Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord insisting on changing from Bank Transfer to collecting rent.

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Achasanai wrote: »
    Would the tenant not be on Part 4 at this stage?

4 year Part 4 term is up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Patww79 wrote: »
    Do a cheque. Just make sure and get a receipt from him too no matter what way you pay. Don't want him coming back in 6 months saying you didn't pay him a thing (which, though unlikely, could be what he's at too).

Easons sell rent books.

Lantus wrote: »
    Could be the owner is in distress and the bank is moving to repossession. In this instance extracting rent as cash provides the landlord with money hidden from the bank. If he wanted you out he could evict you anyway.

I would stick with DD. Cash is a massive hassle and i would imagine your ll will refuse to provide a receipt or provide any paper trail.

You have a right to peace and enjoyment which physical rent collection disturbs.

A visit once a month visit could in no way be considered to disturb peaceful enjoyment. I did it for years where the LL called for cash and it never in anyway disturbed me nor did I think it was hassle. 3 out of the 4 places I've rented has been cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I'd give him six post dated cheques. That way he only has to call around once every six months.

In the unlikely event of a problem you can always cancel the remaining cheques

• Registered Users Posts: 29,019 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Take a copy of the Cheque for your records. Your bank statement will show it being cashed by the LL.
    Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

While I'd probably ask for a receipt just to make a point, you don't really need it. If there is any query, you can get a copy of the processed cheque from your own bank showing who it was payable to and exactly where the money went.

I'd ask why the landlord suddenly requires cash?

Its obvious he wants the cheque made out to cash too. I'd explain to him you'll be looking for a rent book to be signed if this goes ahead. That might snap him out of thinking he's going to keep this income under the table.
    It would be remarkably foolish for him to think he can switch it from being over the table to under the table for same tenant, same property.
    Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Really? So if the landlord requested a wheelbarrow of coppers he would be "obliged" to pay in this method?
    I recall there being something in law about a maximum of 50 items being 'reasonable' - so no more than 50 x 1c coins or 50 x €5 notes or whatever.
    Cloudio9 wrote: »
    I'd give him six post dated cheques. That way he only has to call around once every six months.

In the unlikely event of a problem you can always cancel the remaining cheques
    Great idea, and possibly the best solution - though not everyone has a cheque book these days. I haven't had one for 2 or 3 years, since Danske Bank closed down.

OP - Was the tenancy registered with PRTB? Are you paying by direct debit or standing order? It would be very unusual for a landlord to be able to 'pull' a variable amount from your bank account - that's what a direct debit is. If you are 'pushing' a fixed amount each month from your account to him, that's a standing order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BackforFPL

It would be remarkably foolish for him to think he can switch it from being over the table to under the table for same tenant, same property.

This is what I can't figure out. Been happily paying by Standing Order for years and now he wants to get cash or cheque. I can't think of a legit reason why someone would do this.
    Great idea, and possibly the best solution - though not everyone has a cheque book these days. I haven't had one for 2 or 3 years, since Danske Bank closed down.

Don't have one but I'll open a new account and pay out of that by cheque if necessary so it's clear that it was rent when I proceed with a mortgage application.
    OP - Was the tenancy registered with PRTB?

Yup. It's registered which is why I'm confused as to what he's trying to pull.

He could be planning to say he's moved back into the house himself. I'm sure I'll see if there's suddenly loads of letters for him arriving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

BackforFPL wrote: »
    This is what I can't figure out. Been happily paying by Standing Order for years and now he wants to get cash or cheque. I can't think of a legit reason why someone would do this.

Don't have one but I'll open a new account and pay out of that by cheque if necessary so it's clear that it was rent when I proceed with a mortgage application.

Yup. It's registered which is why I'm confused as to what he's trying to pull.

He could be planning to say he's moved back into the house himself. I'm sure I'll see if there's suddenly loads of letters for him arriving.

Genuine question...Did you ask him why?
    If you have a good relationship he might tell you, it'll put your mind at ease too .
    Get a Threshold rent book though, just to keep track of any future payments

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Genuine question...Did you ask him why?
    If you have a good relationship he might tell you, it'll put your mind at ease too .

He gave a vague "suit my financial needs" answer. It was a quick call though. Will be talking more to him once I get the lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

He gave a vague "suit my financial needs" answer. It was a quick call though. Will be talking more to him once I get the lease.

In other words, he's financially fecked

• Registered Users Posts: 29,019 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Thanks for clarifications. It's not trivial to open a new account, even with your own bank/branch. There will certainly be some fees involved. Though not huge, you should bring this into the discussion with him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Thanks for clarifications. It's not trivial to open a new account, even with your own bank/branch. There will certainly be some fees involved. Though not huge, you should bring this into the discussion with him.

You can open a new bank account online with your own bank but yes there will be charges and a charge for the chequebook and each cheque.

All sorted. He agreed payment via bank transfer was easiest.

Not a clue what he was thinking.

Thanks for the advice folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

BackforFPL wrote:
    I'll video myself handing the cheque to him every month if I have to!

You just ask him for a receipt everytime you make a payment by cash or cheque . Your records would show a cheque cashed every month anyways . It's his or business about what way they want the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Exactly.

I cannot think of one reason that he's insisting on this change that doesn't involve him pulling some manner of tax scam.

I think you're giving too much credit using the word scam
    He's just gonna under declare or not declare it to revenue.... or else he's hiding from thefinancial institution with whom he has the mortgage.

I'd be wary. Revenue or the bank will catch up eventually with probable implications for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I'd ask why the landlord suddenly requires cash?
    le.

Why? What's the ll gonna say? I'm on the fiddle!

Either op says they're sticking to dd or plays the game with the ll

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Patww79 wrote:

It could be anything. Possibly seperating or divorce & trying to hide it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

All sorted as per OP. Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement