Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closed/former/forgotten Limerick Pubs

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

zulutango wrote: »
    ah ... The Theatre Royal, a.k.a. Boogie Wonderland!! How did that escape this thread for so long? I remember the madness on the dance floor there. If you fell it was really hard to get up again because of the sloped floor, and invariably the crowds just fell on top of each other. Many didn't make it out alive.

Absolutely disgraceful the Royal is sitting there falling down. Should be re-opened as a venue. Not a fan of the cinema/media plan they have for it either.

Limerick could do with a bigger concert venue. Freezing my nuts off in the Milk Market is not quite the same, and the sound quality is not great at gigs there either imo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The Sallyport was a decent spot for a quiet pint! Trad nights could be good craic in there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

The Sibin under the Gallery nightclub in the George used be a great spot for trad music back in the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Donutz

tommy249 wrote:
    The Sibin under the Gallery nightclub in the George used be a great spot for trad music back in the day!

I used to go there most Friday nights to see the Limerick men. Great spot and great band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭moby2101

tommy249 wrote: »

Was a previous incarnation of this place ever called The Glory Hole?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Indeed it was.

....and as an aside I remember when Ted's was owned by.........Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Albie Carolls was the other end of the block from Paddy Sullivan's. It was later the Corner Bar. The pub further up past Noonans and Slattery was The Chaser. There was another further up on the corner with Wolfe Tone Street and another further up on he opposite side of the road where you could get take away alcohol. Can't remember the names.

Ann O'Connor's was the one on the corner, and the one across from the barracks, I think that was called Joe Murphy's.

To answer a previous poster's question regarding the Tav being a Murphy's house, it hasn't served Murphy's in about 10 years unfortunately. The owner John Moloney sold the large Murphy's sign for advertising. They still serve Harp in there though, unusually.

Anyone here remember Ma Reilly's in Parnell street? It was OK but it attracted a dodgy crowd. It was totally rebuilt in the late 90's but closed down only a few months afterwards. Also, I miss Alby Carroll's back when it was called the Ryan O'Neill, especially Leo Shine's karaoke nights :) One of the owners died while on holiday and it assumed new ownership under the name "The Corner Bar". The new owners left in all the heads from Weston and Prospect and the place went downhill, closing shortly afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Ann O'Connor's was the one on the corner, and the one across from the barracks, I think that was called Joe Murphy's.

To answer a previous poster's question regarding the Tav being a Murphy's house, it hasn't served Murphy's in about 10 years unfortunately. The owner John Moloney sold the large Murphy's sign for advertising. They still serve Harp in there though, unusually.

Anyone here remember Ma Reilly's in Parnell street? It was OK but it attracted a dodgy crowd. It was totally rebuilt in the late 90's but closed down only a few months afterwards. Also, I miss Alby Carroll's back when it was called the Ryan O'Neill, especially Leo Shine's karaoke nights :) One of the owners died while on holiday and it assumed new ownership under the name "The Corner Bar". The new owners left in all the heads from Weston and Prospect and the place went downhill, closing shortly afterwards.

That's a pity about the Murphy's, it used to be s renowned Murphy's house.

Made my debut in The Black Swan last night, I don't think I'll be making a return visit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Made my debut in The Black Swan last night, I don't think I'll be making a return visit.

Davis St or Annacotty? (I'm assuming Davis St.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

jonski wrote: »
    The Round House
    The Malibu Bar
    Jack Rea's

The Malibu Bar rings a bell. Where was it? I assume it stank of sweet rum?

Davis St or Annacotty? (I'm assuming Davis St.)

Davis Street.

The Malibu was in the corner of William Street and Little Catherine Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

The Malibu Bar rings a bell. Where was it? I assume it stank of sweet rum?

It used to be the Cecil hotel , Cecil st.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Albie Carolls was the other end of the block from Paddy Sullivan's. It was later the Corner Bar. The pub further up past Noonans and Slattery was The Chaser. There was another further up on the corner with Wolfe Tone Street and another further up on he opposite side of the road where you could get take away alcohol. Can't remember the names.

