Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary query

Options
  • 30-03-2017 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi - I'm really hoping someone can help shed some light on this for me.

I qualified as a post-primary teacher in England in 2009. I returned to Dublin straight away to work part time in a school.

A few months ago a friend (who also qualified in the same year in England) was contacted by her ETB saying that if your HDip in England was deemed at "Masters Level" you were entitled to the Honours level Dip allowance. She recommended that I contact the Department and enquire about the same, as I have an identical qualification.

I did this and they said that it was in fact me who owed the department money. The reason being that I did my H&S exam in 2012 (like my previously mentioned friend) and that, as it was post 2012 payscale adjustment, I should have been placed on that scale instead. This despite the fact that I was registered with the TC, but with conditions.

I referred to my friend's case (identical to mine) and her being reimbursed money and was told they couldn't discuss individual cases but I would be receiving a bill for the thousands I owe the department

I just don't understand how in identical situations the outcomes are so different and what I can do.

If I am missing something I would be very grateful for any help.

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'm not sure I understand paragraphy 4 up there. What do you mean by "as it was post 2012 payscale adjustment".
    Were you working (as a teacherin Ireland) from 2009 to 2012 and then did exam?
    If you were working away, registered etc you should now be paid the pre-2012 amount. I know people who graduated from college here in 2012 but who got on the old scale due to a bit of subbing before their Dip.
    If I have you right it's legal advice you should be looking for if it's a huge bill. I know they can claw back as far back as they want but not if you're being treated differently to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ticketstub

Hi Dory - thank you for your reply.

I know it's quite complicated (as many of these dealings are!)

I taught in Ireland unqualified in 2005.
    Went to England in 2008 to get my PGCE
    I returned in 2009 and worked here ever since.

As I qualified in England, I was required to sit the History and Structure exam in order to be fully registered (as opposed to "register with conditions") which I did in 2012.
    Because of this I'm being told that I should have been dropped down the scale as soon as I passed that exam as I was only considered as a registered teacher after this point (and therefore after the new payscales came in).

I don't know who is in the right...or what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Ticketstub wrote: »
    Hi Dory - thank you for your reply.

I know it's quite complicated (as many of these dealings are!)

I taught in Ireland unqualified in 2005.
    Went to England in 2008 to get my PGCE
    I returned in 2009 and worked here ever since.

As I qualified in England, I was required to sit the History and Structure exam in order to be fully registered (as opposed to "register with conditions") which I did in 2012.
    Because of this I'm being told that I should have been dropped down the scale as soon as I passed that exam as I was only considered as a registered teacher after this point (and therefore after the new payscales came in).

I don't know who is in the right...or what to do

You need to fight this with every fiber of your being.
    If they push this through you will lose 100s of thousands over the next 35-40 years.

If you are not in a union, join one and get them to help you.

The fact you were a qualified teacher since 2009 and had one shortfall in the form of the H&S exam means you had conditional registration.
    No one told you that there was a time limit on completion of the H&S exam.

I qualified in U.K. In 2007, came home, started working and did H&S exam in November 07.
    Was paid the unqualified rate for around 6 months total and then got a lump sum backdated when Maynooth released the results and I passed the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ticketstub

Thanks for that InspectorCooper - I'm definitely going to dispute this now.
    I'm so glad I came on here. They were so adamant that I owed them money that I wasn't going to question it.
    I was a member of ASTI at the time so I think I'll return to them and see what they have to say about it.

Advertisement