Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince Charles and Camilla visiting Kilkenny in May

Options
  • 30-03-2017 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭

Prince Charles and Camilla are coming to Kilkenny in May.
    The last royal visit to Kilkenny was back in 1904 when King Edward and Queen Alexandria stayed at Kilkenny castle.

This is great news for the city, things like this help to boost tourism. We are lucky to have such a beautiful city.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I'm not sure this will be received enthusiastically with the Brits recreating a hard border in Ireland.
    In truth we don't "need" the visit although there are probably some closet brits who're licking their lips at the thought of sniffing some royal butt.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

AN GARDA PRESS RELEASE The Visit of His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales and Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cornwall
    Press Release - The Visit of His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales and Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cornwall
    His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales and Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cornwall have accepted an invitation to visit Kilkenny City and Thomastown. The Royal visit will take place on Thursday 11th of May 2017. It will commence in Kilkenny at 10.30am, where a number of engagements will be undertaken. The Royal Party will leave Kilkenny shortly after 1pm and travel to Thomastown for a short visit before departing at 2.20pm.

General Information & Advice
    Kilkenny City will be open for business as usual. All people are welcome to visit Kilkenny and will be facilitated to view the visit of Their Royal Highnesses.
    ● People coming to view the visit are asked to arrive in good time, and not to carry large luggage / bags as these items will not be permitted in certain viewing areas.
    ● Persons with specific requests (health / mobility issues etc) will be facilitated. Please contact Kilkenny Garda Station at 056-7775023
    ● People going about their daily business will be facilitated but some minor delays may be experienced and in this regard people are advised to allow extra time for their journeys.
    ● Local Residents and Business People have been informed and advised
    ● Kilkenny City and Thomastown will be "no fly zones". This will extend to drones.

Road Closures in Kilkenny City
    A number of road closures will come into effect from 5am on Thursday 11th. No vehicular traffic will be permitted in these areas. The following restrictions are outlined hereunder:

- Castle Road from Castle Gardens to the Parade. No access will be permitted to the area and local diversions will be in place via Nuncio Road or Woodbine Avenue.
    - Access to Woodlawn, Archers Avenue and Castle Gardens will be permitted to residents only. Father Hayden Road will be closed from the junction with Fiacre's Place. Access will be to residents only.
    - Patrick Street will be closed from the junction of Ormond Road.
    - Ormonde Street will be closed from Ormonde Street Multi storey carpark to Patrick Street. Access to the car park will be via Lower New Street only.
    - High Street will be closed from the Parliament Street junction and traffic will be diverted via Bateman Quay.
    - Rose Inn Street will be closed and traffic will be diverted via Bateman Quay.
    - James Street will be closed from the junction with Parnell Street.

Closures will be in place until approximately 1.30pm on 11th May and any delays will be kept to the absolute minimum.

From 10.30am on Wednesday 10th May, Canal Walk will be closed to traffic and pedestrians from Johns Bridge to the car park and from the carpark to the junction with the Bennetsbridge Road. No access will be permitted to the public.

No parking will be permitted in the areas which are subject to road closures.

Market Cross car park, Ormonde Multi-storey car park and the Market Yard are all open for parking. Market Cross car park will only be accessible from Parliament Street.

All streets will have pedestrian access with the exception of Castle Road. Pedestrian access to City Centre will be via Fr Hayden Rd & Patrick Street.
    Pedestrian Access to the Parade will be via Rose Inn Street and Patrick Street. Barriers will be in place along the Parade and High Street with appointed crossing areas.
    Security measures will be in place.

Thomastown
    ●There will be road closures during the times Their Royal Highnesses are visiting Thomastown, with some short delays likely.
    ● There will be no through route in Thomastown from 1pm until 2.30pm approximately.
    Alternative routes will be available with road diversions. Motorists travelling Northbound towards Thomastown on the R448 will be diverted onto the L4206 at Jerpoint. Here they can access the M9 motorway at Knocktopher. Thomastown will be accessible via Stonyford. There will be no access from Market St onto the R448
    Minimal disruption is expected in Thomastown. Security measures will be in place.

- Castle Avenue will be closed to all motorists except residents from 5am.
    - People are welcome to Thomastown and any persons who wish to view the visit of Their Royal Highnesses in Thomastown will be facilitated at viewing points at Mill Street.

Kilkenny Castle & Castle Grounds
    We have been requested to advise the public of the following closures at Kilkenny Castle.
    Closed All Day Wednesday
    Closed Thursday until 2.00pm.

