Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casual Trading Licence - can it be objected?

Options
  • 31-03-2017 7:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I've been looking into getting a Casual Trading License (507e!?) and currently doing some market research in the chosen area. I've been told by a business "Don't be surprised if Business Y objects"

Can a business object to a Casual Trader in the area if I get the license and trade in the designated area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Of course they can object doesn't mean it will make any difference though.

• Site Banned Posts: 129 ✭✭nosilver

skilgannon wrote: »
    I've been looking into getting a Casual Trading License (507e!?) and currently doing some market research in the chosen area. I've been told by a business "Don't be surprised if Business Y objects"

Can a business object to a Casual Trader in the area if I get the license and trade in the designated area?

absolutely 100% - imagine if you are paying high commercial rates to a council and then they allow someone to trade causally in the same area - you'd be very pissed off.

If you are competing with business already in situ expect objection.

Would you like if you got your licence, built up a trade and then they allowed someone doing similar to trade beside you?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 skilgannon

The designated trading area is a completely different space in the town. I would have thought designated trading areas would be a safe zone so to speak.

At what stage can they object? i.e if I apply for the trading license and pump capital into this business only for an objection to occur and license revoked?

• Site Banned Posts: 129 ✭✭nosilver

skilgannon wrote: »
    The designated trading area is a completely different space in the town. I would have thought designated trading areas would be a safe zone so to speak.

At what stage can they object? i.e if I apply for the trading license and pump capital into this business only for an objection to occur and license revoked?

Once a licence is granted, then you have a legal contract and it would be difficult to revoke unless you broke the agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

My understanding of the casual trading license is that licenses are limited to and based on the availability of allotments, i.e only one license holder per allotment.

I've heard as well that some of the traders can be a bit tough to deal with as regards welcoming competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 skilgannon

Thanks all for the responses. 
    None of the traders in the area are in tea/coffee business so it seems like a good opportunity to fill that gap. The nearest cafe is a bit of a walk away too from the main town attraction.

We've talked to some of the local businesses to offer discounts etc for their customers and they were very encouraging. We're going ahead with the trading license and had a great chat with a lady in the county council office. It seems most are trading on private land in the townland, while this is probably a cheaper route the designated trading area is better located. Certainly worth a go in year 1 anyway.

If anything comes up with regards to objections etc I'll report back. Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

Hi. Just curious as I'm thinking of doing the same thing soon. How did it turn out for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

How long does a casual trading license stand for?

Advertisement