Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What am I missing not going sub ohm?

• 30-03-2017 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭

I'm a vaping anachronism.
    I vape 24mg on a ebaron Prodripper, 1.8 ohms coils at around 6.4v
    Any higher and I find the taste diminishes / tends to burning..

Never tried sub ohm, but intrigued to find what I'm missing.

If you were looking to make a convert, what solution (tank / dripper) with premade coils (a prerequisite) would you suggest?

My nic stash would go a lot further if I was vaping 6 or even 3mg (though the increased juice consumption would likely even that out a bit I'd have thought - currently only vape about 3ml a day)

Anyway, sub ohmers, try and turn me to the dark side :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

You will fly through juice a lot quicker for sure. I don't tend to push sub ohm vaping to MTL vapers unless they DIY their own juice. Because that way, it's still cheap as chips.

I was a MTL vaper for 2 years, when the sub ohm phase entered I was very skeptical. I had seen reviews on the Atlantis and to me then, it sounded ridiculous. But after trying it in a vape shop - after coughing and spluttering on first couple of attempts! - I was sold. You adapt to it very quickly, your brain just takes a few seconds to switch gears and stop approaching it like a cig, but more like an inhaler.

For me, the thicker, creamier vape is the attraction. Flavours are smoother and you can go max VG without wicking issues. PG heavy juices used to give me a bit of a headache if I chain vaped. I have never had this with max VG [80/20+] and you only really get away with thick juices like that with sub ohm tanks. Flavours are maybe not as potent as with high PG juices, but they are sweeter and more pleasant to my pallet.

Why not go to a local vape shop and give it a good try? You'll know pretty quick if it's for you or not. I never missed MTL vaping once I switched, and I also have the benefit of reduced nic with pretty much the same satisfaction.

For stock only coils it's hard to beat the Aspire Cleito. A very easy tank to get along with, great flavour and no fuss, just fill, and vape. If you decide you want to try building your own coils at any point, you can get the RBA deck for it. I still use my Cleito today, alongside my rebuildables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

You will fly through juice a lot quicker for sure. I don't tend to push sub ohm vaping to MTL vapers unless they DIY their own juice. Because that way, it's still cheap as chips.

I was a MTL vaper for 2 years, when the sub ohm phase entered I was very skeptical. I had seen reviews on the Atlantis and to me then, it sounded ridiculous. But after trying it in a vape shop - after coughing and spluttering on first couple of attempts! - I was sold. You adapt to it very quickly, your brain just takes a few seconds to switch gears and stop approaching it like a cig, but more like an inhaler.

For me, the thicker, creamier vape is the attraction. Flavours are smoother and you can go max VG without wicking issues. PG heavy juices used to give me a bit of a headache if I chain vaped. I have never had this with max VG [80/20+] and you only really get away with thick juices like that with sub ohm tanks. Flavours are maybe not as potent as with high PG juices, but they are sweeter and more pleasant to my pallet.

Why not go to a local vape shop and give it a good try? You'll know pretty quick if it's for you or not. I never missed MTL vaping once I switched, and I also have the benefit of reduced nic with pretty much the same satisfaction.

For stock only coils it's hard to beat the Aspire Cleito. A very easy tank to get along with, great flavour and no fuss, just fill, and vape. If you decide you want to try building your own coils at any point, you can get the RBA deck for it. I still use my Cleito today, alongside my rebuildables.

Thanks Cagey - I'm mixing my own OK (2 litres of nic in the freezer for the apocalypse :) ), and am on max VG since I started vaping (pg reaction)..

Think I'll give the Cleito a go so...
    Assuming there are different resistance coils, which ones should I go for?
    Using a Pico mod, if that makes a difference..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

If you wanted to test the waters for free (well sort of) Id highly recommend the Nautilus 2. Its a great MTL tank but with the addition of the new 0.7ohm coils it turns into a very nice sub ohm tank.

Then if sub ohming isn't for you it wont be the end of the world as you'll still have a very nice shiny new tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dr Bill V1.5

Total agreement with the above two posts although I haven't tried the new Nautilus I believe it's excellent. The Cleito is without doubt a top class tank to enter the sub ohm arena with. You will get 2 stock coils included with it, 0.4 and 0.2, personally I prefer the 0.4 at about 50/55 watts. It seems to give a better flavour than the 0.2. Your Pico being a single battery mod will struggle to keep up with a constant high watt drain so you'd probably be better to look for a dual battery setup if you decide to stick with the sub ohm. At first as has been mentioned you'll probably take a while to adjust but stick with it as it can be a very satisfying vape.