Anyone here remember Ma Reilly's in Parnell street? 
    Two pool tables out the back and you could enter a side door via the lane.

Davis Street.

The Malibu was in the corner of William Street and Little Catherine Street.

Sorry that was Flamingo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

Sorry that was Flamingo's.

And also called "High Spirits" too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

panda100 wrote: »
    I also have vague recollections of a lovely pub down beside King Johns Castle. Where the visitors centre would be now, beside the river. Was a great spot for the location. Did I imagine it or was it really there?

There was a pub in that location called The Dalcassian.

Bowlers,The Treaty Bar,Frazers,Hassets.

JJ Bowles is still open and going strong. Is that the one you meant?

I used to really enjoy Bill Bourke's (Ardnacrusha Bar) in Thomondgate. Great spot. Pity it's gone.

Thought it was called the Castle Lane Tavern, you might be right though.
    Passed Radcliffes on Athlunkard Street at the weekend, looked closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Thought it was called the Castle Lane Tavern, you might be right though.
    Passed Radcliffes on Athlunkard Street at the weekend, looked closed.

The Castle Lane was the pub build when they redeveloped that block. It was facing the river. Before redevelopment there was a pub on the corner facing Nicholas St.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

http://www.memorylanelimerick.com/p583548665/h238C6A7#h238c6a7

photo from the back of the Dalcassian bar

The Dalcassian was knocked and then the Castle Tavern was built.
    That was a brand new build but done in the style of the 17th century Dutch buildings that used to stand on Nicholas Street and other parts of town. Apparently it cost a small fortune to get some guy in to point the bricks in the style used in those days. I'm working off memory there, so it may be sketchy due to it being so many beers ago.

Fantastic the way the lads went into a field of weeds to take their photograph. I suppose the pub was a dark auld spot. I was in there a few times but don't recollect much about it. I used to love the name of the place and it's association with Brian Boru's tribe.

Would my memory be correct that there was the head of an Irish wolf hound painted at either end of the name on the sign over the door?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Great name for a pub actually. Interesting that there's so few references to the Dalcassians in the city.

The Dalcassian was knocked and then the Castle Tavern was built.
    That was a brand new build but done in the style of the 17th century Dutch buildings that used to stand on Nicholas Street and other parts of town. Apparently it cost a small fortune to get some guy in to point the bricks in the style used in those days. I'm working off memory there, so it may be sketchy due to it being so many beers ago.

Fantastic the way the lads went into a field of weeds to take their photograph. I suppose the pub was a dark auld spot. I was in there a few times but don't recollect much about it. I used to love the name of the place and it's association with Brian Boru's tribe.

Would my memory be correct that there was the head of an Irish wolf hound painted at either end of the name on the sign over the door?
    I dont remember myself - I never drank a pint there. I think Mick Crowe ran the pub at one stage ( long before he opened Barringtons on Broad St.)..Mick Crowe..the man you know..1973 election slogan !

I was searching for an image of the place - to no avail - and came across many text references to Mick Crowe being the owner.

I was searching for an image of the place - to no avail - and came across many text references to Mick Crowe being the owner.
    you need google maps 1973 !!..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sealo

I remember the Ryan o Neill and all them other pubs that general area surprised paddy Benson has not been mentioned yet. I remember leo shine would occasionally burst into a rap usually mister boombastic by shaggy in the middle of songs. The owner pat o Neill who died abroad was a very fair and good publican it had a good mix of regulars of all ages middle aged and there grown up children would often come in and play pool before heading in to town leaving there parents behind. They were also involved with the friends of the elderly from the Hyde road prospect area once saw a priest give mass in the pub for all the members before they went on an outing. Shame it went down hill and eventually closed under the new owners

• Registered Users Posts: 33 borotom

Any one remember a pub in the Laneway along side the shoe shop next to boots back in the 90's

• Advertisement
Advertisement