Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League trying to fight streaming, can the war be won?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

8If I had known last night would be the last time I'd have savoured it a bit more. Treated it a little more special...

Goodbye RTE2 cs. You have been good to me over the years. Never froze as I was recording important LOI games and were in beautiful high definition long after the others went dark.

RIP baby
    SNE1024B-620_1651822a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

RTE 1 IRL
    RTE 1 +1 IRL
    RTE 2 IRL
    TG4 IRL
    Oireachtas TV IRL
    RTE Jr IRL
    RTE News Now IRL
    Ha pay for your viewing legally and you don't have to worry about this

The above should be free to air on Sky, and should not be sitting behind a pay wall IMO, it's well and truly paid for via the licence fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Jayop wrote: »
    Wow such insight.

I have no sympathy for people who have forked out money for something illegal, when others are paying to get it the legal way.

Sky/BT is a luxury item if you are unable to afford it legal should not be looking for ways around it.

I have BT TV and will look for other means to find Liverpool games not on TV in Ireland.

The advent of Now TV has also been good.

I will look at the monthly fixture list and if Liverpool are on Sky a few times I will get the monthly pass, if not I will go to the pub and watch those games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

TallGlass wrote: »
    The above should be free to air on Sky, and should not be sitting behind a pay wall IMO, it's well and truly paid for via the licence fee.

They are free to air I pick them up via my aerial in Derry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

No one is moaning about it here. We all had a good run and now it's to an end.

However if you've ever once streamed a game for any reason (which you have if you're going to be honest) then you're no better than anyone with a dream box.

If it's gone then it's gone. I'll lose no sleep over it. I'll certainly not be giving those rip off merchants sky any of my money. I did so for years and never again.

• The patron saint of TV^^

I have no sympathy for people who have forked out money for something illegal, when others are paying to get it the legal way.

Sky/BT is a luxury item if you are unable to afford it legal should not be looking for ways around it.

I have BT TV and will look for other means to find Liverpool games not on TV in Ireland.

The advent of Now TV has also been good.

I will look at the monthly fixture list and if Liverpool are on Sky a few times I will get the monthly pass, if not I will go to the pub and watch those games

Nobody wants sympathy! Everyone knew it could go. Most people have been using it for years and saved thousands. It had a good run.

Honestly don't think anyone's going to lose sleep over it. Also don't think people will go back to Sky in the masses just cause the closed it down.

They are free to air I pick them up via my aerial in Derry

Exactly, it should be on Sky as free to air, just like the BBC.

• Advertisement

What's gone exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

All of these gone overnight

FOX
    Comedy Central UK
    Cartoonito
    Nickelodeon
    Nickelodeon +1
    Nicktoons
    Nick Jr
    TG4 IRL
    Oireachtas TV IRL
    RTE Jr IRL
    RTE News Now IRL
    Sky Arts
    Sky F1
    Sky 1 UK
    sky 1 +1 UK

giphy.gif
    RTE 1 IRL
    RTE 2 IRL
    TV3 IRL

Supernatural-Dean.gif
    Sky Sports 1 UK
    Sky Sports 2 IRL
    sky Sports 3 UK

giphy.gif
    Sky Matt Damon

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

For Champions League and all the Saorview channels this answer might help some people. SkyGo blocks the domestic channels for me when sport is on generally, even GAA and international matches? So the only free way to get all the domestic channels is from the transmitters (or the RTEplayer or TV3player but that's through online).

If you have a HDtv, check this coverage map.

If you live close to a transmitter then go buy a flat top indoor aerial/antenna like this . It cost me 20 euro in Argos 4 years ago and it gives a perfect picture of all the Saorview channels.

You have to live reasonably close for it to work but it could be the cheapest solution to some of the problem here for people. Every other answer to the problem involves paying Sky an extortionate amount, or paying for an outside aerial installation, and whatever a Saorview box costs, or spending more money and time on some form of internet box, or going with Virgin/Vodaphone.

