Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League trying to fight streaming, can the war be won?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Any real links showing how two teams from small cities with no real recent history of note, have a bigger fanbase than the sole team who comes from the 3rd biggest city in England, who have drawn fans from all ages and locations due to their success in several different era's over the last few decades? Yes, they got promoted, so did Burnley. Burnley still aren't bigger than Leeds. When was the last Soton or Wolves jersey you seen around Ireland? Where is this mythical support coming from?

https://www.footballgroundmap.com/stats/teams

Would you suppose you link carries more weight than mine?

Keep moving the goalposts please, move to just inside Leeds as for biggest clubs. As for jerseys last time I seen a Leeds one about 20 years ago, both wolves and Southampton last ten years. They still aren't a big club. If they are the only club in the 3rd biggest city in England and they have been so unsuccessful in the last 20 years. Where are the fans?

Jayop wrote: »
    Honestly start a thread about whether leeds are a big club or not because this thread isn't about them.

I'd say if you started a thread and found it struggled to get more than three people posting in it you would get your answer.

Trust me I want to stop but some people are blind to facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Vodafone offer a legit IP TV service, as do Eir.

But price wise there is not a huge difference between it and Sky.

If anyone is looking for all sports etc at a cheap price legally they are not going to get it.

This is my issue, I just want to watch my team, I don't​ bother with watching other teams at all...

If there was a flat fee on the website to just watch Liverpool games I gladly would pay it

I do if there is a charity match on so I don't see why they can't televise all the matches as my money would go directly to the club..

Paying 40 a month or whatever it is to watch Sky doesn't bear thinking about for value for money for me personally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Some of the Sky Sports channels gone of the Zgemma boxes over night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Balls! Will have to check my Skybox when I get home so, I'd say I'm in the same boat!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

JamboMac wrote: »
    Keep moving the goalposts please, move to just inside Leeds as for biggest clubs. As for jerseys last time I seen a Leeds one about 20 years ago, both wolves and Southampton last ten years. They still aren't a big club. If they are the only club in the 3rd biggest city in England and they have been so unsuccessful in the last 20 years. Where are the fans?

In Leeds and the surrounding area.

Some of the Sky Sports channels gone of the Zgemma boxes over night
    astradave wrote: »
    Balls! Will have to check my Skybox when I get home so, I'd say I'm in the same boat!

Doesn't matter which box you have, mine is an amiko and they are gone aswell server was in spain. By the end of the season everything will be gone maybe before.

Still have SS1 for the Derby thursday night. Hope it doesn't go before then.

Sky changing encryption on certain transponders. Will make its way to all transponders eventually

God-dammit, that's €7 I won't get back :D

My sub is due for renewal at the end of may. at least the blackout started before I paid another 50 euro

• Advertisement

My sub is due for renewal at the end of may. at least the blackout started before I paid another 50 euro

50 Eurofor a year? I got mine on Ali express for 7euro, 4 line. It's been down once for about 5/6 hours but I got a message saying that there would be scheduled maintenance on the server beforehand. Have it about 10 months now so, think it's up the end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Lofty123

+1, we had a good run. I paid Sky €100's over the years until the packages became extortionate. Bought a Freesat+ box so i can pause/record the UK channels and an openbox for football. I await the next tech genius who can circumvent encryption. :)

Just renewed mine for €11 for three months. Supplier recommended this as some channels were going. I'm sure I'll get €11 worth before they all go. I would pay that to watch Thursday's Manchester derby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Fieldog wrote: »
    This is my issue, I just want to watch my team, I don't​ bother with watching other teams at all...

If there was a flat fee on the website to just watch Liverpool games I gladly would pay it

I do if there is a charity match on so I don't see why they can't televise all the matches as my money would go directly to the club..

Paying 40 a month or whatever it is to watch Sky doesn't bear thinking about for value for money for me personally

That can't happen unless you go towards the old Spanish route of teams having individual TV deals.

The rights for top teams will always be more valuable an thus more expensive.

So the model of a collective agreement and everyone getting a certain of air time is no longer viable.

All the large clubs already have their own channel so ultimately they could do a pay for their own service thing. But would this not create a big gap between big and small clubs. Like if united, chelsea and liverpool etc, charged a fiver a month they would make more, but some clubs would make nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'd be a bit miffed if I got my dodgy box recently but I have it a couple of years and have saved hundreds and hundreds of euros so if it goes I'll have considered it a good deal that's just run it's course. Will get myself sorted with Kodi, but the sat box was just so much more convenient.

One thing for damn sure, unless Sky cut their bills at least by half I'll never ever give them another cent of my money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Jayop wrote: »
    I'd be a bit miffed if I got my dodgy box recently but I have it a couple of years and have saved hundreds and hundreds of euros so if it goes I'll have considered it a good deal that's just run it's course. Will get myself sorted with Kodi, but the sat box was just so much more convenient.

