Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closed/former/forgotten Limerick Pubs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Jmccoy1 wrote:
    The Theatre Club, beside the Glentworth, was 15 when I was getting served there, great for a game of pool.

You could get served in your school uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

You could get served in your school uniform.

Lol, I often did, just take off the jumper and tie 😂

bazz26 wrote: »
    There used to be a pub on Thomas Street where the Cornerstone restaurant is now. It was called the Old Tom for donkey years but then changed names before it eventually changed to the Cornerstone. Cannot think of the name though.

Rumors, great for the jugs of cocktails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Jaysus, i remember a lot of these, must be getting very old, drank in Riddler's for years when they owned it, the Dickinson's took it over, it kind of went downhill when they decided to lease it out

Think the Ark / Goosers will be opening up again shortly in some form, many a good Sunday afternoon out there with ShantyTown back in the day having the craic but this was all long before people spent their evenings staring at their phones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Is the Round House still going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Anyone remember McDays (not McDaids)...it used to be where Zeweton is now on Denmark St....before it was knocked down...I have a vague recollection of drinking in there but I can't be sure what year it was....if I remember correctly it was a bit alternative...like Quins...

degsie wrote: »
    Is the Round House still going?

Its called Mother Macs now. Nice place to be fair.

Its called Mother Macs now. Nice place to be fair.

+1 the McMahon brothers have turned it into a very decent and enjoyable premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Was there a pub called the central bar on Thomas street?

Pool table downstairs. Some connection with Charlie Chaplin's.

Vague memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Jmccoy1 wrote: »
    Lol, I often did, just take off the jumper and tie 😂

Wasn't it called Sharkeys for a while too ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Brennans Pub on Catherine St (used to do the nicest toasties when I was a kid) and they had snooker/pool upstairs.
    USed to love the shannon arms as a kid too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Jmccoy1 wrote: »
    +1 the McMahon brothers have turned it into a very decent and enjoyable premises.

Delighted to see James and Mike doing well.. Top lads!

Is the Munster Fair Tavern still going and is it still a Murphy's house.
    Cahills, Mulgrave street.

Yep. Tav still going. Mighty pints. Tommy and Mark (behind the bar) are sound lads. No frills but nice porter and local crowd.

In my late 20's and can't get over the amount of pubs that were in Limerick over the years. Have older siblings who would know the majority of the places mentioned and would have heard of some of them myself growing up. Nice to see ye reminiscing :pac: I love threads like this :)

elastico wrote: »

Pool table downstairs. Some connection with Charlie Chaplin's.

Vague memory.

Yep, just on the corner of Augustinian Lane, was my local. Ran by Cathleen Dunworth, her son Mike has Charlie's. A lovely woman and her daughter also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

There was a pub, the frontage is still there beside the Social Welfare office, it's been closed since as long as I remember, thinks it's called Gavin or something similar.
    Does anyone know when it closed ?

Hooked wrote: »
    Delighted to see James and Mike doing well.. Top lads!

Is it still a Murphy's house ?

Is it still a Murphy's house ?

I doubt it... They seem to be carrying a lot of new craft beers, with a rotational tap offering new choices each month. They have a Brewers night each month, and had Steve from Treaty City brewery in this week to launch his latest brew - helps gate - as part of the limerick fringe week.

They're on Facebook if you want to see what they've done with the place.

EDITED...

Sorry, you meant the Tav.

You know I'm not even sure. And it's one of my locals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

bazz26 wrote: »
    There used to be a pub on Thomas Street where the Cornerstone restaurant is now. It was called the Old Tom for donkey years but then changed names before it eventually changed to the Cornerstone. Cannot think of the name though.

The Dog House! One of the first to sell jugs of cocktails, and heaving with the Dell crowd every Friday and Saturday night. Those were the days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

elastico wrote:

Yes, there was indeed. It was on the corner of Augustinian Lane and Thomas Street. It had a beautiful original front. Became a woman's clothes shop maybe 10 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

The Henry Cecil

O'Farrells on Little Catherine Street

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mydge

The Tanyard Inn, ☺ im trying to trace some people who would have drank there 93/94. A woman called Tina but can't for the life of me think of her surname. If anyone could help ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mydge

Exeggcute wrote: »
    The Henry Cecil

O'Farrells on Little Catherine Street
    😂 worked in the cloakroom there 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Nestors on O Connel Street where it was like 3 drinks for a tenner and if ya couldn't get in you could round the back and see if the bouncers back there were any sounder :D

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Donutz

Eric's on Joseph Street. Great spot for a game of pool. Last I heard it was converted to an apartment but still kept the pub exterior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

The Lame Duck, across the Black Bridge from UL - had a few lovely quiet pints of guinness there over the years when I was in UL. Was a bit of an adventure to head over there!

(unsure if it qualifies for this thread, but it certainly is a pub I miss from my UL times)

Popoutman wrote: »
    The Lame Duck, across the Black Bridge from UL - had a few lovely quiet pints of guinness there over the years when I was in UL. Was a bit of an adventure to head over there!

(unsure if it qualifies for this thread, but it certainly is a pub I miss from my UL times)

Doesn't qualify, Lame Duck is in Clonlara Co.Clare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Doesn't qualify, Lame Duck is in Clonlara Co.Clare

Ah would you go away! Pedantic Pat!:D

Ah would you go away! Pedantic Pat!:D

I noticed today that the Sarsfield Arms on Cathedral Place is gone.
    Townhouses in its place.
    Had superb pints in Portleys last night.

• Advertisement

Just saying like.

Advertisement