All persons visiting Kilkenny & Thomastown on Thursday are asked to co operate fully with the road traffic and pedestrian plans in place.

An Garda Síochána
    Cill Channigh

Teileafón/Tel: (056) 4440650

An Garda Siochana
    KilkennyLáithreán Gréasain/Web Site: www.garda.ie
    Date: 08/05/17

http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/RSSLatestNewsAndAnnouncements/AN-GARDA-PRESS-RELEASE-The-Visit-of-His-Royal-Highness-The-Prince-of-Wales-and-Her-Royal-Highness-the-Duchess-of-Cornwall.52097.shortcut.html

Information if you have business or other in Kilkenny tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

will they visit King Henry? (sorry, I couldn't resist :))

Arriving by helicopter?

Sounds like plenty of opportunity for spelling out messages with bails of hay!

catbear wrote: »
    Arriving by helicopter?

WELCOME TO KILKENNY.

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    WELCOME TO KILKENNY.
    Recognise the Genocide, Black 47!

Recognise the Genocide, Black 47!

Apart from agriculture, Kilkenny depends on tourism and like any tourist they should be welcome, only difference is they are famous and need extra security.

I don't think we can hold Prince Charles accountable for the famine. Tony Blair as prime minister did apologise for Britain's role in the famine.
    It should be remembered that King Edward and Queen Alexandra were very welcome when they came and stayed in Kilkenny in 1904.

Blair's recognition was private and not backed by parliament, the same uninterrupted parliament that governed the policies of privation in which an gorta mor was the final denouement.

That parliament rule on behalf of the throne.

I'm actually disgusted theres people like you who think the systematic halving of our population isn't worth recognition.

Hey, the head of state of our immediate neighbour is welcome but so is recognition of this family's rule here.

Or course you probably think farage is a top bloke too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

It's been a while since our royals have been in this part of the Kingdom.

Really looking forward to it I have to say.

There's going to be a lot of brown noses tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

The gunpowder pissers are getting a visit from their beloved. How quaint. I bet cap sales are soaring just to practice tipping them.

Blair's recognition was private and not backed by parliament, the same uninterrupted parliament that governed the policies of privation in which an gorta mor was the final denouement.

That parliament rule on behalf of the throne.

I'm actually disgusted theres people like you who think the systematic halving of our population isn't worth recognition.

Hey, the head of state of our immediate neighbour is welcome but so is recognition of this family's rule here.

Or course you probably think farage is a top bloke too.

You could not be more wrong.

You are disgusted as you want to be offended as you do not know my views on the famine.
    A post from earlier today:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103466663&postcount=8638

Blair was the first UK prime minister to offer any sort of apology.

I believe the government at the time, in particular the Whig government are responsible for the worst of the famine, not Queen Victoria as she did not have power over policy.
    Do people blame the current Queen for invading Iraq, or do they blame the Blair government for going to war?

Why would I support Nigel Farage when I am very pro-EU and I would not oppose a federalist EU. Brexit was an awful plan for the future of the UK.

Blair was the first UK prime minister to offer any sort of apology.
    So you willfully misrepresented my post. Blair's recognition was personal and not as his capacity as PM, he had no sanction from Westminster to do so.

So in your exciting for the smell of royal butt you're twisting the narrative.

Westminster administers the realm on the royals behalf. That's the deal.

Now as for visiter numbers the UK has seen a drop of 6% since Brexit but the USA is up 23% in the last year and visiter numbers from the EU are also well up so obviously wasting resources on trip is pretty pointless when all UK outbounds are down on a weaker sterling.

You obviously get a thrill out of being subservient but that's not everyone else's cuppa. Some of us take the sacrifices of our previous generations seriously and will not be **** on the genocide like you do.

To quote our own Seamus Heaney said, My passport is green and I do not toast the queen.

So you willfully misrepresented my post. Blair's recognition was personal and not as his capacity as PM, he had no sanction from Westminster to do so.

Now as for visiter numbers the UK has seen a drop of 6% since Brexit but the USA is up 23% in the last year and visiter numbers from the EU are also well up so obviously wasting resources on trip is pretty pointless when all UK outbounds are down on a weaker sterling.

You obviously get a thrill out of being subservient but that's not everyone else's cuppa. Some of us take the sacrifices of our previous generations seriously and will not be **** on the genocide like you do.

To quote our own Seamus Heaney said, My passport is green and I do not toast the queen.

I don't go around with the resentment you carry towards people that one has never met.

I am subservient to no one. You obviously think building friendship between the two countries of Ireland and the UK is a bad thing.