One thing for damn sure, unless Sky cut their bills at least by half I'll never ever give them another cent of my money.

What box is it?
    It'll work for FTA if they all go anyway but can probably put a IPTV sub on it too.

Did a sat search on the Skybox there and found a working sky sports 2. No sign of a 4 or 5 working

I also see Box office is gone just in time for the weekend fs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

This is the b*llocks that killed it. Sh*tty zGemma boxes being sold with year lines costing €7. Sky didn't give enough of a damn to do anything for years until this started recently. When you've got amateur cowboys selling boxes openly on ebay to make a quick buck their hand was forced. CS became a thing for the regular joe and their granny down the road.
    Similar thing happened to Kodi. It's gone to the dogs now.

A guy involved in trying to find a fix has already abandoned the project and claimed to have been doxed. Obviously made that up because he couldn't admit they are in over their head and can't crack it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Did a sat search on the Skybox there and found a working sky sports 2. No sign of a 4 or 5 working

I also see Box office is gone just in time for the weekend fs

Box Office was gone since the end of March.

• Advertisement

Oat23 wrote: »
    This is the b*llocks that killed it. Sh*tty zGemma boxes being sold with year lines costing €7. Sky didn't give enough of a damn to do anything for years until this started recently. When you've got amateur cowboys selling boxes openly on ebay to make a quick buck their hand was forced. CS became a thing for the regular joe and their granny down the road.
    Similar thing happened to Kodi. It's gone to the dogs now.

A guy involved in trying to find a fix has already abandoned the project and claimed to have been doxed. Obviously made that up because he couldn't admit they are in over their head and can't crack it.

Us ordinary folk that "killed it" should have left it to the nerds and their tech savvy buddies in their own little world. My apologies for contributing to it's demise :rolleyes:

Lofty123 wrote: »
    Us ordinary folk that "killed it" should have left it to the nerds and their tech savvy buddies in their own little world. My apologies for contributing to it's demise :rolleyes:

You are forgiven!
    I don't have a problem with the people buying it. You go onto ebay and see someone selling a box letting that will get you every Sky channel for only €100 and then a tenner per year after.. anyone is going to jump at it. It's the ones selling it I have a problem with. Some gimps do be selling them out of their shops and advertising them on the front windows. How stupid can you be? I hope they all get jail time.

The only channel I used was RTE 2 for LOI highlights so I am not losing much.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    What box is it?
    It'll work for FTA if they all go anyway but can probably put a IPTV sub on it too.

It's a little cheapy Amiko Mini Combo. I'll still get my BBC and that, but no RTE or IPTV afaik. I don't have an aerial but tbh I don't watch anything on RTE other than the GAA in the summer so I'm not going to miss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He wasn't attacking you, he was attacking those looking to make a quick buck selling it so cheaply. Learn to read ffs.

Those fools selling it at that price openly on big sites like Ebay and Alli Express are the ones that made it too mainstream and forced Sky to do something about it.

eagle eye wrote: »
    He wasn't attacking you, he was attacking those looking to make a quick buck selling it so cheaply. Learn to read ffs.

Those fools selling it at that price openly on big sites like Ebay and Alli Express are the ones that made it too mainstream and forced Sky to do something about it.

If people like me didn't buy from ebay etc, there wasn't a quick buck to be made, so of course he was attacking me. Perhaps you feel it should have remained your little secret?

BTW, love the irony of someone with your username telling me to learn to read :)

If people like me didn't buy from ebay etc, there wasn't a quick buck to be made, so of course he was attacking me. Perhaps you feel it should have remained your little secret?

BTW, love the irony of someone with your username telling me to learn to read :)

The sellers were the ones to bring it into the mainstream and make it easily accessible to all. Nobody told them to list it on ebay. They are the ones to blame.

Sure, more sellers came along when they seen people were buying. Still the sellers who are to blame though, not the customer.

Also, Sky themselves played a role. The constant price increases priced a lot of people out of the service. My elderly neighbor had to get rid of Sky as he couldn't afford it on a pension anymore. He went into town and bought a box from a shop. They came over and set it up for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The sellers were the ones to bring it into the mainstream and make it easily accessible to all. Nobody told them to list it on ebay. They are the ones to blame.

Sure, more sellers came along when they seen people were buying. Still the sellers who are to blame though, not the customer.

I was in a well know Australian owned electronics retailer a few years back looking at TVs and overheard the sales kid tell another customer "you can plung in a think called an Android box to it and get all the sports and everything for free"

Also, Sky themselves played a role. The constant price increases priced a lot of people out of the service. My elderly neighbor had to get rid of Sky as he couldn't afford it on a pension anymore. He went into town and bought a box from a shop. They came over and set it up for him.

