Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League trying to fight streaming, can the war be won?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

^^ Ugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Sky don't show the premiership . BT have rights to that and is probably more suited to rugby forum than here.

Premier league on other hand .

Are you a real life version of Sheldon Cooper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Sky don't show the premiership . BT have rights to that and is probably more suited to rugby forum than here.

Premier league on other hand .

Don't BT have rights to the Aviva Premiership?

So you are saying that if Sky's subscription base went down because more people moved to illegal streaming/cardshare, then it would have no konock on effect on people who rely on Sky for their job, i.e call center person, sales person, installer ?

Of course it would. Just like how if more people cancelled their Sky subscription, Murdoch's empire would have less revenue to fund the likes of phone hacking murdered children.

There's no moral or ethical high ground here. It's purely a legal issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Get over yourself lads . Bet you all call the championship the championship not division 1 or division 2 as it used to be called .

It hasn't been the premiership for 10 years now get with the times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Get over yourself lads . Bet you all call the championship the championship not division 1 or division 2 as it used to be called .

It hasn't been the premiership for 10 years now get with the times.

I still call Landsdowne Road...Landsdowne Road. **** branding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I did for a good while but everybody around me calls it the Aviva so I've started calling it that myself now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Us of a certain vintage call it The Premiership and even remember when it was Division 1.;)

Roy Keane always calls it The Premiership and nobody is gonna argue with him.

Sky should look at NBC,all games live and showing goals from other matches at half time and full time.
    While they were truly innovative in their coverage,Sky have been surpassed by other networks around the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Of as many expect here the model is for some sort of legal bespoke streaming service, then why are sky being talked about.
    Epl are big enough to launch streaming services themselves now, and cut out sky/BT altogether.
    All sky really have to offer is apparent control over the hardware for satellite transmission, ie set top boxes and the satellite at 28.3 E.
    Epl should develop their own online platform and sell it directly to the customer. Only reason sky want the football is for saleable content, that they can pad up with the kardashians and movie reruns and charge twice the price for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Of as many expect here the model is for some sort of legal bespoke streaming service, then why are sky being talked about.
    Epl are big enough to launch streaming services themselves now, and cut out sky/BT altogether.
    All sky really have to offer is apparent control over the hardware for satellite transmission, ie set top boxes and the satellite at 28.3 E.
    Epl should develop their own online platform and sell it directly to the customer. Only reason sky want the football is for saleable content, that they can pad up with the kardashians and movie reruns and charge twice the price for it.

I'd imagine EPL could sell the rights themselves with the help of some IPTV service provider, and it could be very different from what we see today on Sky or BT.

But I'm not sure they will be doing it anytime soon.

Just look at MLB.TV for example.

You cannot watch a game online if that game is available on TV (subscription or otherwise) in your area.

At the end of the day traditional TV contracts are still very popular.

Now Sky/BT or whomever may change their offering, but there is still life in them for a while yet I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

zerks wrote: »
    Us of a certain vintage call it The Premiership and even remember when it was Division 1.;)

Roy Keane always calls it The Premiership and nobody is gonna argue with him.

Sky should look at NBC,all games live and showing goals from other matches at half time and full time.
    While they were truly innovative in their coverage,Sky have been surpassed by other networks around the world.

Now I would pay for the 5Live (radio) approach, live game with PIP of goals as they are scored around the grounds - that would be a game changer.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Now I would pay for the 5Live (radio) approach, live game with PIP of goals as they are scored around the grounds - that would be a game changer.

NBC do this already. Goals rush it's called.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

NBC don't show "Goals rush" . No idea who has rights to that and is probably more suited to a TV forum than here.

Goal Rush on other hand .

^^ Ugh

Am I doing it right ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Landsdowne Road? I don't know any place called that. Lansdowne Road on the other hand...

From 2:29

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

dreambox have a workaround sorted i seen on fb

Linky??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

They're workaround is likely just adding an IPTV subscription.

Those Facebook pages disappear every couple of months and re-emerge with a similar name soon after - "DreamBox Ireland", "DreamBox Europe", "DreamBox World" etc. etc.

Just a coincidence I'm sure :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

A woman my mother works with actually said something about dreambox/facebook to her earlier today and she texted me about it. Must be this.

Likely really crap IPTV to maximise their profits. I don't use FB so I've never heard of them, but if was JaMarcus Hustle says is accurate I have a pretty good idea what they are all about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

They were giving a 5 year guarantee on all their boxes

Aye they've added IPTV and not sorted the CC problem at all. Not that you'd expect them to be able to.

Jayop wrote:
    Aye they've added IPTV and not sorted the CC problem at all. Not that you'd expect them to be able to.

A free IPTV plugin at that. Wouldn't be counting on that lasting very long! :o

They've got a public facebook page with 50k likes, an 085 mobile number and an Irish hosted website. They're just asking to be sued.

Good luck to anyone trying to take advantage of that 5 year guarantee when they're in prison. Find it hard to understand how Sky allow it to happen so publicly. That crap on facebook/ebay is what killed the CS.

Yep, when it was hush hush there wasn't a thing about it. Once it became overt and in everyone's face it became a major problem for sky.

Still though, from every 100 people who left sky to get a dreambox I'd be surprised if 5/10 sign up again in this country at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Jayop wrote: »
    Yep, when it was hush hush there wasn't a thing about it. Once it became overt and in everyone's face it became a major problem for sky.

