Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord insisting on changing from Bank Transfer to collecting rent.

Options
  • 31-03-2017 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Been in my house for four years. Rent always paid by standing order. Never missed a payment. No problems there.

Lease about to be renewed. Landlord now wants to call over every month and collect "cash or cheque."

I really don't want the hassle of this but I'm presuming if he puts his foot down there's nothing I can do about it and will have to comply.

I have no notion why they'd suddenly want to change to a method that's more hassle for him but there you go.

Is there anything I can do to maintain payment as is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BackforFPL

Patww79 wrote: »

How does it work as a tax move though?

I'll be paying by cheque as there's no way I'm keeping that much cash in the house. Can you still cash cheques easily? I thought you had to lodge them these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Pay by cheque and make it account payee only.

First time he calls around I'll also make sure I'm called away at the last minute on urgent business, just before he is due to arrive.
    If he has a problem, go back to DD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Tax move. But yeah, the way things are you may comply.

Yep, take up his offer to pay by cheque, see what happens.

Donal55 wrote: »
    Yep, take up his offer to pay by cheque, see what happens.

Hope I can still find one of my old cheque books!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I'd pay by cheque only in this scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If he's financially stressed keeping transactions out of his bank account is a good way to hide funds from the bank.

Watch out for mail to him arriving at your door, sure sign he's pretending he lives there now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Could it be possible LL has received a complaint about you and he's using it to check up on the place for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Cheques??? Welcome to the 1970's ... I don't even have a cheque book any more, and what's more they're going to start phasing them out by late 2018.

pilly wrote: »
    Could it be possible LL has received a complaint about you and he's using it to check up on the place for a while?

Highly doubt that. Absolutely zero reason for any neighbour to complain about us. House is kept well.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Cheques??? Welcome to the 1970's ... I don't even have a cheque book any more, and what's more they're going to start phasing them out by late 2018.

I know. But rather that than keeping large amounts of cash in the house on a regular basis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

BackforFPL wrote:
    Highly doubt that. Absolutely zero reason for any neighbour to complain about us. House is kept well.

Okay, must be under pressure money wise so. But you're right it's not very easy to cash cheques now. Unless he knows someone who will do it for him.

Not much you can do really though.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

BackforFPL wrote: »
    I know. But rather that than keeping large amounts of cash in the house on a regular basis.
    Take the cash out one hour before he arrives, then you dont need to have cash lying around.

Hope I can still find one of my old cheque books!
    Cheque books go out of date too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

James 007 wrote:
    Take the cash out one hour before he arrives, then you dont need to have cash lying around.

Screw that. Why go to that effort at all when standing orders work so well for both parties?

James 007 wrote: »

Not a viable option. I'm not even happy walking from my bank to my car with that much cash just to facilitate someone else pulling a scam.

Basically he's not getting cash from me.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong there. Unless they're in punts I think I'm fine.

rawn wrote: »
    Screw that. Why go to that effort at all when standing orders work so well for both parties?

Exactly.

I cannot think of one reason that he's insisting on this change that doesn't involve him pulling some manner of tax scam.

I'll video myself handing the cheque to him every month if I have to!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

James 007 wrote: »

Cheques,once written go out of date.Not chequebooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I was in the same boat before and it was landed on me the day we signed

I had 3 major issues with it and I'd never do it again

1) I could only widthdraw €700 cash per day meaning had to do it over 2 days

2) I had to wait around when the landlord said he was calling. He wasn't great at it, he'd send me a text at 1 or 2 saying he'd drop around in the evening

3) I'm going for a mortgage now and I would have a hard time showing the bank proof that I was paying rent. I literally could have been spending that money on anything

If your been paying DD all along just tell him that you're not stopping now. If you're a good tenant he won't want to upset you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

I'd also refuse cash payments as at least with cheques, payable to him, you have a paper trail. If he asks for cheques payable to cash, refuse. Also cheques cost you more with stamp duty, albeit a few cent each.

Just give him cash and never mind messing with cheques. Never understood this fear of carrying cash, it's never bothered me in the slightest.

That being said I don't understand why he is happy with cheques but not a standing order. If he insisted on cash it would make sense as it has advantages but not really cheques unless it's purely to check up on the house regularly.

As for cashing cheques, some local business that know you will still cash cheques especially if you are a good customer (local pubs being one I've seen do it). But it usually wouldn't be for rent sized sums of money.

Just give him cash and never mind messing with cheques.

Nah. I won't do that.
    Never understood this fear of carrying cash, it's never bothered me in the slightest.

Good for you. I'm not happy having that much cash in the house once a month. If I get burgled at the moment all I lose is my laptop and whatever's in my wallet not a whole month's rent.

Why should I take risks with my money just because my landlord is trying run some scheme to avoid tax or whatever?

And then's there the money trail. There's mortgage applications in my near future. It's hugely inconvenient for me if I can't prove that the money is for rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 justinmg1

Hi op, there has been alot of what to do etc. Something that strikes me is a simple question. You have been in the property for 4 years. How has your relationship been with you LL? If indeed they may be in financial strife they may feel embarrassed confessing this to you. In relation to rent, although it may be an issue with cash have you thought about asking them (on your terms) if you pay cash you want a signed receipt from them, if by cheque the same. It is your paper trail no different by bank transfer. Ultimately if you have a good relationship with them thus far.....

Edit: I should have mentioned. They are on the back foot when it comes to payments as they want to change the arrangement. You are in control to set a time and date that suits you. Remember that. If the miss it , not your problem....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Just give him cash and never mind messing with cheques. Never understood this fear of carrying cash, it's never bothered me in the slightest.

You think that heading off to an ATM two days on a row to get cash is not messing compared to the twenty seconds it takes to write a cheque?

A tad flippant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

It sounds like he is in trouble with his bank or his wife. The rent cheques can be lodged or cashed elsewhere. He obviously does not mind getting cheques and paying the tax but doesn't want his bank or his wife to know about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

What does your lease say about methods of paying the rent OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

He probably has to give you a rent book of paying by cash.

As others have said - you went have a record for the mortgage.

I'd say no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Been in my house for four years. Rent always paid by direct debit. Never missed a payment. No problems there.

Lease about to be renewed. Landlord now wants to call over every month and collect "cash or cheque."

I really don't want the hassle of this but I'm presuming if he puts his foot down there's nothing I can do about it and will have to comply.

I have no notion why they'd suddenly want to change to a method that's more hassle for him but there you go.

Is there anything I can do to maintain payment as is?

Refuse and say that it will be a problem for you to change.

You pay rent to stay in their place. Your obligation is to get money into the landlord's account, not how you get it into the account.

Direct Debit is the only suitable method that you are comfortable with (tell them you don't own a chequebook, aren't comfortable with having to stock cash in the house, and also cannot guarantee you will always be in the house on collection day - maybe work commitments, or away on holidays.. additionally Direct Debits give you a clear record of your spending on rent)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement