Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Reference - Format

Options
  • 30-03-2017 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,

Is it still the norm to have a written reference letter from landlord/letting agency along with employer reference etc?

Would it be sufficient to provide the contact details of the landlord/LA for them to get a verbal reference?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

No formal format. Most will want to speak to the LL to do some probing.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 15YemenRoad

No formal format. Most will want to speak to the LL to do some probing.

Thanks.

We rent through an agency and have talked to them less than a handful of times over the past three years, usually just to renew the lease. I'm a bit concerned they won't give a "good" reference as they don't really know us!

I have bank statements showing the rent going out on time every month and I would include those with references. Just trying to make sure I have enough documentation for future searches.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Agency to Agency I'd say you'd be laughing as they'll all know each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LooksLikeRain

Hi,

Is it still the norm to have a written reference letter from landlord/letting agency along with employer reference etc?

Would it be sufficient to provide the contact details of the landlord/LA for them to get a verbal reference?

Thanks.
    Hi
    As landlord in the current market if prospective tenants don't have written references to hand I wouldn't even allow them to view. So for your own sake have these references on paper and scanned. Many EAs are hyping the market by mass viewing to all, many of which they know they won't rent too. I have heard of EAs starting bidding on rental properties fuelled by unsuitable tenants.
    Rainer

• Registered Users Posts: 44 15YemenRoad

Hi
    As landlord in the current market if prospective tenants don't have written references to hand I wouldn't even allow them to view. So for your own sake have these references on paper and scanned. Many EAs are hyping the market by mass viewing to all, many of which they know they won't rent too. I have heard of EAs starting bidding on rental properties fuelled by unsuitable tenants.
    Rainer

Thanks, was concerned about this.

Anecdotally some friends of mine tried to get written references from their agencies and they were told that it was company policy to only give verbal references over the phone, and the tenants should just supply the contact details.

I suppose its just a matter of pointing that out and hoping the landlord will be ok with that. Tough market!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LooksLikeRain

Thanks, was concerned about this.

Anecdotally some friends of mine tried to get written references from their agencies and they were told that it was company policy to only give verbal references over the phone, and the tenants should just supply the contact details.

I suppose its just a matter of pointing that out and hoping the landlord will be ok with that. Tough market!

Most good agencies, those that do inspections etc, should have no problem putting the basic facts on paper I.e. rent paid on time , address and tenancy dates. From experience if I have just a phone number of the agency there is a problem. This may be a tenant issue, which they never saw as a issue, such as noise complaints, or an agent issue such as they never visited property and are basically lazy so couldn't be bothered doing anything.
    Written references get you to the top of queue and can paint a picture and impress the landlord, while the rest just provide numbers. It's only made complicated by EAs who have wider agendas.

Advertisement