Total agreement with the above two posts although I haven't tried the new Nautilus I believe it's excellent. The Cleito is without doubt a top class tank to enter the sub ohm arena with. You will get 2 stock coils included with it, 0.4 and 0.2, personally I prefer the 0.4 at about 50/55 watts. It seems to give a better flavour than the 0.2. Your Pico being a single battery mod will struggle to keep up with a constant high watt drain so you'd probably be better to look for a dual battery setup if you decide to stick with the sub ohm. At first as has been mentioned you'll probably take a while to adjust but stick with it as it can be a very satisfying vape.

Thanks Dr Bill..
    Would that suggest that, with the Pico, the 0.7 coils on the Nautilis would be more suitable?
    Apologies, I never listened in Physics class :)

• Advertisement

UsedToWait wrote:
    Thanks Dr Bill.. Would that suggest that, with the Pico, the 0.7 coils on the Nautilis would be more suitable? Apologies, I never listened in Physics class

The Cleito or Nautilus coil will work perfectly on the Pico,as soon as you increase the wattage on a single battery mod though you will notice it's charge drain much faster. I wouldn't change your mod till you try it first, sub ohm may not be for you at all but it's worth a try and the Cleito can be picked up reasonably priced I'd imagine as it has been around for a while now.

Thanks folks, very helpful :)

One last question, what mg mix should I try?
    I'm assuming if I lash my 24mg in, I'll poison / choke myself!

Maybe try 6mg to start?

UsedToWait wrote:
    One last question, what mg mix should I try? I'm assuming if I lash my 24mg in, I'll poison / choke myself!

If your starting I'd recommend 3mg, I can't do much above that or I'll cough up a lung. If you feel your not getting the hit then increase it bit by bit.70 or 80 VG keeps it smooth with 3mg nic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭chipfox

There's nothing special about going under 1 ohm, it just gives you more of everything. I do it because it tastes much better, but you run through juice much faster and need to use lower nicotine strength.

I'd say 3mg is too low to start though, I'd go with at least 6.

Cheers folks..
    Ordered the Nautilus 2 with the 0.7 coils in the end - as Trond said, it's a no risk proposition, as I can always get the higher ohm coils if I don't take to sub-ohm..
    Will report back when I get it :)

Edit: @chipfox - I'll mix up 10ml at 3mg first I reckon, and if it doesn't hit the spot, I'll try 6..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I started with 6mg, after coming off mostly 12mg [with the odd 18mg] in MTL tanks. Took me a while to get used to 3mg even after that. I think 6mg is a good start to ensure you're getting sufficient hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Cheers folks..
    Ordered the Nautilus 2 with the 0.7 coils in the end - as Trond said, it's a no risk proposition, as I can always get the higher ohm coils if I don't take to sub-ohm..
    Will report back when I get it :)

Edit: @chipfox - I'll mix up 10ml at 3mg first I reckon, and if it doesn't hit the spot, I'll try 6..

I quite like the .7 coils in the nautilus 2. I was always an mtl vaper and through various tanks gradually progressed to sub ohm but still use my istick 30w and nautilus for work. Its a nice portable setup and can take a bit of abuse.

The .7 is great at a little over 20w. You'll get good battery life too. Have a 1.8 in it at min and it barely gives me a hit now compared to the .7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Don Imac2

EDITED

I have never been able to get this until I read your post above. The inhaler is great analogy. Now I can sub-ohm to my hearts content. Thanks.

Just to update, got the Nautilus 2 and the 0.7 coils, and have to say I'm very happy with the flavour, and 6mg juice is plenty satisfying :)

Will be staying with my 1.8ohms for stealth, but the Nautilus is a nice change for evening time..

Thanks again for the advice..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Just to update, got the Nautilus 2 and the 0.7 coils, and have to say I'm very happy with the flavour, and 6mg juice is plenty satisfying :)

Will be staying with my 1.8ohms for stealth, but the Nautilus is a nice change for evening time..

Thanks again for the advice..

Im not 100% sure so maybe somebody else might confirm....? If the new 1.8ohm Triton Mini Clapton coils work in the Nautilus 2 they would be ideal and a step up on the standard 1.8 BVC coils.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bartszu

Thanks Cagey - I'm mixing my own OK (2 litres of nic in the freezer for the apocalypse :) )

If this is a situation the answer to your question would be.
    You missing everything.

High gauge coils (high ohms) tend to fry liquid.
    They produce only cold vapor, but surprisingly they are hotter so they produce less or no taste.
    There is almost no way to produce huge plums from them, well there is but it will be fried like crap something.

About juice consumption yeah it is crazy, you need to DIY and not only DIY.
    As now you can actually taste how your juice taste, you cant just make an Apple flavor. When you first try well balanced creamy, high VG juice, when you will fill all high and low notes, after taste. Vaping just so called normal 24 mg juice would be like torture.

But many people do it for years and they don't look for anything else.

Advertisement