Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can not get van insurance

Options
  • 31-03-2017 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Ok,to cut a long story short, was driving vans for a couple of companies and in 2000 took a job that was only around the corner from me and I didn't need to drive so I stopped driving.
    Worked at that job up to 2014 until I was let go,now after three years on the dole I've decided to go self employed and register with the tax man as a sole trader,so now need to get back on the road and I know my licence is gone so have to start as a learner driver again so done theory test,got provisional and got named driver on the wife's car.
    Decided to get a small van,04 caddy and want to get my own insurance on it,knew it be saucy but no insurance company will give me cover or just quote €4500/5000 which is well out of my reach.
    Any work arounds I could try,

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why is your "license gone"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Why is your "license gone"?

If it's expired more than 4 years (open to correction on the exact lineage, maybe it's 6 years) then he has to start again from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

Per the RSA website, if a license is expired for more than 10 years then the driver has to start from scratch.

The age of the van will go against you when insuring it. Also, as you were only a named driver on your wife's policy that won't count for much towards potential reductions.

The only way around this would be do pay the insurance my monthly direct debits (making it a bit more affordable) and by sitting your driving test as soon as possible in order to regain a full license. Then hopefully the insurance company will reduce the cost of your insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

Just as an aside, what is the occupation that the van will be used in relation to?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭aziz

Yeah I haven't drove in 17 years and was told by the rsa that if the licence is out of date by 5 years that it is now void.a change of job to marine engineering means that I need to start driving again.
    More than likely will just sell the van now and get a small car and do the test ASAP and build my some no claims bonus and hopefully get something sorted next year.
    But I know what will happen then,probably look for 3 years ncb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

ace_irl wrote: »
    Per the RSA website, if a license is expired for more than 10 years then the driver has to start from scratch.

The age of the van will go against you when insuring it. Also, as you were only a named driver on your wife's policy that won't count for much towards potential reductions.

We had reverse situation - my wife was named driver on my policy... It was recognised no problem (the issue was to get the letters from all the insurers over the years) and accounted as 6 years NCB.

Advertisement