This a potential 20 euro answer and works for me. :)

*I live less than 1km from a transmitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'd have no problem paying for Sky but you're talking 70-80 euro a month before you even think of BT it's absolutely extortionate that's why people continue to flock to things like card sharing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Feck the irish stations are gone. Looks like Ill have to fix the aerial now. Balls anyway.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

If they gave an option to just purchase the sports channels I'd probably do it legally. I've no interest in paying for hundreds of channels I've no intention of watching, and then pay for sports channels as well.

Saorview and streams will do for me.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Yeah I definitely pay for just the sports channels the other half only watches the free channels anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

I think now tv have something about getting the 5 sports channels for 24 hours but it ain't cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'll pay the bones of €100 per month but I need to be able to watch every game I want to. Some of the games Sky put on are absolutely **** purely because the broadcaster has to show each team a minimum amount of times.

You can just get the new tech and carry on.

JamboMac wrote: »
    You can just get the new tech and carry on.

Yeah iptv is next but it's a far worse solution than what was there.

• Advertisement

Good iptv is fast and clear, you may be paying 4 times what you did a year, but it's still grand. I got one with the box I bought and it works most time, but it's free so in times of high demand would be bad and outside cities would be difficult.

Perfectly fine once you pay a few quid for it a month. People want Sky, but not to fork out 80/100€ PM, I would rather do without it TBH and go the pub.

Another legal option is to use, 'live on sat' and then get yourself a motorised dish and tune it into the free view foreign stations where the game is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Best solution for now is to just go with a cable box instead, get a Virgin subscription and supplement the missing Sky exclusive channels (BT, Atlantic etc.) with an IPTV subscription. Though obviously only works if you're in a cable area.

I'll have to look into iptv. I'm thought it was pretty much like Kodi bit if there's a decent paid for service I'll have a gander. Worst thing is my box doesn't have the facility to do it so I'll need to get another one.

Pre Pay Sim with Vodafone

https://www.vodafone.ie/red-connect/sky-sports?icmp=megadd-offers

Sky Sports Mobile TV Pack 2 - €12.99 a month

Sky Sports 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5, F1, Sky Sports News

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I've been recommended an IPTV provider by the guy I was getting my Sky sub off. They have a plugin for the zgemmas also.

At the moment that's my next option

I've been recommended an IPTV provider by the guy I was getting my Sky sub off. They have a plugin for the zgemmas also.

At the moment that's my next option

Do you own research on it, your man with the sub is more than likely the cause of the card sharing been shut down, IPTV I cannot see lasting past the end of the year.

You can use your computer no need for a box etc..

Do you own research on it, your man with the sub is more than likely the cause of the card sharing been shut down, IPTV I cannot see lasting past the end of the year.

You can use your computer no need for a box etc..

I find it funny how difficult they try and talk up the setting up of the box to connect to the server. Those guys who sell the boxes on done deal etc. Made about 3 times the price of a subscription.

JamboMac wrote: »
    I find it funny how difficult they try and talk up the setting up of the box to connect to the server. Those guys who sell the boxes on done deal etc. Made about 3 times the price of a subscription.

I seen these lads, with there helplines and all sorts of crap, 1 year subs, I wouldn't touch of it with a stick, always keep to 1 or 3 months, you'll find yourself out of pocket quickly, giving them cowboys a 1 year sub.

This was always bound to happen. Illegal IPTV streams will be next, so don't go near a year sub.

I seen these lads, with there helplines and all sorts of crap, 1 year subs, I wouldn't touch of it with a stick, always keep to 1 or 3 months, you'll find yourself out of pocket quickly, giving them cowboys a 1 year sub.

This was always bound to happen. Illegal IPTV streams will be next, so don't go near a year sub.

Never went near them, always went straight to the servers and paid those guys. Always went for a year at a total €20 for 2 boxes couldn't really lose and never had a problem.

• Advertisement

I've a few subs with him for friends and family. He was telling me had about 700 customers as 38 sterling each.

The IPTV provider I'm looking at now is 10 sterling a month or 75 sterling for a year.

I'd get VM if it was in my area but it's not. That costs about 150 euro as they are rare to get

Well, I will imagine he will be changing his number after today anyway.

Cut out the middle man, go straight to the provider, get a test line first.

