Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead | Season 7 | Episode 16 | The First Day... [AMC] [SPOILERS]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The show has kinda turned into the ****e that was served up on the holodeck on the enterprise.

Disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I stuck with it for Season 7 still, stupidly, thinking at least the end is going to be good, but no, this has pushed me over. This is it. I'm done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I thoroughly enjoyed the episode.

Thought we could see more of you lion, otherwise a win from despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Given the steady decline of the season so far, I went into this with low expectations and I was glad I did.

Clearly it was more enjoyable than most of this season's episodes as we got a showdown, a major character death and then things were wrapped up nice and tidily. But I've never seen a show where momentum and suspense are killed in such a big way.

Why show us that Sasha has taken the pill? Why have those stupid flashback/dream sequences? Just get on with it and stop killing the suspense, it's what makes a show entertaining and enjoyable to watch. The producers are not blind or deaf, they have to have noticed the flak that WD has been getting this year. And they have to do something about it. Get some new creative blood in there, people who are willing to take a chance and be bold.

I think Negan has been getting less and less irritating which is not the same as saying he's more likeable. He has some good lines and funny moments...even when walker Sasha is attacking him he's still calling her honey :pac: And it was also good to see him, Simon and Dwight in the same scene.

Shiva was a step too far in the comics and even more so in the show. It just looks ridiculous.

To sum up where the show has gone wrong, look at this episode and then compare it to 'Too Far Gone' from season 4. The tension when the Governor showed up outside the jail with Hershel and Michonne as his prisoners was unreal. I was blown away by the events of that episode, there was real horror and suspense to it and it had a huge emotional pay-off. But this was all so predictable, all so devoid of genuine tension.

I have so many mixed feelings about this show now. I feel like it has been damaged beyond repair but then I look at the pieces that are now in play and I really feel we could get a great season 8. But I said that about this season!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I gave it a watch too as it was the last one.

Utter drivel of the highest order. Apart from the script/screenplay being terrible minute to minute, it's technically so poor too. The fight choreography is atrocious, as a previous poster said, it's pure kids playing cowboys & indians. Many times it had the feel of a student film. Case in point, the fight between Michonne and the female soldier on the roof. There were going for some kind of Rocky vibe where she's beaten to a pulp and has no hope, but then miraculously rallies and beats her opponent! Where was the tension in that scene? Did anyone give a fraction of a **** that she was getting demolished?

Then the Kingdom running in just before Negan takes Karl's head off! I think they were going for a sort of Gandalf riding to the rescue at Helm's Deep situation there! Funnily enough, I wasnt on the edge of my seat though
    Then predictably, everyone bogs off and the whole thing is wrapped up in double quick time, just so we can get a handle on the fact this shíte is just going to be doing the same story arc again next season. Maybe they should have cut out all that ludicrious flashback bullshít that wasted a good 10 minutes and used that time to try to do a decent end to the episode with something approaching a satisfying climax.

How far the mighty have fallen. Frank Darabont must be having a great laugh at the shítshow this has become. From an unmissable gritty zombie apocalypse tv series, to a piss poor soap opera that the Syfy channel would have a hard time broadcasting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Good finale overall, lagged a couple of moments but hit the spot more often then not. The Rick finally coming full circle bit with him and Negan face to face was excellent, from both men.

Negan has filled out as the season went on and hopefully next season will look the imposing figure he apparently should look, nice insight into his cunning intelligence tonight with how he had Rick set up. Amazed Eugene made it through the episode, was hoping to see both his and Carls brains smashed.

Dwight is a conundrum, the statuette at the end was from him I take it? "Didn't know"

One thing next season should be is more linear and focused, which can only be a good thing in a weekly format. I honestly can't remember plenty from the episodes this season at the minute but am certain I'm not missing anything important. Despite phrases such as dwindling numbers that some like to use here the show is still hugely popular and draws a huge audience, they can turn it around next season and stop the rot. Or they can learn nothing from this season, which has surely been the worst of the lot.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    There's no tension.

Daryl with the knife to Dwights eye. He was never going to do it. Michone on the balcony. If it was her falling theyd have given her a better send off.. karrrrrl was never going to get bashed..
    Haven't lost a major character since the first episode of this series. Heath doesn't count.

They need to start popping folks off, like gregory comes back and shanks Maggie.

Does Sasha?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Does Sasha?

I meant from 1 to this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Season 7 started with Rick telling Neegan hes going to kill him...oh sh1t theres going to be an all out war, this season is going to be awesome...16 fcuking episodes later Rick is telling Neegan hes going to kill him...oh sh1t theres going to be an all out war season 8 is going to be awesome...lol what a joke...pile of garbage, I'm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Well I nearly fell asleep during this episode. It was just so boring, it's one of the worst episodes ever, and certainly the worst season finale. An extra long episode to wrap up the season, could have been done in 5 minutes.