What exactly is your point? What do you mean by mainstream? Sellers on ebay ruined everything by making it accessible to the masses instead of a select few? Capitalism in action surely?

Sorry Oat23, just realised I slagged off the wrong poster! you took less offence to my original reply to you than "eagle eye" did. I took exception to his comment "learn to read ffs"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Who Cares who's fault it is the big question is ....Will they be able to sort a workaround or is it well and truely ****ed

• Advertisement

Who Cares who's fault it is the big question is ....Will they be able to sort a workaround or is it well and truely ****ed

If they do it will cost considerably more, this happened before with the dodgy boxes that worked with the cable TV. The main issue was everybody got involved and everybody was a middleman trying to make money. Loose lips sink ships and their where too many loose lips. Wouldn't blame the ebay sellers specifically as they've been there for ages.

What exactly is your point? What do you mean by mainstream? Sellers on ebay ruined everything by making it accessible to the masses instead of a select few? Capitalism in action surely?

It was always available to everyone if they knew where to look and weren't completely stupid. The community has always been there and been open, you just had to set it up yourself. It was never closed off to a select few 'nerds'.

Then some mouth breather came along and found it. Set up his box using everything available in the community, the free guides, free images, he set up the EPG using free plugins and installed free skins. And instead of saying "wow, I'm saving a nice bit on Sky here!" he thought "How can I exploit this to make a bit of money?".

Chancers are what they are. They are doing the same thing with Kodi. They take a sh*te made-in-China Android box. Add kodi. Install a FREE BUILD and then sell it for 4 times the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

There is 24 hour access ?
    is available internationally ?

edit just checked not available outside the UK ... pity ..

Just seen the prices for Now TV in Ireland what a joke.

Entertainment pass at €15 a month for £15 I can get 3 months.

Monthly sports pass is €50 while £34 here. I wonder if the code format is the same and people can buy UK passes for Ireland

Just seen the prices for Now TV in Ireland what a joke.

Entertainment pass at €15 a month for £15 I can get 3 months.

Monthly sports pass is €50 while £34 here. I wonder if the code format is the same and people can buy UK passes for Ireland

it would check the ip address i'm guessing and see your not in the uk. Do you need a specific box for this, as you can always IP spoof.

JamboMac wrote: »
    it would check the ip address i'm guessing and see your not in the uk. Do you need a specific box for this, as you can always IP spoof.

You can get a box, but it is also and app and website and would be on most smart tvs and on both PS4 and Xbox One

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The football league have launched an "I-Follow" system, where people outside of the UK and Ireland can subscribe to watch their own team

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/39797400

This also gets me thinking in regard to Brexit. Will the Premier League still be able group their TV rights with the UK and Ireland?

• Advertisement

The football league have launched an "I-Follow" system, where people outside of the UK and Ireland can subscribe to watch their own team

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/39797400

This also gets me thinking in regard to Brexit. Will the Premier League still be able group their TV rights with the UK and Ireland?

I'd buy that....

If it's available at all it'll be available here by means.

Proper order.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    If it's available at all it'll be available here by means.

Proper order.

I'd say it's more aimed at expats who can't get Sky, I'm sure they have the TV rights for the next year anyway...

I'm sure a VPN can get around it anyway

2 points.

1) It's football league so no premier league games

and

2) They won't show games that are already being televised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Modbro is an undercover prototype for a pay-as-you-go streaming service I am convinced

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

garra wrote:
    Modbro is an undercover prototype for a pay-as-you-go streaming service I am convinced

I hope not. It's shìt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They doing a damn good job reducing quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The dark day has arrived

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

KevIRL wrote:
    The dark day has arrived

Ireland hit badly this time! But yeah, this transponder is the biggest one yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭bren2001

Ireland hit badly this time! But yeah, this transponder is the biggest one yet.

what's gone this time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

bren2001 wrote: »
    what's gone this time?

All sky sports channels. One movie channel. Few kids. Rte etc also

All of these gone overnight

Sky Sports 1 UK
    Sky Sports 2 IRL
    sky Sports 3 UK
    Sky F1
    Sky 1 UK
    sky 1 +1 UK
    FOX
    Comedy Central UK
    Cartoonito
    Nickelodeon
    Nickelodeon +1
    Nicktoons
    Nick Jr
    Sky Matt Damon
    Sky Arts
    RTE 1 IRL
    RTE 1 +1 IRL
    RTE 2 IRL
    TV3 IRL
    TG4 IRL
    Oireachtas TV IRL
    RTE Jr IRL
    RTE News Now IRL

Ha pay for your viewing legally and you don't have to worry about this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

installed free skins.

Really where taking the piss when they came up with the Sky skin, it would have been at that point I would imagine Sky said that this needs to stop.

Ha pay for your viewing legally and you don't have to worry about this

Wow such insight.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement