Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving licence

• 30-03-2017 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

If I moved over to Oz with a provisional licence, would I be able to do my test for my full licence over there? Or do you need to be an Australian citizen?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

If I moved over to Oz with a provisional licence, would I be able to do my test for my full licence over there? Or do you need to be an Australian citizen?

Thanks!

The provisional licence would not be recognised in Australia so you would need to start from scratch. It's nothing to do with not being a citizen. It's just a different system.

Here is the process for getting a licence in Australia:

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/learning-to-drive-overview.asp

Your best bet would be to do your driving test before you leave Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I agree with Aido, its a long process in Aus, try get it before you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

I was on my provisional just before i left. I failed my first test and was bricking it because it was a 6 month wait for another. I was leaving in two. So i just rang up the centre and asked do they have any cancellations. They had numerous i could choose from. Get it before you leave.

Unless the system has changed now. This was 6 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Parapara2017

Alright, so I may have slipped under the radar here 😎

Got a provisional licence in Ireland when I was 17 in 2013 or something.

Never did any lessons etc. Went to Aus in 2015 with my irish learner permit. Went in to transfer it over and - despite it saying all over not valid outside country of issue - they essentially handed me an aussie learner permit.

So theres the 100 hour rule for supervised driving before taking your test AND hold it for one year. I asked at the time about exemptions was told no but evidently there is.

Problem with the exemption to the hours is you need to hold the learner permit for at least 2 years instead of the hours.

But because i transferred an irish learner permit originally issued in 2013, i was all set to take my test. Passed my test, got issued a shiny full Australian licence.

There was a brief moment my heart skipped a beat... Sitting in the centre after passing the system wasn't letting them put in my details... They discussed amongst themselves... Heard some worrying whispers then she said she had to make a phone call. Caught a snippet that was.like "ok so has to have held the permit for 2 years (or whatever it was) but... Hes already just passed the test ****...." Then they called me to the counter looking worried.

They mentioned the exemption conditions but I pulled out my irish permit with the date and then they understood and all sorted!

Result is I now have a full Irish licence that also has the BE category as you can tow trailers on the default car licence in Aus.

Interestingly, when I was in Vic they wouldn't even transfer my QLD permit to a VIC one - let alone the irish one they wouldn't give the time of day to!

Edit quick breakdown for time frame in aus: transferred learner permit = almost instant got an aussie one in the post but receipt you can drive on instantly.

Was trying to slog through hours discovered exemption form by chance about 3/4 months after getting the permit.

Took under a month to confirm exemption, booked test for 5 weeks later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

+1 try to do it at home much easier

• Advertisement
Advertisement