Seamus Heaney sat at the same table as the Queen in Dublin castle when she visited.

Catbear, did you see the celebrations in Kilkenny in 1904 when King Edward and Queen Alexandra came and stayed in Kilkenny.
    People filled the streets to welcome them.

I don't think anyone will be **** over it, but the power in the UK is with parliament, not Buckingham Palace.
    There is a program tonight on BBC2 titled 'King Charles III', it is where Charles as King causes a constitutional crisis by refusing to sign a bill into law.
    The monarch is required to sign into law what the parliament decides. They don't make the law or decide the law.

I don't think anyone will be **** over it, but the power in the UK is with parliament, not Buckingham Palace.
    It doesn't matter, they're the head of state. What you think doesn't change that so enough with your surfdom fantasies. Get your bow in tomorrow if you must but spare us your awe.

It doesn't matter, they're the head of state. What you think doesn't change that so enough with your surfdom fantasies. Get your bow in tomorrow if you must but spare us your awe.

You are funny, no one has to bow tomorrow.

I don't see why at this point in history, one has to live in the past as if nothing has changed.
    We in Kilkenny have not been under British rule for near 100 years at this stage.
    It is like an inferiority complex that one has to stay living in the past as if we can't make our own history, and the wrongs of the past is what must dictate our futures.

We won't forget our history, but I certainly don't want to live as if we must live in the past.

You are funny, no one has to bow tomorrow.

I don't see why at this point in history, one has to live in the past as if nothing has changed.
    We in Kilkenny have not been under British rule for near 100 years at this stage.
    It is like an inferiority complex that one has to stay living in the past as if we can't make our own history, and the wrongs of the past is what must dictate our futures.

We won't forget our history, but I certainly don't want to live as if we must live in the past.
    Himself and herself are welcome as private tourists but the road to normalising relationships took a major blow below the hull line with Brexit.

Let's look again at this in two years time when we know what the final border situation is like.

Until then spare us the notion that we should waste our resources on this lineage that halved our population and still haven't acknowledged that.

Now get back to whatever mouthing exercising you have to do before you start sucking tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

The Visit of His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales and Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cornwall
    Press Release - The Visit of His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales and Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cornwall
    His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales and Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cornwall have accepted an invitation to visit Kilkenny City and Thomastown. The Royal visit will take place on Thursday 11th of May 2017. It will commence in Kilkenny at 10.30am, where a number of engagements will be undertaken. The Royal Party will leave Kilkenny shortly after 1pm and travel to Thomastown for a short visit before departing at 2.20pm.

General Information & Advice
    Kilkenny City will be open for business as usual. All people are welcome to visit Kilkenny and will be facilitated to view the visit of Their Royal Highnesses.

Highness was used too many times there no higher than any man or woman in this country once they step foot in it

Himself and herself are welcome as private tourists but the road to normalising relationships took a major blow below the hull line with Brexit.

Let's look again at this in two years time when we know what the final border situation is like.

Until then spare us the notion that we should waste our resources on this lineage that halved our population and still haven't acknowledged that.

Now get back to whatever mouthing exercising you have to do before you start sucking tomorrow.

What mouthing exercises?

What exactly will I be sucking tomorrow?

• Advertisement

What mouthing exercises?

What exactly will I be sucking tomorrow?
    The last of your dignity.

I will be doing my shopping tomorrow, and visiting a relation.
    How will I lose my dignity doing that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Week off, attack the post, not the poster.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,085 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Prince Charles is a good guy. Very much a man of the people. Doesn't need to come here, he was invited and was polite enough to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

It would appear they are visiting grennan mill in thomastown, is there some significance here or is it just a visit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DickoHara

will they visit King Henry? (sorry, I couldn't resist :))
    Did he not meet his parents in Croke park when they were there a couple of years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DickoHara

Arriving by helicopter?

Your spelling is wrong it should be bales.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Prince Charles is a true gentleman I like the Man.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

So how did it go today? Seemed to have went fairly well from the reports and photos, Charles seemed like a good sport, and most of the boxes got ticked.

No one embarrassed themselves fawning I hope?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of the Royal Family, Its a backwards idea that doesn't have a place in the modern age.
    But this type of thing is great advertising for Kilkenny so it can't do any harm,

I personally wouldn't stand out to see him but if people do then fair enough,

Sadly the UK media is in overdrive about the election and they are busy attacking Corbyn so the visit isn't getting as much media space as it would have otherwise today.

BBC has two stories though

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-39877326

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-northern-ireland-39885345/prince-charles-takes-stick-in-kilkenny

Advertisement