Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is liable for fire brigade charges

Options
  • 30-03-2017 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

My parents were involved in a car crash in December and were not at fault. Their car was a write off and was replaced by the other parties insurance.
    This week they received a bill for fire brigade charges. My mother rang their broker and the broker informed my mam she is liable for these charges.

Before i ring the broker tomorrow, i need a sense check. Surely as the other party was 100% liable for the crash they should cover the fire brigade charges. Is this correct?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

The beneficial recipient of the services is primarily responsible for the invoice. However, if a 3rd party is responsible for the accident, your parents have a right of recovery from them

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Thank you, i will contact broker tomorrow and go through this with them.

While personnel in the front line of the fire services are magnificent people, it started to become a practice for local authorities to bill people outrageous amounts to attend incidents, knowing insurers would pick up the tab. The cap on policy benefits is an effort to stem increases.

Note; If a 3rd party causes the loss, you can't be out of pocket. Your policy limit doesn't come in to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mrsbeebee

Send it to the other persons insurer with a note and contact the local authority to say your parents weren't at fault and they should forward the bill to the insurer also. Your parents aren't responsible for this bill.

mrsbeebee wrote:
    Send it to the other persons insurer with a note and contact the local authority to say your parents weren't at fault and they should forward the bill to the insurer also. Your parents aren't responsible for this bill.

The local authority are not going to pursue a 3rd party on your behalf. The invoice is your responsibility but you have a right to recover it from the 3rd party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

The local authority are not going to pursue a 3rd party on your behalf. The invoice is your responsibility but you have a right to recover it from the 3rd party

They would be mad to pay it and go through the hassle of claiming it through 3rd party insurance; a firmly written letter back to the local authority denying any responsibility for the debt will the the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

While personnel in the front line of the fire services are magnificent people, it started to become a practice for local authorities to bill people outrageous amounts to attend incidents, knowing insurers would pick up the tab. The cap on policy benefits is an effort to stem increases.

Note; If a 3rd party causes the loss, you can't be out of pocket. Your policy limit doesn't come in to play.

Happened my ex - he had an accident on the border of two counties.....two fire brigades came and two fire brigades billed him!

radharc wrote: »
    They would be mad to pay it and go through the hassle of claiming it through 3rd party insurance; a firmly written letter back to the local authority denying any responsibility for the debt will the the end of it.

They don't usually give up. You have responsibility for the invoice, as you benefited from the services. However, the 3rd party is liable for any loss naturally flowing from the accident. As their insurers have already conceded on liability, they will reimburse you for the outlay and probably agree to pay the local authority directly on your behalf.

Ignore it and it becomes your debt and all that follows from that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Can you argue that you didn't ask for the service and were not responsible for calling them? I mean if a neighbour walks by my house and seems it necessary for a lick of paint, am I liable to pay the painter if the neighbour engaged them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Engine of my car went on fire.
    My neighbour called the fire brigade.

Fire was extinguished.
    Received a bill for €955.

I assumed that my insurance policy would pay the bill.

Transpires that only comprehensive policies are covered for fire/ambulance service costs (AXA Insurance).

I got in to a protracted debate with my insurer (AXA) and in the meantime kept the local authority informed. 12 months in to the protracted debate,
    I started receiving letters from Stubbs Gazette because the local authority handed the case over to Stubbs.
    I had to settle the bill personally, eventually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

I must be well put of touch or just lucky enough never to have needed any of these services as I thought our fine tax dollars paid for these services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

hinault wrote: »
    Engine of my car went on fire.
    My neighbour called the fire brigade.

Fire was extinguished.
    Received a bill for €955.

I assumed that my insurance policy would pay the bill.

Transpires that only comprehensive policies are covered for fire/ambulance service costs (AXA Insurance).

So if you ring up fire brigade to your neighbours car your neighbour pays?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

judeboy101 wrote: »

That's what happened in my case.

The neighbour saw my car on fire - he called the fire brigade - fire brigade extinguished the fire - I paid the bill.

judeboy101 wrote: »

Yes. The person who receives the benefit from the services pays, regardless of who makes the call

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Just a quick update on this.

I rang the broker. The claim is going through my mothers insurance and they will seek recovery from the third party insurance.
    When i questioned the broker on these charges they contact my mothers insurance.
    My mothers insurance will seek recovery of these charges with the other costs and will ensure the fire brigade charges are paid.

The only issue is that in the mean time is that the county council will not be paid until the third party pays up. I will contact them and let them know the situation so they are aware the insurer will be paying directly and it may take some time.
    On the plus side i should hopefully get some crash related medial expenses back for my parents which i was not aware that they paid.

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

Yes. The person who receives the benefit from the services pays, regardless of who makes the call

A few years back a neighbour was burning bushes.
    A passer by called the fire brigade.
    The neighbour refused acess to the fire brigade.
    The tried to bill him for their services .
    He refused to pay as he didnt call them or get any service off them .
    They then went after the passerby who rang them and got ayment from him.

9935452 wrote: »

The neighbour burning the bushes was not in need of the benefit of the fire services

The neighbour burning the bushes was not in need of the benefit of the fire services

Totally but they still got paid for their time. .
    It would make you think twice about ringing the fire brigade.
    That or pull the sim card from your phone so they dont know who rang them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

You Cannot burn bushes without a "permit to burn" from the local authority, that is a fact. Primarily to avoid the very issue mentioned here. As regards RTCs or traffic accidents to the layman. The local authority sends the same bill to each party involved in the incident ,it's up to the insurance companies to sort out who pays. Oh and if there's a fatality involved then there is no bill.

• Advertisement

UrbanFret wrote: »

You Cannot burn bushes without a "permit to burn" from the local authority, that is a fact. Primarily to avoid the very issue mentioned here.

As i said above it happened a good few years ago .
    A general tip back then was to ring the fire brigade and let them know you were doung a controlled burn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

As i said above it happened a good few years ago .
    A general tip back then was to ring the fire brigade and let them know you were doung a controlled burn

Years ago that used to suffice . Nowadays, like everything else it's a bit more long winded. You send in your "intent to burn form" at least 3 days in advance of the burn. The local authority contacts ERCC (eastern regional control centre) or WRCC depending where in the country you are. they also send a letter informing the local station officer of the application. If someone reports the burn, Control now know that this is a controlled burn,permission has been granted for it and they do not alert the fire service.;)

Advertisement