Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squat depth

• 31-03-2017 12:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭

Anyone have any good corrective exercises for gaining sufficient squat depth? The more I go into squat position my torso leans forwards and heels lift.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Resting squats

That is dropping into a squat postion (unloaded) and holding it for a few minutes.
    Start by holding as long as you can, work up to 5mins, then 10mins etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

ironkiwi wrote: »
    Anyone have any good corrective exercises for gaining sufficient squat depth? The more I go into squat position my torso leans forwards and heels lift.

How is your flexibility? You might need to loosen up your hips and calves before you can get the right form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Mellor wrote: »
    Resting squats

That is dropping into a squat postion (unloaded) and holding it for a few minutes.

These every evening while your watching telly especially if it's something with ad breaks.
    I had the same issue as you and this fixed most of my issue.
    When you can comfortably sit in the hole for time do the same during squat warm ups for 60 secs at a time with 40kg on your back.
    Make sure you keep a nice body position and over time it will increase your range of motion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

You will not be able to increase your depth while maintaining your current weight.

Knock 40% off your current weight. Get your form and depth sorted. Then ramp back up to your current weight maintaining the depth.

Worked for me pretty quickly. I was back to my original weight in two weeks but with a deeper squat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You will not be able to increase your depth while maintaining your current weight.

I presume/hope you mean the weight on the bar. It's not entirely clear...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

one of my training partners was really struggling for depth on his squat .. could move any weight but just couldn't get down consistently. He was told to work on his ankle mobility .. so he spends about 10 minutes before each squat session working on his ankles and after a couple of weeks depth is no problem for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

Mellor wrote: »
    Resting squats

Do I do this getting as deep as I can without lifting me heels or can I go down deep with heels rising?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

whippet wrote: »
    one of my training partners was really struggling for depth on his squat .. could move any weight but just couldn't get down consistently. He was told to work on his ankle mobility .. so he spends about 10 minutes before each squat session working on his ankles and after a couple of weeks depth is no problem for him

I think it might be down to my ankle flexibility as I performed the ankle Dorsi flexion test and I have limited flexibility there. You have any ankle mobility exercises that work best?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Don't lift the heels, you are trying to gain ROM in the ankles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I presume/hope you mean the weight on the bar. It's not entirely clear...

What, you've never lost 40% of your body mass to improve form?
    conzy wrote: »
    Don't lift the heels, you are trying to gain ROM in the ankles.

I think that's kind of the point. He knows he's not supposed to but can't help it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Toe elevated squats??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Dtp1979 wrote:
    Toe elevated squats??

Been there, wobble squats!

Ass to grass isn't easy for most of us, been working on hip and ankle flexibility for a while.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ironkiwi wrote: »
    Do I do this getting as deep as I can without lifting me heels or can I go down deep with heels rising?
    Don't let heels rise as this removes the stretch from the achilles area.
    Just go as deep as you can comfortably hold.
    Feel free to work on direct ankle work too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Zillah wrote: »
    What, you've never lost 40% of your body mass to improve form?.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was suggested tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

I wouldn't be surprised if it was suggested tbh

Slimming world maybe?

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭CPTM

Try putting a flat 1 kg plate under each heel of your foot. That helps stabilise my squat anyways..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

At the beginning i found a decent pair of olympic shoes helped me greatly!
    Eventualy over the years i went back to converse and retained my depth!

Advertisement