Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Literacy scores.

Options
  • 31-03-2017 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

My son's teacher called me aside today to tell me my son's reading has improved again. She's doing the literacy lift off program and told me he scored 1105. I know his reading is above average but I'm unsure what the score relates to.
    Does anyone know what this means?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have no idea!
    What was his STEN score?
    Are you worried about his reading?

http://pdst.ie/sites/default/files/1.%201%20OurStory.pdf might help

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Might be better to post on primary school forum. Few teachers there who might know.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Are you sure it wasn't LLO (Literacy Lift Off?) rather than 110?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Yes it is the literacy lift off program, he's above average for his age and what she said was he has scored 11, 0 , 5 on his last test.
    I can't remember what his last sten score was, I'd have to go looking for his report, he's only in senior infants but he's reading books at an 11yo level
    I understand the sten scores but not the literary lift off... She called me over after school while I was waiting for his younger brother and I didn't think to ask what it meant.:)

If he's only in senior infants then he won't have done the sten tests yet. They only start in 1 st class.

What are you looking for, OP? If he's a good reader, he's a good reader. If he's 6 reading at an 11 year old level then he's a good reader. If he enjoys reading them keep him at it. His sten results in 1st class will tell you whether he's average, or above/below average with regards English and Maths. If you find he is above average in one or both you might consider looking into CTYI for him.

If you think he is above average now, you can look into CTYI anyway. If I remember correctly from my own lads 6 is the age they start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

What are you looking for, OP? If he's a good reader, he's a good reader. If he's 6 reading at an 11 year old level then he's a good reader. If he enjoys reading them keep him at it.

I was just looking to see what it meant, that's all. Something I didn't understand and that drives me bonkers. No biggie.

Ask his teacher!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Would you not post it in the Primary School forum? Surely that would be your best bet at getting an answer? Besides the obvious, ie asking the teacher ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I have been doing Literacy lift off with my class for years and the score makes no sense to me but keep in mind the programme is tailored to suit individual schools. The scoring system they use would be completely different to ours.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

heldel00 wrote: »
    I have been doing Literacy lift off with my class for years and the score makes no sense to me but keep in mind the programme is tailored to suit individual schools. The scoring system they use would be completely different to ours.
    And ours!

• Advertisement
Advertisement