Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closed/former/forgotten Limerick Pubs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

I noticed today that the Sarsfield Arms on Cathedral Place is gone.
    Townhouses in its place.
    Had superb pints in Portleys last night.

Worked there,the summer of 91,dodgy place.Got a broken bottle held to my throat,for refusing a well-known local scope.A lovely experience for a16 year old.Have to say,the locals were a lovely and very funny bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Anyone remember McDays (not McDaids)...it used to be where Zeweton is now on Denmark St....before it was knocked down...I have a vague recollection of drinking in there but I can't be sure what year it was....if I remember correctly it was a bit alternative...like Quins...

Spring 1992 it got knocked down? Was there on the last night.

An File wrote: »
    Riddler's was great for the teen/local band scene, before the new rules came in barring minors from pubs after 9:00 pm.

Used to have DJs upstairs as well. Erin Buckley invited a DJ over from Holland I believe. Unfortunately only a handful of us turned up for the rave.

Any one remember Gallaghers next to Squire McGuires on Lower Cecil St? Must be closed 15 years at least.

The owners partner did a runner with a lot of cash back to Pakistan.

YFlyer wrote: »
    The owners partner did a runner with a lot of cash back to Pakistan.

Ha! Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

Jmccoy1 wrote: »
    The Theatre Club, beside the Glentworth, was 15 when I was getting served there, great for a game of pool.

Brennan's, next to Gleesons shop on Catherine Street, another good one for pool.

McGregors on Ellen Street, where I had the pleasure of seeing the barman taking a baseball bat to two members of a certain travelling family, who threw a stool over the counter when refused.

The CIE Club, great for a bit of snooker and late pints.

The Garda Club, loved going to parties there, 50 cops staring you up and down when you walked through the door.

Drunken Thadys in Thomondgate.

The Works in the Savoy, held together by cellotape.

Foleys, Shannon Street, a lottery when it came to being served.
    i remember a massive fight in the savoy on night, members of the kellys were involved

Scar001 wrote: »
    Assume The Old Stand is still going strong??
    Also used be a nightclub at the rear of Cruises hotel, accessed by an alleyway on William Street?
    A bit off topic but does anybody remember The Whimpy restaurant . Was in a basement roughly where Bank of Ireland is on O'Connelll street. Had the diner style booth seats.
    it was not great food, the jacks were horrible, either the patrons or staff worried about flusing them

any one remember the hole in the wall on william st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Did a fine tour yesterday, commenced in Cowhey's with 2 lovely pints of Beamish before the game and then Portleys, The Geraldine, Rashers and Patsy Nicholas afterwards.
    Good Guinness was enjoyed in the 4 other establishments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Just in from the new Punches. It's nice but WAY too bright, turn the lights down lads!

• Advertisement

Just in from the new Punches. It's nice but WAY too bright, turn the lights down lads!

YES! THANK YOU! Is the stench of fresh paint gone yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Paddy O'Sullivan's on Edward St, great service and big yard out the side for smoking.

Railway Inn opposite Colbert Station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

YES! THANK YOU! Is the stench of fresh paint gone yet?

Nope!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Unfortunately I can't remember names but there were two pubs at the junction of Careys Rd. and Hyde Rd., one either side of Hyde Rd.
    There was Paddy O'Sullivans on Edward St.
    The Steering Wheel and the Olympic Arms! :D
    The Desmond Arms and Daffys on Catherine St.
    Baker Place.

Frosts and Noonan's. The Dew Drop Inn on Roxborough Road , Treacy's and the Tate on Parnell Street and there was another one on Edward Street opposite the junction with Wolfe Tone Street.

Albie Carolls was the other end of the block from Paddy Sullivan's. It was later the Corner Bar. The pub further up past Noonans and Slattery was The Chaser. There was another further up on the corner with Wolfe Tone Street and another further up on he opposite side of the road where you could get take away alcohol. Can't remember the names.

Catherine Street used to be great before heading further into town.
    The Desmond, Brennans, Sharkeys, Daffys, Ma Hogans and around the corner to catch Easy Singles live in The Perry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭moby2101

Fantastic thread op.

