Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door sensor

Options
  • 30-03-2017 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭

Any recommendation for a door sensor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

matrim wrote:
    Any recommendation for a door sensor?

Just to say it's open ?

smartThings

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Opened stoned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I use the Aeotec recessed door sensors in a couple of places about the gaff. Drilled the long part into the door and recessed the magnet into the top of the frame.
    Never skipped a beat and they have replaceable batteries unlike the Sensative strip I have in one of the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Stoner wrote: »
    Just to say it's open ?

smartThings

I want to be able to tell when a door opens / closes. It would be good to be able to get the status too e.g. check if it is closed.

Basically, I want to be able to trigger lights (and possible other things) using home-assistant based on opening of doors. The main use cases would be
    * Turn on hall lights when front door opens
    * Turn on laundry room lights when door opens. And turn off 5 minutes after door closes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Wossack

smartthings will do that, but its a bit of a faff getting it to integrate in with home assistant imo

have you a hub already? are the lights hooked up to anything?

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »
    smartthings will do that, but its a bit of a faff getting it to integrate in with home assistant imo

have you a hub already? are the lights hooked up to anything?

Lights are Hue bulbs, and the only hub I have is the Hue one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

elgato eve have a door sensor that works with apple homekit, i use their elgato eve plugs. The hue lights also work with homekit. the automation section in apple home has a "if doors open" then.. "turn on lights"

I have a couple of arcade cabs and a pinball machine plugged into the eve plugs so i have a scene called pinball, and it lowers all lights to 10% and changes their colour while also turning on the pinball.

Im sure you can do that with the door sensor.

this is all assuming you are an apple user of course!

otherwise the door sensor might work with ifttt or stringify.

elgato eve have a door sensor that works with apple homekit, i use their elgato eve plugs. The hue lights also work with homekit. the automation section in apple home has a "if doors open" then.. "turn on lights"

I have a couple of arcade cabs and a pinball machine plugged into the eve plugs so i have a scene called pinball, and it lowers all lights to 10% and changes their colour while also turning on the pinball.

Im sure you can do that with the door sensor.

this is all assuming you are an apple user of course!

otherwise the door sensor might work with ifttt or stringify.

Thanks for the suggestion but not an Apple user. And would prefer to keep things on the local network only if possible.

matrim wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion but not an Apple user. And would prefer to keep things on the local network only if possible.

Get a zwave usb stick for whatever you are running your HA install on. You can then hook whatever zwave sensor you like into HA. You might want to study up on it though as I recall it wasn't that straight forward.

That said what you'd like to do is perfectly doable with just the Philips motion sensors. Only drawback with those lads is that it's easy to get the temp and lux levels into HA, but awkward to get the actual purpose of the sensor, motion in.
    You have to set up a virtual sensor in HA and poll the real sensor every few seconds and there could either be a lag depending on poll time you set or you end up hammering the **** out of the Hue hub and other lighting automations might slow down if you poll too quickly.

I use the recessed door sensor to do exactly what you are looking for in my utility room btw (got a cheap as hell Smartthings hub and starter kit). I wish I'd invested in the time do to the Zwave stick thing though.

Roen wrote: »
    Get a zwave usb stick for whatever you are running your HA install on. You can then hook whatever zwave sensor you like into HA. You might want to study up on it though as I recall it wasn't that straight forward.

That said what you'd like to do is perfectly doable with just the Philips motion sensors. Only drawback with those lads is that it's easy to get the temp and lux levels into HA, but awkward to get the actual purpose of the sensor, motion in.
    You have to set up a virtual sensor in HA and poll the real sensor every few seconds and there could either be a lag depending on poll the time you set or you end up hammering the **** out of the Hue hub and other lighting automations might slow down if you poll too quickly.

I use the recessed door sensor to do exactly what you are looking for in my utility room btw (got a cheap as hell Smartthings hub and starter kit). I wish I'd invested in the time do to the Zwave stick thing though.

I was thinking of the zwave stick idea. Can you just hook up normal smart thing sensors to it?

• Advertisement

I think all the stuff that shipped with the smartthings kit were zigbee rather than zwave. The ST hub has both radios in it whereas the zwave stick will only do zwave.
    I'm not mad on the Samsung stuff to be honest. Anything else I've bought is less ugly and seems better put together to boot.
    If I wasn't such a bargain hound I would have passed over the starter kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ok well the smartThings sensor does all that and will give you temperature in the room too.

Another option is to use an intruder alarm like the Siemens unit to do it.

I had this set up before it was.a good way to utilize the sensors

Third option

http://m.gearbest.com/smart-light-bulb/pp_257677

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

take a look at the xiaomi stuff, the door sensor uses zigbee, is absolutely tiny and only costs €6! (you do have to buy the hub too.. about 25 quid)

For an update on this I bought an Aeon Z-Stick Gen 5 and hooked it up to Home-Assistant on my RPi. For the door sensor I got a AEON ZW112 Door/Window Sensor 6 and they are working perfectly together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

beanian wrote: »
    take a look at the xiaomi stuff, the door sensor uses zigbee, is absolutely tiny and only costs €6! (you do have to buy the hub too.. about 25 quid)

Hey interested to find out more about this as costs starting to add up quickly so would be great if the xiaomi option is cheap but actually works. Sounds like you need a xiaomi hub but can this then be integrated woth/controlled by a HA controller such as SmartThings, Homeseer, or Vera?

For an update on this I bought an Aeon Z-Stick Gen 5 and hooked it up to Home-Assistant on my RPi. For the door sensor I got a AEON ZW112 Door/Window Sensor 6 and they are working perfectly together.

I have one of those gadgets on a window. Works well, needed it's first recharge in about 5 months there about a month ago.

I prefer recessing the door sensors as they are invisible, have you made yours fit in with the look of the door? My window one is behind the bit of the blind that hangs down so can never be seen.

Roen wrote: »
    I have one of those gadgets on a window. Works well, needed it's first recharge in about 5 months there about a month ago.

I prefer recessing the door sensors as they are invisible, have you made yours fit in with the look of the door? My window one is behind the bit of the blind that hangs down so can never be seen.

It's only on a utility room door and is on the inside of the door so not seen unless it's open. Because I don't really mind how it looks there.

In saying that the sensor is fairly discreet so once the colour was the same as the background it wouldn't be hugely noticeable.

I'm considering what to do for the front door and the 2 options I have are

1. Attach a zwave sensor to the existing alarm wiring and use that to detect the door opening.
    2. Use something like that door sensor above.

I'm leaning towards option 1 but if I had to do option 2 I'd probably attach the main sensor to the frame and I don't think it would be any more noticeable than the current alarm sensor. In fact I think it looks nicer.

It's only on a utility room door and is on the inside of the door so not seen unless it's open. Because I don't really mind how it looks there.

In saying that the sensor is fairly discreet so once the colour was the same as the background it wouldn't be hugely noticeable.

I'm considering what to do for the front door and the 2 options I have are

1. Attach a zwave sensor to the existing alarm wiring and use that to detect the door opening.
    2. Use something like that door sensor above.

I'm leaning towards option 1 but if I had to do option 2 I'd probably attach the main sensor to the frame and I don't think it would be any more noticeable than the current alarm sensor. In fact I think it looks nicer.

Check out Sensative Strips. Have one in a window and they are totally invisible.

Drawback? Non replaceable battery and only a two year warranty despite them saying the battery should last ten years.

Advertisement