Time to find something else to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

Thought tonight's finale was a real anti-climax - just a total let-down. No major resolutions or revelations were dealt with, there was absolutely no pay off at all for the audience. No real talking point either. Other than to bitch about how slow paced and frustrating it ultimately was.

Don't get me wrong (if you say hello and I take a ride) I don't want fan service - but as a season finale it was bad. Felt like the whole point of this episode was to peak your interest for next season - which is just the way TV works nowadays, I guess - but we kinda needed something big and it just never came. Yeah, very disappointing.

I think the whole Negan giving the finger as his truck drove away was directed as much at the fans as it was Rick's group. Okay, maybe a little melodramatic that leap... but it was a disappointing end that has made me even more cynical about the way TV shows tease things out now.

And don't get me started on a discriminating tiger. I know this show requires a certain level of suspending disbelief, but really. A tiger can tell the difference between one guy firing a gun and another?

Overall 4/10 - felt like a mid season finale rather than a finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

So after an entire season nothing much has really changed at all. We're just back to Rick's group v Saviours for probably the whole of next season as well.

Seems like after all the criticism they got after last year's seasons cliffhanger they decided to have no cliffhanger at all this season but it just ended up feeling a bit flat instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sabhail

How are they going to get the tiger back on a chain? Maybe Ezekiel was in a circus not a zoo..

Liked the episode a lot tho. Had avoided spoilers so didn't expect the rubbish peoples twist...

Also did not expect the Alexandrians to find themselves looking totally outclassed and defeated so quickly. Thought scenes with rick and negan and Carl were good.... Was genuinely thinking Carl was going to be killed.

Eugene saying 'I'm ...' to his friends, of all the smaller betrayals over the last while that seemed really shocking, was surprised he was brave enough to do it tbh.

Always liked Sasha, thought she was good character, v strong personality surrounded by men who r not v strong who and insist on seeing happy ever after s in the future, I'm looking at Bob here esp, Herschel, tyreese, Glenn etc. Then she ends with Abe who also turns out to be the epitome of that attitude ...

Hope season 8 is much better paced tho, 1st episode and last few were by far the best this season. Funny in some ways tho that it was them showing the effects of Glenn and Abe s killings on everyone that really slowed things down, but if they hadn't done that, then maybe ur missing some of the motivation for lots of original grps actions.

Anyway I hope season 8 starts with one episode doing saviours, back story, negan and simon anyway. And I hope walkers got the tiger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I just read that the opening of this season was criticized for being too violent and as a result the violence was toned down in the rest of the season because of this.

what a bunch of ****ing wimps the producers were to tone down the show , the violence is part of what the show is it needs more of it not less in my opinion.This might explain the general lifelessness of this season in some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Jesus fuking christ.

I was googling theories on what happened to Heath.

He's played by Corey Hawkins, same actor who played Dre in Straight Outa Compton and Eric Carter in 24 Legacy.

Three of my favorites over the last couple of years and never copped it. Good actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Another thought: with the battle raging at the gate, how did the cavalry plus tiger get into Alexandria to save the day? Did the Saviours suddenly abandon the gate or is there a secret tiger-sized hole in the fence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Another thought: with the battle raging at the gate, how did the cavalry plus tiger get into Alexandria to save the day? Did the Saviours suddenly abandon the gate or is there a secret tiger-sized hole in the fence?

Tiger sized holes in the plot. Seriously don't try and rationalise it you'll give yourself brain damage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Did the Saviours suddenly abandon the gate or is there a secret tiger-sized hole in the fence?

There's just hundreds of tiger-sized plot holes scattered throughout the episode.

Probably the first season of TWD that I haven't enjoyed overall. Found myself cringing and rolling my eyes a lot watching the finale last night.

The Kingdom is awful IMO. Should have been reigned in a bit from the comics and not copied so literally. It's a zombie show yes, and there has to be some suspension of disbelief but I think up until the Kingdom was introduced the show was reasonably good at being "real". Marching up the street with banners ffs, it's just daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

There must have been nearly 100 rubbish people rolled in in trucks and bikes (all armed) another 100 of Negans all armed ......maybe a dozen of Ricks and another dozen plus a tiger run them off.......yippeee ki yay

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

A disappointing end to a disappointing season. I really hope next season can redeem this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Voted a 6, fairly mediocre. Nothing has topped the first two seasons.