Limerick was a thriving busy place to go out in in the 90's
    We spent our Saturday nights watching Easy Singles in Baker Place(break your face!) and then head downstairs to the club ( can't remember what was called) to the Indie Disco.
    Loved Ma Hogans and Quinn's and there was a Club in the Glentworth called the Aero Club I think.
    The Globe, Henry Cecil, Tropics, The Works, Termights .... Halycon days!!!!
    There was so many clubs and pubs To choose from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

Holy Crap, some blasts from the past here, frequented too many of them too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

BobMc wrote: »
    Holy Crap, some blasts from the past here, frequented too many of them too :)

Amazing how many are gone. Must be tough to turn a shilling at the pub trade

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

O riadas
    Dukes - early Saturday mornings

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

I'd Love to see Quinns open again, all kinds mixing in there not a bother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

zulutango wrote: »
    McGregors

before that it was the James Joyce.

Bought my first pint in there for £1.65

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

Albie Carolls was the other end of the block from Paddy Sullivan's. It was later the Corner Bar. The pub further up past Noonans and Slattery was The Chaser. There was another further up on the corner with Wolfe Tone Street and another further up on he opposite side of the road where you could get take away alcohol. Can't remember the names.

The one on the corner of Wolfe Tone Street was Ann O'Connors.

Jmccoy1 wrote: »

The one on the corner of Wolfe Tone Street was Ann O'Connors.
    On the ball. That was it. You remember the one further up on the opposite side of the road. If memory servers me correctly it was across from the entrance to the barracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Came across this listing while searching for something else on-line. Currently a lot of pubs for sale in Limerick city

http://www.property.ie/commercial-property/limerick/limerick-city/type_restaurant-bar-hotel/sort_date-desc/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Heard the locke was interesting in taking over Katy Daly's. Would love to take over a pub, Willie Sextons would be a nice buy, and its fairly well kept too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Mc Love wrote:
    Heard the locke was interesting in taking over Katy Daly's.

Ooh that sounds interesting! Katie Dalys has so much potential I think. It would be a great spot to put seating outside in the summer. It would really work well if Nicholas Street was pedestrianised and lined with local Limerick boitiques and crafts shops, rather than the free for all car park/loading bay it is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭4Ad

moby2101 wrote: »
    Fantastic thread op.

Limerick was a thriving busy place to go out in in the 90's
    We spent our Saturday nights watching Easy Singles in Baker Place(break your face!) and then head downstairs to the club ( can't remember what was called) to the Indie Disco.
    Loved Ma Hogans and Quinn's and there was a Club in the Glentworth called the Aero Club I think.
    The Globe, Henry Cecil, Tropics, The Works, Termights .... Halycon days!!!!
    There was so many clubs and pubs To choose from.

So thats where I was in the 90's !!
    Theatre Royal was another place I visited.
    The music downstairs in Baker Place was brilliant, not to mention the mirrors around the dance floor to admire oneself... (not)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

ah ... The Theatre Royal, a.k.a. Boogie Wonderland!! How did that escape this thread for so long? I remember the madness on the dance floor there. If you fell it was really hard to get up again because of the sloped floor, and invariably the crowds just fell on top of each other. Many didn't make it out alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

bazz26 wrote: »
    Showing my age now:

Arthur's Warehouse which then became Saints and Scholars, and is currently occupied by the Office bar afaik.

AW is now Angel Lane - same building. The Office is a seperate building to that.

g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

zulutango wrote: »
    ah ... The Theatre Royal, a.k.a. Boogie Wonderland!! How did that escape this thread for so long? I remember the madness on the dance floor there. If you fell it was really hard to get up again because of the sloped floor, and invariably the crowds just fell on top of each other. Many didn't make it out alive.

Not a pub in the true spirit of pubs. Pubs that just became nightclubs I think is acceptable, night clubs, theatres etc not pubs.
    Neither are pubs that have merely changed their names suitable for this thread.

The Harp Bar, just up from Austin's.

Advertisement