Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend an international moving company to ship my stuff from the US to

Options
  • 31-03-2017 4:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]We are relocating to Ireland from Washington DC and looking for a shipping company to bring our household effects door-to-door (we have no relocation package). Finding a million companies out there and a lot of scam warnings. Any recommendations would be appreciated.[/font]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

On the USA forum a couple of people seem to have moved so you may have better luck there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

We did it a few years ago when we moved to the West coast.

Honestly, If I had my time over I wouldn't bother doing it again. It was pricey and realistically we'd have been better off selling most of our stuff back home and buying it again out here. For clothes and all that, it's cheaper just to pay for extra suitcases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

I'm probably a wee bit biased as I used to work for them aons ago but I would recommend these:

https://www.unitedvanlines.com/international-moving

But as said it is very expensive to move everything so best to try and sell non essentials here in DC first.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]We are relocating to Ireland from Washington DC and looking for a shipping company to bring our household effects door-to-door (we have no relocation package). Finding a million companies out there and a lot of scam warnings. Any recommendations would be appreciated.[/font]

Are you moving for a set number of years with young kids? If so paying to move all the accumulated family crap makes sense. If moving yourself and other half only, then only move portables, valuables, memories and yourselves via checked luggage and ups/fed ex if necessary.

The above advice does not apply to a forever move necessarily but I know a family who moved with a small mountain of checked bags and airfreighted the pets. They sold and gave away the bigger stuff and any heirloom stuff was given to family on long term loan with written agreement (even between siblings).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 thesodofturf

Thanks all.  Ended up comparing/quoting a number of providers and settled on Suddath.  Cheapest by far was an Irish crowd called [font=arial, sans, sans-serif]IPS Groupage Services but we would've had to get our stuff to the port and we need door-to-door service. [/font]
    Move in 2 weeks.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Advertisement