrote:
    The Castle Lane Tavern. It was built in 1991 and lasted about 10 years.

Wasn't there a museum next door?

Well McKnight's became the blind pig eventually. I remember at one point it was bought by a Scottish Presbyterian who banned the singing of rebel songs and kicked out the regulars.

chicorytip wrote:
    The Galvone Arms in Southill (I'm not aware if it's still trading or not). Also known as - "The Tub of Blood".

Was the steering wheel referred to as "the bloodbath" at some point?

Black battery in garryowen.

Scar001 wrote:
    The Granary and disco can't remember name but was inside main building.
    Docs nightclub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Is the Black Battery not just called something else?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I think the Globe became a strip club for a while. Also, if you are allowed to mention termights then I will come counter with the temple of sound. Above the highschool this place was a bit mental.

Totally erased the Temple of sound from my memory! Gosh, this thread is a real trip down memory lane. Makes you realise how ****e the night life is in Limerick now.

Yeah you are right, missed the point of the thread I did.

That's what I thought as well,'The Tub of Blood'. The Galvone was also known as the Olympic Arms, boxing, shooting and fencing being the primary sports on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

Somewhat related thread here from 11 years ago on the most hated pubs in Limerick - some that make the cut are mentioned in this thread.

Forgot about The Bank,hated that place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

panda100 wrote: »
    Totally erased the Temple of sound from my memory! Gosh, this thread is a real trip down memory lane. Makes you realise how ****e the night life is in Limerick now.

Became the Voodoo Rooms before closing.

Tropics niteclub anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Exeggcute wrote: »
    Tropics niteclub anyone?

ah .. the dark rooms upstairs where pretty much anything happened. I've just realised that Limerick had a Berghain before Berlin had :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

Dermot o Briens , William st
    Martin o Hallorans ,
    Bill Bourkes,
    Whelans, all Thomondgate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Riddlers was good fun about 10 years, you'd get all sorts in there. Quiltys out by Thomond Park on match day was always buzzin'

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

leakyboots wrote: »
    Riddlers was good fun about 10 years, you'd get all sorts in there. Quiltys out by Thomond Park on match day was always buzzin'

Riddler's was great for the teen/local band scene, before the new rules came in barring minors from pubs after 9:00 pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

loads of pictures on the down memory lane limerick albums, they are available online. Really old ones, not much in living memory

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

Is the Thirsty Scholar still around in town?I remember it was the only place that would serv us on our grad night in 1998!!
    Really miss the likes of Quinn's.Was a great spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I think it's now called The Track.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sensitive1960

Punch's(just re-opened)
    Magnums
    Pink Elephant

eyebrows63 wrote: »
    Dermot o Briens , William st
    Martin o Hallorans ,
    Bill Bourkes,
    Whelans, all Thomondgate

I think Dermot O'Briens is still going just called something else, I thought Whelans was still open as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Showing my age now:

Arthur's Warehouse which then became Saints and Scholars, and is currently occupied by the Office bar afaik.
    You also had the Shebeen bar in the basement of the old George Hotel.
    Doc's bar and nightclub in the Granary circa 1990s.
    Poldark's out in the Two Mile Inn (well before my time).
    The Works and Termites used to be located on Bedford Row just down from Supermac's.
    The Shannon Knights and then became Feathery Burke's was up on Henry Street, think they are apartments these days.
    The Red Hen had more frequent name/ownership changes over the last few decades. I remember when it was called No 23, Mac's or probably some other.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

The Theatre Club, beside the Glentworth, was 15 when I was getting served there, great for a game of pool.

Brennan's, next to Gleesons shop on Catherine Street, another good one for pool.

McGregors on Ellen Street, where I had the pleasure of seeing the barman taking a baseball bat to two members of a certain travelling family, who threw a stool over the counter when refused.

The CIE Club, great for a bit of snooker and late pints.

The Garda Club, loved going to parties there, 50 cops staring you up and down when you walked through the door.

Drunken Thadys in Thomondgate.

The Works in the Savoy, held together by cellotape.

Foleys, Shannon Street, a lottery when it came to being served.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There used to be a pub on Thomas Street where the Cornerstone restaurant is now. It was called the Old Tom for donkey years but then changed names before it eventually changed to the Cornerstone. Cannot think of the name though.

bazz26 wrote: »
    There used to be a pub on Thomas Street where the Cornerstone restaurant is now. It was called the Old Tom for donkey years but then changed names before it eventually changed to the Cornerstone. Cannot think of the name though.

Quinlivans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

bazz26 wrote:
    Arthur's Warehouse which then became Saints and Scholars, and is currently occupied by the Office bar afaik. You also had the Shebeen bar in the basement of the old George Hotel. Doc's bar and nightclub in the Granary circa 1990s. Poldark's out in the Two Mile Inn (well before my time). The Works and Termites used to be located on Bedford Row just down from Supermac's. The Shannon Knights and then became Feathery Burke's was up on Henry Street, think they are apartments these days. The Red Hen had more frequent name/ownership changes over the last few decades. I remember when it was called No 23, Mac's or probably some other.

Arthurs warehouse was where angel lane is now I think. Was my haunt when in UL. Similarly the two mile Inn and the parkway night club were the big spots with UL students at the time. Buses from plassey to the venue. Saw some great bands in both.

Ul also used the jetland center for rag week., which was the old atari factory on the site of woodies on the ennis road. Saw the cranberries before they blew up in there. 808 state as well.

Feathery bourkes was the shannon arms.

What was the bar where Lidl is now near Ivans?

You also had Club Marche in the Greenhills hotel. Was before my time though.

vkid wrote: »
    What was the bar where Lidl is now near Ivans?

The Davin Arms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Outside limerick but is Larkins pub beyond westbury still going ?

bazz26 wrote: »

It's been mentioned a few times, Quinny had it one stage and then it became The Dog House

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    Outside limerick but is Larkins pub beyond westbury still going ?

In Co.Clare, flying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Scar001

Assume The Old Stand is still going strong??
    Also used be a nightclub at the rear of Cruises hotel, accessed by an alleyway on William Street?
    A bit off topic but does anybody remember The Whimpy restaurant . Was in a basement roughly where Bank of Ireland is on O'Connelll street. Had the diner style booth seats.

Advertisement