Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord insisting on changing from Bank Transfer to collecting rent.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

What everyone is missing here is OP is at 4 years there. LL could terminate the lease so I'd be threading carefully.

He probably has to give you a rent book of paying by cash.

As others have said - you went have a record for the mortgage.

I'd say no.

He can't say no he is obliged to pay the LL by the method the LL chooses.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think a family difference is the best logical conclusion of what the LL problem is.
    Reciept and pay by cheque IMO.
    When cheques stop being used is an issue down the road and you may have moved on by then. Just solve the problem in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BackforFPL

Here's a question - If I sign the lease and the lease does not specify method of payment then is it grounds for eviction if I refuse to pay in cash and continue to pay by direct debit?

Surely you'd have a hard time throwing somebody out who's paying their rent.

Water John wrote: »
    I think a family difference is the best logical conclusion of what the LL problem is.
    Reciept and pay by cheque IMO.
    When cheques stop being used is an issue down the road and you may have moved on by then. Just solve the problem in front of you.

Cheque is something that will probably be the solution. My issue is though that it will damage my application for a mortgage. I'm aware that is not my landlord's problem but I'm trying to figure out the best option for me here and whatever scheme he's up to is not my problem either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

No it should not. You will be handing in records of you bank accounts. Tab each monthly payment for your rent.

Alternative is have a second current account that is also your savings account for your house deposit. Put in both the rent and savings into the account each month and the ONLY cheque paid out of this, is your rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Is there some legislation that the landlord must provide a rent book? Probably not necessary with DDs but if it's a cheque, OP could insist on one.

Also just to point out nobody pays their rent with a direct debit it's a standing order that is used to transfer rent from your account to the LLs account.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

The bit that would annoy me is the LL thinking he can call around every month without interfering with your right to peaceful enjoyment of your home.
    Tell him that you'll post the cheque to him and make it payable his account only.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

How are you determining this?
    LL cannot evict based on payment method.

• Advertisement

Also just to point out nobody pays their rent with a direct debit it's a standing order that is used to transfer rent from your account to the LLs account.

You're right of course. I'm pretty sure everyone got what I meant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WICKL0W

I presume rent is decent enough and you like the place.

If he wanted to get rid of you he could because of impending new lease ? Could it be anything to do with Part 4 tenancy ?

See here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html

Also set up another bank account where you pay the cheque out of by first transferring the rent by Internet banking with the same narrative as is currently there to show continuation of rent been paid for a mortgage lender.

Make sure you get a receipt too every time no excuse.

If is starts to get out of hand you could always lodge something into his bank account, a euro even, with narrative, "Joe paid rent" or a series of lodgements with narrative, "tax avoidance" etc !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

WICKL0W wrote:
    If he wanted to get rid of you he could because of impending new lease ? Could it be anything to do with Part 4 tenancy ?

Why would he want to evict a tenant that pays on time every month, keeps the place well and doesn't bother him? He would be foolish to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WICKL0W

rawn wrote: »
    Why would he want to evict a tenant that pays on time every month, keeps the place well and doesn't bother him? He would be foolish to do this.

To Get a new tenant to pay higher rent. It Is a landlords market otherwise you would be telling him that you are continuing to pay by standing order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Take a copy of the Cheque for your records. Your bank statement will show it being cashed by the LL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

rawn wrote: »

Trying to obscure the level of rent when a new tenant comes?
    The o/p should wring some concessions from the LL and pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

LL can't require cash or cheque only.
    No recourse to evict if OP continues with DD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I'd ask why the landlord suddenly requires cash?

Its obvious he wants the cheque made out to cash too. I'd explain to him you'll be looking for a rent book to be signed if this goes ahead. That might snap him out of thinking he's going to keep this income under the table.

BackforFPL wrote: »
    You're right of course. I'm pretty sure everyone got what I meant though.

I was just pointing it out as a few others used the same term and it may confuse someone reading the thread in future who doesn't understand the difference between an SO and a DD and the different situations where one is used over the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Pkiernan wrote: »
    LL can't require cash or cheque only.
    No recourse to evict if OP continues with DD.

Lease about to be renewed...LL can just say im not renewing your lease...Doesn't have to give a reason.... Tenant is out the door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Really? So if the landlord requested a wheelbarrow of coppers he would be "obliged" to pay in this method?

Sounds like nonsense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

Insist on a rent book after you've sorted the new lease

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/rent_books.html

"If you have been renting for at least 6 months and haven't been served with a valid written notice of termination, in general you automatically acquire security of tenure and can stay in the property for up to 4 years. This security of tenure continues in in 4-year cycles."

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html#lef263

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Lease about to be renewed...LL can just say im not renewing your lease...Doesn't have to give a reason.... Tenant is out the door

Lease not renewed, a month to month tenancy starts, tenant stays there.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Really? So if the landlord requested a wheelbarrow of coppers he would be "obliged" to pay in this method?

Sounds like nonsense to me.

Any reasonable method. Plenty of shops refuse credit/debit cards for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Could be the owner is in distress and the bank is moving to repossession. In this instance extracting rent as cash provides the landlord with money hidden from the bank. If he wanted you out he could evict you anyway.

I would stick with DD. Cash is a massive hassle and i would imagine your ll will refuse to provide a receipt or provide any paper trail.

You have a right to peace and enjoyment which physical rent collection disturbs.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Lease not renewed, a month to month tenancy starts, tenant stays there.

Not workable in any shape or form for the tenant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Any reasonable method. Plenty of shops refuse credit/debit cards for example.

Strange comparison considering a commercial shop and a residential tenancy would be covered under entirely different laws. Can you explain what you are getting at here?

A shop can provide goods to a customer if it wishes to do so. It can refuse all forms of payment (including cash) if it wanted to. Tenants are protected by tenancy laws which oblige the landlord to provide the goods (property) unless a legal eviction takes place.

I'm not seeing a comparison?

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Strange comparison considering a commercial shop and a residential tenancy would be covered under entirely different laws. Can you explain what you are getting at here?

A shop can provide goods to a customer if it wishes to do so. It can refuse all forms of payment (including cash) if it wanted to. Tenants are protected by tenancy laws which oblige the landlord to provide the goods (property) unless a legal eviction takes place.

I'm not seeing a comparison?

The lease is up for renewal.
    The landlord wishes to be paid in cash.
    Tenant doesn't comply, lease not renewed.
    No eviction needed
    Quite simple there isn't it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Not workable in any shape or form for the tenant

Would the tenant not be on Part 4 at this stage?

• Advertisement

Achasanai wrote: »
    Would the tenant not be on Part 4 at this stage?

But a landlord can terminate a tenancy at any time as long as they follow procedure

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement