Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm always first to leave the office. Feel like I'm skiving.

Options
  • 30-03-2017 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

My hours are 9-5 and I'm usually gone by 5 ish. I might work till 5.30 sometimes and once in a blue moon I'd stay till 6 or 7 if a deadline HAS to be met. But 99% of the time I'm out the door between 5 and 5.15pm.

My manager and office mates always stay till much later. I've heard of them leaving at 6pm, 7pm or 8pm. It's getting a bit awkward saying "bye now" at the end of the day, I feel like I'm taking the piss and should be staying on.

Anybody else in a work environment like this? Do you give in and stay an extra hour for the sake of it?

No I don't work in finance.

edit: forgot to add that none of us get paid for overtime.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭davehey79

Similar set up in my own office and exact same if I need to I will stay on to finish something or if asked politely. Don't get paid over time and 9-5 also and if I walk out at 5 and others stay on that's their call. I have a life outside the office walls. Wouldn't pass any more thought on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

Well I work in an office...work 8-4.

Usually at my desk at 7.45. Only really take 30 mins for lunch.

Shut down the pc 3.50...and leg it at 3.55...... So long suckers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I wouldn't pay any attention to it. If you work your hours and get your stuff done there is no reason to stay put for appearance sake.
    If others feel the need to do so or can't get their stuff done in time that's their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

My hours are 9-5 and I'm usually gone by 5 ish. I might work till 5.30 sometimes and once in a blue moon I'd stay till 6 or 7 if a deadline HAS to be met. But 99% of the time I'm out the door between 5 and 5.15pm.

My manager and office mates always stay till much later. I've heard of them leaving at 6pm, 7pm or 8pm. It's getting a bit awkward saying "bye now" at the end of the day, I feel like I'm taking the piss and should be staying on.

Anybody else in a work environment like this? Do you give in and stay an extra hour for the sake of it?

No I don't work in finance.
    Do you get paid OT if you work past 5 ? Does everyone in office perform same job and could they have heavier work loads.
    If you have your work done and you are not falling behind and you don't get paid OT then I wouldn't worry about it..you have shown you are willing to stay back if a deadline is approaching or the work load is bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Radiant Cool Crazy Nightmare

You are doing it right, they are doing it wrong. Work to live not the other way around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

harr wrote: »
    Do you get paid OT if you work past 5 ? Does everyone in office perform same job and could they have heavier work loads.

Forgot to add in my original post - none of us get paid OT.

We perform different functions and one of the people in the office is our manager.

But even if we have different workloads - and it does vary for all of us now and then as I said I'd stay late if I really need to get something done - surely they would have some chance of leaving at 5pm here and there. I'm literally always the first person out the door. I feel like I'm breaking an unofficial policy.

Anyway, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing as others have suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Forgot to add in my original post - none of us get paid OT.

We perform different functions and one of the people in the office is our manager.

But even if we have different workloads - and it does vary for all of us now and then as I said I'd stay late if I really need to get something done - surely they would have some chance of leaving at 5pm here and there. I'm literally always the first person out the door. I feel like I'm breaking an unofficial policy.

Anyway, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing as others have suggested.
    Don't worry about it so...the others will get very little thanks for it...if anything it shows they can't get work done in regular days hours and you can...no chance I would be working an extra 6-7 hours a week for nothing...that's working a full extra day without pay...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Keep doing as you are doing OP. Don't worry about anyone else because they certainly aren't worrying about you! The boss knows you are good for some overtime when required. He or she will respect you if you stick to your work hours and only offer help now and then. A lot of people who only stay late for show are misguided and naïve, thinking longer hours = more respect = a promotion to a job that they end up hating anyway.

The old adage is right. Work to live not the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

How do you know they are not always out the door 5 minutes after you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

They're making up for spending an extra hour during thew day on Boards.

Leaving on time is normal enough as long as you aren't viewed as a clock-watcher or deemed as someone on a computer who gets up mid-sentence in Word.

Bear in mind though that if you go for a promotion, you'll just be at a disadvantage against someone who is perceived to work extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Some of the best managers I've ever worked with had the attitude that if you can't get the work done in the allotted hours you can't do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Some of the best managers I've ever worked with had the attitude that if you can't get the work done in the allotted hours you can't do the job.

That completely depends on the work. We deal with clients and volume of queries in any given day can be massive. Fridays, for example, we generally stay till 6 or 6.30. Short lunches. But then if you need flexibility to leave an hour early here and there, you can.

I regard it as part and parcel of being salaried and people who stick to their exact hours with zero flexibility annoy me a little. They're not in the wrong, but it comes across as a little unreasonable once the employer is willing to recognise the extra time worked somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

sdanseo wrote: »
    That completely depends on the work. We deal with clients and volume of queries in any given day can be massive. Fridays, for example, we generally stay till 6 or 6.30. Short lunches. But then if you need flexibility to leave an hour early here and there, you can.

I regard it as part and parcel of being salaried and people who stick to their exact hours with zero flexibility annoy me a little. They're not in the wrong, but it comes across as a little unreasonable once the employer is willing to recognise the extra time worked somehow.

That's entirely reasonable in the given situation. However there seems to be this ridiculous US working practice of being seen to be there for the sake of it. If the OP has all his work done, or the company is running with too few staff then they should keep doing what they're doing. To be fair he suggested that when he needs to stay he stays. When a deadline is looming I'd rather have well rested staff in than someone who's leaving at 2am instead of 10pm today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

What if you were told in interview that the hours are 9 to 5... then you gotta pick up the kids before creche closes at 6?

OP I reckon those other numpties are waiting for you to get lost before they can break out the coke and hookers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I believe in the work to live thing. It's okay to leave at that time.

Just don't be expecting an excessive bonus when you don't put in excessive hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    What if you were told in interview that the hours are 9 to 5... then you gotta pick up the kids before creche closes at 6?

OP I reckon those other numpties are waiting for you to get lost before they can break out the coke and hookers.

Well then you might come in a little earlier and finish a little earlier on a day where you'd know it would be a bit busier. Or maybe do a weekend morning to finish work that doesn't involve clients (in most places you'd get the time back as leave if you did that).

My gripe wouldn't be with anyone doing their hours and going home per se, it would be with an unwillingness to show any flexibility in general. Naturally that has to work both ways.

To answer the OP's question - once you're willing to muck in somehow when the going gets tough, I wouldn't feel in any way guilty about leaving on time. Just don't be that guy who refuses to do anything extra, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

To answer the OP's question - once you're willing to muck in somehow when the going gets tough, I wouldn't feel in any way guilty about leaving on time. Just don't be that guy who refuses to do anything extra, ever.

I'm not that guy.

As I said I'll stay late if I have to and I have done in the past. When I do stay late it doesn't feel like I'm putting in extra effort because everybody else stays late anyway. After 2 hours "overtime" I leave with the rest of them at the normal time of 7pm. I'd have to stay until 9 or 10pm to be seen as "mucking in" as you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Like all situations of this type, there is for and against. If you are not getting any benefit from staying late, overtime, time in lieu, improved chance of promotion/salary increase, then you are right to leave at the end of your day.

On the other hand, if advancement in the job is a goal of yours, the other guys are now ahead of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

If you're getting your allotted work done, it's no problem.
    Many places have the above mentality.
    It can stem from the management and work down. Some of the IT / web firms are notorious for it.
    If you've kids, you're very unlikely to be able to stay any longer so don't get into the habit.
    As has been said, those staying longer aren't necessarily being any more productive than you.
    If it's in any way suggested they are, I'd seriously reconsider working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Like others have said, it depends on your goals, if you're a life orientated person, enjoy your down time, but if you 're a career orientated person, your fellow work mates are ahead. I personally think you're doing the right thing op. Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

The OPs boss wont pay o/t and you're suggesting flexibility.
    Its a two way street.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

As someone who used to get paid for overtime and now doesn't I won't be working free of charge for anyone anymore.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2 winesday

I am always the first to leave in my place too. 5 O'clock and I'm practically running out the door. People here would usually stay an extra 30 mins, They don;t get paid or there is no time in lieu. It was said to me before by a co-worker about me always leaving on time. Told her to work more efficiently and maybe she would get out on time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

When I started work in a company - many years ago - 6 o clock came and I got up to go. A couple of the other pa's looked at me like I was mad - 'he hasn't said you can leave yet'!! Knocked that on the head straight away!