The pacing was brutal this season, lots of filler and a very rushed finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

I am saddened by how awful this show has become.
    The story lines, script, fight scenes, tension etc has gone to sh1t.
    But one thing I cannot get my head around is how dire the acting has become ?
    Maggie, Rick, Michonne - seem to all have forgotten how to act.
    And Jesus - who seemed really interesting when we first met him, he was like a Ninja - is now
    just another pointless character standing around in the background. Piping up every now and then
    with worthless drivel.
    What has happened to this show ?
    And where did Gregory go ?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I was wondering how the tiger and horse were able come in from the rear of alexandria. There is only one gate, right? Maybe a CATapult? Neigh..

Those dirty garbage people are some of the most annoying feckers on TV. Apocalypse happened, what, two years ago, and they've regressed to the speech level of someone with a brain injury.

I don't know what deal they hammered out with the Saviour's, but I hope they get screwed over bad. THey probably will, and come crawling back to Rick for help.

I did love the trained tiger killing machine. It was handy that he was so skilled at identifying targests. Shame the horse couldn't go all killer also. Maybe kick some dirty umbrella wielding scavenger.

The scavengers are all clearly hipsters. With their bikes and umbrellas.

The kingom had quite a small "army" didn't then? Less than 10?

Maggie's still skinny, so that's handy.

We're left with Neegan gone. About a hundred saviours. Not a lot of scavengers. A possible spy (or two) in Neegan's camp. Rick has a lot of guns, but they must have burned up a LOT of ammo. And a tiger.

They need to gather an army now I presume. Maybe the beach bunnies at oceanside will help now.

I think they will need to meet another group of people willing to fight, but he seems to keep using them up.

I did like the battle scence, cheesy as it was. Especiially the King's battle cry. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

That was truly awful, I am officially done with the Walking Dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

MarkR wrote: »
    I was wondering how the tiger and horse were able come in from the rear of alexandria. There is only one gate, right? Maybe a CATapult? Neigh..

Those dirty garbage people are some of the most annoying feckers on TV. Apocalypse happened, what, two years ago, and they've regressed to the speech level of someone with a brain injury.

I don't know what deal they hammered out with the Saviour's, but I hope they get screwed over bad. THey probably will, and come crawling back to Rick for help.

I did love the trained tiger killing machine. It was handy that he was so skilled at identifying targests. Shame the horse couldn't go all killer also. Maybe kick some dirty umbrella wielding scavenger.

The scavengers are all clearly hipsters. With their bikes and umbrellas.

The kingom had quite a small "army" didn't then? Less than 10?

Maggie's still skinny, so that's handy.

We're left with Neegan gone. About a hundred saviours. Not a lot of scavengers. A possible spy (or two) in Neegan's camp. Rick has a lot of guns, but they must have burned up a LOT of ammo. And a tiger.

They need to gather an army now I presume. Maybe the beach bunnies at oceanside will help now.

I think they will need to meet another group of people willing to fight, but he seems to keep using them up.

I did like the battle scence, cheesy as it was. Especiially the King's battle cry. :-)

That was the final nail for me with this show. It was terrible, groups of people out in the open shooting guns at each other and missing. It was laughable in places it was so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

MarkR wrote: »

Reminded me of Aragorn at the black gate, but not in a good way :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

King Ezekiels battle cry was great I thought.Fits it with his whole over the top character.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Awful, awful stuff.
    I won't be watching next season week by week certainly not "live" anyway.

It's been an atrocious season anyway, but that episode topped it all off
    Carl aiming with his eye patch eye, the garbage folk standing waiting to be shot, when the Boy Wonder Carl turned his gun on them and set the rest off, the Garbage folk tip toeing up behind a group only for the the group to turn around and mow them down.
    There was no tension either, I simply refuse to believe that if Rick was that angry at Negan, he wouldn't have jumped him there and then especially with Carl threatened. Knew it wasn't Michonne thrown off the building, no broken nose or lose of teeth for her after smashing the floor repeatedly.
    Sascha's zombie going for a stroll in the woods instead of eating one of the dozen bodies strewn around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Negan has filled out as the season went on and hopefully next season will look the imposing figure he apparently should look, nice insight into his cunning intelligence tonight with how he had Rick set up. Amazed Eugene made it through the episode, was hoping to see both his and Carls brains smashed.

I noticed this too, JDM must have had some other acting gig earlier on he was trim for? He normally doesn't look that skinny does he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

claiva wrote: »
    I am saddened by how awful this show has become.
    The story lines, script, fight scenes, tension etc has gone to sh1t.
    But one thing I cannot get my head around is how dire the acting has become ?
    Maggie, Rick, Michonne - seem to all have forgotten how to act.

Honestly i would not be surprised if they were fairly demoralized with the scripts they have been getting and the performances are suffering because of it.

Also i was really hoping to see carl die that kid is abysmal on the show, i think his scene firing a fully automatic from the back of a truck sums the whole season up what bad acting, they need to kill that kid of replace him with some one who has actual talent.

Advertisement