Well, I will imagine he will be changing his number after today anyway.

Cut out the middle man, go straight to the provider, get a test line first.

He's over in the UK :pac:

The guy selling subs on ebay for cheap are cache servers. They rely on the codes from another server. The ebay guys dont have cards at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Anyone want to pm the iptv they use as I want to test a few b4 I sign up

I think iptv might be harder to tackle as I don't think the channel is encrypted when they send it to your house. They unencrypted at their end and basically stream it to you similar to twitch and them.

If there was a way of getting g dazn here I'd have that immediately.

If there was a way of getting g dazn here I'd have that immediately.

Fake your ip to one of the countries it's available in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

jester77 wrote: »
    A legit service at a fair price will stop the war very quickly, just like how the war on illegal music downloads was won.

Netflix and Spotify prove that if there's a good service people will pay for it

Anyone with access to the internet can download or use streams almost as easily as Netflix, yet so many still sub to Netflix. Even when Irish content is lacking, people wanted to access the US/Canadian Netflix, even when literally everything you could want to watch could be found on piratebay or the likes

Spotify proves it even more because you can get the music for free yet Spotify premium is popular too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Has anyone iptv running on a edison OS box

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I reckon that IPTV would run "flawlessly"

We're signing off the same hymn sheet ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

What channels are currently gone.

What channels are currently gone.

All sky sports and Rte are the main ones people will miss. Especially with the gaa season about to get going.

Living in the sticks with **** broadband so IPTV is probably out ....I'm screwed aren't I :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Living in the sticks with **** broadband so IPTV is probably out ....I'm screwed aren't I :(

What speed is it? 5/6Mb is enough, might get away with less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I was watching Arsenal v Utd in the home of someone who had a paid IPTV service (sportsmania or some other add-on on Kodi, ?50 for 6 months) and 60mb broadband.

It buffered a few times and the picture quality was so so.

Not worth it in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I was watching Arsenal v Utd in the home of someone who had a paid IPTV service (sportsmania or some other add-on on Kodi, ?50 for 6 months) and 60mb broadband.

It buffered a few times and the picture quality was so so.

Not worth it in my opinion.

I'm extremely happy with it, 50 for the year would be more like it if it was sportsmania, depends on your box in my opinoon. I've never had buffering or any issues and watched numerous pay per views.

To be honest if the premier league had an offering of say 100-150 quid for the year for all games then most people would be all over it. The current model with sky and BT is not sustainable in my opinion. These IPTV providers have provided a faultless service to me with more choice than I had previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

However if you've ever once streamed a game for any reason (which you have if you're going to be honest) then you're no better than anyone with a dream box. .

Whats the alternative? Wait for Match of the day I dont think so mate.

How if you have a legit subscription and your tv provider isnt showing your team, what do you do then?

People in America can watch all the live premier league matches and us Irish get fleeced big time by Sky & Eir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭listermint

mikeym wrote: »
    Whats the alternative? Wait for Match of the day I dont think so mate.

How if you have a legit subscription and your tv provider isnt showing your team, what do you do then?

People in America can watch all the live premier league matches and us Irish get fleeced big time by Sky & Eir.

Don't watch it for a season , if we all did that theyd change the business model quick smart like offering a reasonably priced available online service.

It's bandit robbery for not great football and you still don't get all the matches you want to watch

It's a shoddy offering considering the price.

Out of interest, how much is Sky/BT/Eir Sport if for example you where a publican? Are we talking into the 10/15/20k for broadcast rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Nah, you are wrong here. If you can't afford the official packages, or you just don't want to be ripped off, you should definitely be looking at the other ways of getting football on your screen. Thankfully those ways are plentiful and come at all sorts of prices and quality, so everybody is happy.

Out of interest, how much is Sky/BT/Eir Sport if for example you where a publican? Are we talking into the 10/15/20k for broadcast rights.

One pub in Sligo pays Sky €850 per month. Eir/BT is separate and I can't remember what I was told exactly, but it was between €200 & €300 IIRC.

It depends on the size of the pub and it's turnover.

Most wont pay it and are on MAG boxes showing the football from beIN and other Asian channels.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement