Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Original Question: Heatwave week of 03-04-17 ? Replies and guessed highest Temps.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Working outside and its bloody cold. Heatwave me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

According to ME this morning we are back to rain again on Sunday, I recall one of them saying we are into a long dry spell for the foreseeable future, seems a few days is the foreseeable future for ME

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Storm 10, a dry spell can go on for months and months. After a long run of dry months, it officially becomes a drought then. Like, do you think October 1974-August 1976 (the famous Irish drought) had 0mm of rainfall? No, rain came at times but was in short supply. Rain returning doesn't necessarily mean the end of a dry spell, same with a drought. The heavy rains of January/February/June 2011 did not end the drought of 2010-12 in England & Wales now did it? No. The rest of 2012, April-December (which were all wetter than normal except May) ended it, a run of 8 wetter than normal months.

The highest temperature I predict is 16c, it's probably going to be 17c knowing my luck of exact value predicting :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Storm 10 wrote: »
    According to ME this morning we are back to rain again on Sunday, I recall one of them saying we are into a long dry spell for the foreseeable future, seems a few days is the foreseeable future for ME

In fairness to ME they don't forecast out beyond 4/5 days so that's the foreseeable future anything after that in this country is guess work.

From Met Eireann

Outlook

Monday: Rain in western counties will extend everywhere during the morning and will then turn more to showers during the afternoon and evening. A clearance will develop during the evening and night. Highest temperatures of 13 or 14 degrees.

Tuesday: Apart from an isolated shower, most of the day will be dry but rather cloudy overall, or with only brief periods of sunshine. Quiet a fresh day with highs of 9 to 11 degrees in westerly breezes.

Midweek: Except for an occasional shower it will continue to remain dry but rather cloudy. Temperatures will remain in the range 10 to 12 degrees in westerly breeze

Hyperthermia wont pose too much of a problem :rolleyes:

Met eireann bang on the money again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Did they write that about Hyperthermia?

Anyways. I can predict with high confidence that it will be 16 to 18 or 19c in July on many days and sunshine and showers.

It is most years. Then there is 5 or 6 days over 20c.

So predicting 10 to 12c in April doesnt make ME geniuses.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

pauldry wrote: »
    I can predict with high confidence that it will be 16 to 18 or 19c in July on many days and sunshine and showers.

Anyone could predict that :D

Thats my point

In fairness some on here were predicting high tempatures this week met eireann didn't and were spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

In fairness some on here were predicting high tempatures this week met eireann didn't and were spot on.

Yes, I, Pauldry and MT were wrong. "I am only human, Harry"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Heatwaves are kinna chilly these days, global warming, me arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Heatwaves are kinna chilly these days, global warming, me arse!

Global warming is legit if you ask me but it does not have a direct impact on Ireland's weather bar heavier rainfalls, at least in my opinion.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Global warming is legit if you ask me but it does not have a direct impact on Ireland's weather bar heavier rainfalls, at least in my opinion.

And windier weather/more storms!

Global Warming doesnt really affect our weather but Climate Change is and will.

The next step of the big change will be when the Arctic Sea Ice is gone in Summer. Then Greenland wont be able to pool as much cool air over the Northwest of Ireland in Summer.

I still think we may see 35c in Summer in Ireland in the next 20 years.

As for this heatwave. Ehmmmm.......

I did predict 21c in Newport today.... its a typo I meant 11c

Maybe tomorrow will see 19 or 20c somewhere and at least MT will be right ....AGAIN..:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Great news! temps could reach 18 degrees tomorrow according to the press. Woo hoo! Fun!

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/glorious-weather-due-across-the-country-on-saturday-1.3040331

And here is another cliché, non-imaginative image they show to make us all feel good and excited about the prospect:image.jpg

I am surprised that terms like 'the mercury could soar' or 'sun starved Irish' have not been used in this reductive article, but still, looking at that image, I can't help but desire that it will pour down on their little deluded parade.

God, I'm bitter :D

New Moon

22c here today. Glorious.

Are u n england?

19 or 20 most in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

18.7 at Casement was the highest.

414134.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

So delayed but not denied sort of a thing, really it was a forecast of when clouds would break and they held really solid for both Wednesday and Thursday. I am probably too optimistic a person to be in the weather forecasting business, a sour pessimist will always win at this game. :)

pauldry wrote: »
    Are u n england?

19 or 20 most in ireland

Yeah. I am in London. It could hit 25 here tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

a sour pessimist will always win at this game. :)
    Hmmm oh where oh where could one of them be found... Not this forum

Maybe in Clonmel

Realist as opposed to sour pessimist but name calling even here is a bit childish isn't it?

Advertisement