Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualifications required to teach in Institutes of technology

Options
  • 31-03-2017 7:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hey does anyone know the required qualifications to lecture at IT level? I know you need a masters but theres another qualification you need aswel, does anyone know what it is?

Thanks x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Carlow IT have a number of lecturer posts advertised.on irishjobs.ie at the moment. Mimimum for lecturer seems to be relevant honours degree plus relevant masters with several years post graduate experience but depending on the intended course level a PhD might be required.

Minimum requirements and what is required to actually get a lecturer position offer may differ. You need to show that you are a better choice than any other candidates.

Requirements vary by discipline. In my area (business), IT's are increasingly looking for faculty to be research-active including possessing a PhD. If you don't have one, you would need to demonstrate willingness and aptitude to pursue one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Let's be crystal clear here - for assistant lecturer level (the level at which all jobs are advertised in an IoT) the requirements are a first or second class honours degree at level 8, with 3 year post grad experience, nothing more.

There is no requirement for a masters and it is the same for all disciplines.

If you doubt what I am saying, have a look at IT Sligo who have a load of positions advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Teapot30

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Let's be crystal clear here - for assistant lecturer level (the level at which all jobs are advertised in an IoT) the requirements are a first or second class honours degree at level 8, with 3 year post grad experience, nothing more.

There is no requirement for a masters and it is the same for all disciplines.

If you doubt what I am saying, have a look at IT Sligo who have a load of positions advertised.

Are you sure? I remember when doing my undergrad around 3rd year quite a few of my tutors where doing their masters part time because of some new regulations regarding IT lecturers needing a postgrad. You need an extra 2 years master degree qualification to teach secondary school and postgrad teaching qualification plus experience to teach post second level like fetac, and adult education. It doesnt make sense that the qualification requirements would be lower for third level than they are for secondary school or fetac teaching jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Teapot30 wrote: »
    Are you sure? I remember when doing my undergrad around 3rd year quite a few of my tutors where doing their masters part time because of some new regulations regarding IT lecturers needing a postgrad. You need an extra 2 years master degree qualification to teach secondary school and postgrad teaching qualification plus experience to teach post second level like fetac, and adult education. It doesnt make sense that the qualification requirements would be lower for third level than they are for secondary school or fetac teaching jobs.
    Tom Dunne wrote: »

:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement