Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stopping the play in rear caplier

Options
  • 30-03-2017 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

The rear caliper on my bike moves when I brake resulting in the pad rubbing off the wheel. I dont seem to be able to tighten it suffient to stop it.
    Its a cannondale slice carbon and has a funny set up.
    Could I use a super glue to fix it firmly / semi permanently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

PUT THE SUPER GLUE ON THE GROUND AND MOVE AWAY FROM IT.

Sorry for shouting, but I don't think that's a good idea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

gerfmurphy wrote: »
    The rear caliper on my bike moves when I brake
    at the risk of sounding facetious, it's meant to.

do you mean it ends up unbalanced? have you checked the wheel itself is centred?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

On some bikes there is a little screw on either side of the brake caliper. This allows you to adjust how much the caliper moves to the left or right.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

The wheel is centred.
    Both race wheel and training wheel is the same issue.
    The brakes does become off centre and stays off centre then the pads then rubs on the wheel as it moves.
    I had it in the the lbs and they havent got a solution just on the off chance someone here might I posted. The adjustment is as good as they can get but it still moves.

The Glue idea was a shot in the dark that maybe someone had done it and it was successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

gerfmurphy wrote: »
    The wheel is centred.
    Both race wheel and training wheel is the same issue.
    The brakes does become off centre and stays off centre then the pads then rubs on the wheel as it moves.
    I had it in the the lbs and they havent got a solution just on the off chance someone here might I posted. The adjustment is as good as they can get but it still moves.

The Glue idea was a shot in the dark that maybe someone had done it and it was successful.

I have had the same issue with a bike. One brake pad was rubbing against the wheel and wouldn't release back enough after pressing the break lever.

When I looked at it I saw those little screws and adjusted them and it made a difference. Do check to see if a mudguard underneath is stopping the brake caliper from releasing back or anything else that might be in the way.

You may need to just replace it if that doesn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Is it the entire calliper rotating about it's fixing point? If so, some screw adjustment should fix it and I'm surprised the LBS werent able to fix it.

Due to no fixing points on my commuter for mud guards, I use race blades which conveniently funnel ****e off the road directly into the calliper. If I leave it too long without a clean it can lock up a little, leaving slack in the cable/lever after pulling the brake. If it gets this bad I dismantle the whole thing and give it a good clean. But this seems unlikely if LBS were unable to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

It sounds like your brakes aren't quite centred (assuming the wheels are). You can either use the adjustment screw or simply twist the whole brake assembly to re-centre it. Sometimes the brakes are so off line that there isn't enough adjustment on the screw.

This video may help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg36uCGg5Lk

(you may have to cut and paste the link as I'm a bit crap at the interweb)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

As the OP has already been to his LBS, I'd assume they would have tried the obvious first.

I had the same problem with the front brake on my fixie. Tried several things including taking the whole thing apart to clean and relube to no avail. Ended up replacing the caliper. (In saying that I didn't take it to my LBS).

Advertisement