I have stayed late in the office to finish stuff - I hate coming in to a pile of tapes etc - but certainly wouldn't do it on a regular basis. If I have my work done off I go!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I can definitely understand how leaving before everyone else makes it feel like you're skiving. But ultimately the measure comes down to whether you're getting your work done. If you are, great, then you have nothing to worry about.

Don't be fooled into believing that management are measuring performance based on the hours someone spends in the building. They are most definitely measuring it based on what you're getting done and your willingness to help out when actually needed.

If your colleagues are staying till 7pm and still only getting through the same amount of work as you, then management will notice this and it looks good for you and bad for them.

Nowhere on your CV will it ever say, "worked 50 hours weeks when I only got paid for 40" and your manager will never say "he stayed late every night" when giving a reference. Consistently staying late to impress management is literally a waste of time. You won't get rewarded for it at any stage.

The only time this is an issue is if it's mentioned to you in a performance review. That's when you ask for more money if they want you to do longer working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

micar wrote: »
    Well I work in an office...work 8-4.

Usually at my desk at 7.45. Only really take 30 mins for lunch.

Shut down the pc 3.50...and leg it at 3.55...... So long suckers

Starting at 8 and 30 mins for lunch? I'd leave on day 1 ;)

Start at 10 and 1 hour lunch in the sunshine (where applicable) ... can't live without it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I worked in a private sector office job where the contracted hours were 8-5 with an hour for lunch. No overtime. It was in a manufacturing environment so there were shift workers in the warehouse and plant.

I was always gone at 5 while my manager and some colleagues stayed on.
    A few months on, I was reassigned to a new role within the same department which was more logistics driven. My manager told me "And you won't be able to leave at 5 any more", in a sneering tone.

Day one in the new role, I was getting up to speed with the routine and stayed back until about 6.

Day two, I devised a system which worked for me and had all my paperwork down in the warehouse for 4.30. Everything was done, so all I had to do then was mark time until five and scoot out the door. From then I was always gone at 5.

The manager used to glare at me but there was nothing she could do, I'd done my tasks for the day. She was often there until 8, she called me once from the office at that time because a driver had turned up a day early and the paperwork wasn't there, so she needed to know if there was another order ready that he could take.

I don't know what she was doing all that time. She shared the office with us and often spent 1-2 hours talking on the company phone to her children in Spain / Israel.

It's great working and having a job, but it's even better to have a life outside.

I'm a civil servant now and have flexitime. I can and do occasionally work 8-6 or even 8-7 when there is pressure, but I get those hours back to use at a quieter time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

mrcheez wrote: »
    Starting at 8 and 30 mins for lunch? I'd leave on day 1 ;)

Start at 10 and 1 hour lunch in the sunshine (where applicable) ... can't live without it

What's wrong with starting at 8. Absolutely nothing. It's actually better as your up earlier and get more out of your day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

What's wrong with starting at 8. Absolutely nothing. It's actually better as your up earlier and get more out of your day.

it's actually safer cycling to work for 10 and leaving later. I'm not a morning person so 8 would kill me, if the commute didn't ! ;)

EDIT: saying that though, 30 mins for lunch is a bit criminal isn't it? A one hour break would increase productivity no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

mrcheez wrote: »
    it's actually safer cycling to work for 10 and leaving later. I'm not a morning person so 8 would kill me, if the commute didn't ! ;)

EDIT: saying that though, 30 mins for lunch is a bit criminal isn't it? A one hour break would increase productivity no?

Haha good answer.

I suppose it depends on the person, and the type of day your having.

Some just need a bit of food and a chat so half hour is sufficient. But others need to full hour to go for a walk, clear the head, eat and talk longer with colleagues.

Advertisement