Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interpreting Water Test Results

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Yup, thought so!

That tank is now amusing my niece and nephew down in Galway, still running fine (don't think the bulb has even been changed since your ownership!)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kar_M

Thanks for the offer dude. It's just so disheartening that I can't manage to keep a couple of fish in a tank without them dying within a week. It shouldn't be this hard!

It really has made me feel like packing it in and has almost put me off going the 60l route.

Hi, don't get disheartened!

Guppies can be hard to keep as they have been in bred a lot and they tend have poor genetics. It is very possible that the shop that you got them from might have used a not so great wholesaler.

Saying that there might be something up with your you water/tank. So keep at it and don't give up...it's such a rewarding hobby

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

What do you suggest to do with the tank. I've just left it running since all the fish died a couple of weeks ago.
    Anything worth checking with the tank etc?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kar_M

Ok we can do this!

Check list:
    Heater on set to 25oC (plugged in constantly, 25oC is a general good temp for most tropical fish)
    Filter on (plugged in constantly)
    Airstone and air pump on (plugged in constantly)
    Lights set to come on for 6/8 hours a day (not needed for fish but lets get things off on the right foot)
    API test kit
    Tap water treatment

Did the dead fish have any spots or fuffy bits?

Can you test now and show us your ammonia,nitrite and nitrate readings (make sure you shake the api bottles ALOT before use).Leave a pic if you can.

Can you post a pic of the sponges etc inside your filter?

Do you have a thermometer, even though the heater is set st a certain temp that water might not actually be at that temp.

The one other thing to be considered is your water hardness. If your local fish shop does that test, it might be no harm. But in general do you have hard of soft water? Is your tap connected to a water softener?

Go though that list and lets see where we are:)

Advertisement