Still though, from every 100 people who left sky to get a dreambox I'd be surprised if 5/10 sign up again in this country at least.

Was with sky for years,and whoever else along with them ,bt..Setanta,I just had to watch all the footie ..English,spanish mainly,but it's just far to much to pay yearly because you had to have channels you don't need or watch and pay for them.. got sick of it. Won't be back,I'd wait for free match of the day rather than.pay it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Are Dreamboxes just names for Android boxes with Kodi installed? I remember back in the good old days Dreamboxes were Linux receivers. I think Nokia made them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

statto25 wrote: »
    Are Dreamboxes just names for Android boxes with Kodi installed? I remember back in the good old days Dreamboxes were Linux receivers. I think Nokia made them.

I think they are both, depends on what it's setup to do.

There is an "official" DreamBox I believe, but the term is really just used now to refer to any type of sat/cable/streaming box.

• Advertisement

Dreambox generally refers to card sharing only. Although some boxes are duo boxes that can have Kodi/IPTV as we'll as cardsharing, when people say dreambox they are referring to cardsharing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

yeah a dreambox is/was a linux sat receiver by dream multimedia but the name has now become bastardised to mean any sat box with CS.

Dreambox generally refers to card sharing only. Although some boxes are duo boxes that can have Kodi/IPTV as we'll as cardsharing, when people say dreambox they are referring to cardsharing.

Dream-multimedia are a legitimate company and for years were the leaders in the 3rd party STB market. They have since been overtaken by other companies like Vu+ though as their prices are too high.

There are plenty of people who currently own/have owned dreamboxes and use them for legally. My first box was a DM500 and I used it with a Premiere/Sky DE card for 2 years before it was no longer possible for me to subscribe legally from Ireland.

Seems to be technically challenged people who call anything dodgy a dreambox. Like my mother. She has a fire stick and calls it a dreambox.

Should also add that the rise in TVs with built in sat tuners contributed to their fall in popularity as well. Their boxes were very popular in Germany (German company) for years as a way to access FTA satellite TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Oat23 wrote: »
    Dream-multimedia are a legitimate company and for years were the leaders in the 3rd party STB market. They have since been overtaken by other companies like Vu+ though as their prices are too high.

There are plenty of people who currently own/have owned dreamboxes and use them for legally. My first box was a DM500 and I used it with a Premiere/Sky DE card for 2 years before it was no longer possible for me to subscribe legally from Ireland.

Seems to be technically challenged people who call anything dodgy a dreambox. Like my mother. She has a fire stick and calls it a dreambox.

Thankyou Oat23 a voice of someone who has a clue.

seen all the posts today & thought this would've been posted.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39947622

some of the story
    Two British men have been arrested in Bangkok for allegedly selling online access to illegally streamed football broadcasts.
    The Premier League said it supported local authorities in investigations that led to arrests on 11 May.

They are accused of causing damages worth more than 100 million baht (£2.2m) to the broadcast rights holders.

Agents for the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) also seized nine computer servers, nine computers, 49 set-top boxes and three mobile phones.
    The three men allegedly sold illegal broadcasts of football matches on the 365sport.tv website, which is currently offline.
    Customers of 365sport.tv have discussed problems accessing the site in recent days via online forums.

In a statement, the Premier League said that it had supported Thai police in efforts to crack down on the illegal use of Kodi and IPTV boxes.
    "This included a series of raids in Bangkok that targeted several website operators engaged in selling the devices that are pre-loaded with apps that facilitate pirate broadcasts of Premier League football, across South East Asia," the organisation said.
    "The Premier League is currently engaged in its largest ever programme to protect its copyright and the legitimate investment made by its broadcasting partners.
    "Their contribution allows our clubs to develop and acquire players, invest in facilities and support the wider football pyramid and communities - all things that fans enjoy and society benefits from."
    Deputy chief of the DSI, Suriya Singhakamol, said the suspects may also have been involved in transmissions broadcast via Thaiexpat.tv, Hkexpat.tv, Indoexpat.tv, Vietexpat.tx and Euroexpat.tv.

being honest i don't think i'll ever pay for an official sub for TV or football again, i don't sub to netflix either as it's a waste of money imo. the alternatives are too good/cheap
    I've a hybrid sat box w/recording for FTA channels, kodi for other tv shows/my own library of stuff & an 10p/m sub to a sports iptv provider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Christ lads didn't expect so many replies. Thank you for all the info. I remember when I first heard of CS many moons ago people were mentioning Dreamboxes in hushed tones. Now as ye have said it's the mainstream word for every piss poor android box sitting in front of TVs.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm well aware that dreambox are a company who produce a box called the dreambox. I never said otherwise.

What I said was correct though. Most people when they refer to "dreambox" nowadays are referring to cardsharing machines regardless of the brand. I've never heard anyone call a firestick a dreambox. Maybe the problem is the person who's teaching your mother and not the rest of the populace.

It's the same as how people say hoover when they mean vacuum cleaner. It's nothing to do with "technically challenged" people at all. The people who sell vu boxes or zgemma boxes refer to themselves as "dreambox Ireland" or "dreambox Donegal".

It's the same as how people say hoover when they mean vacuum cleaner. It's nothing to do with "technically challenged" people at all. The people who sell vu boxes or zgemma boxes refer to themselves as "dreambox Ireland" or "dreambox Donegal".

those people are on FB groups are thick as shít though

Thankyou Oat23 a voice of someone who has a clue.

So are you saying the rest of us don't have a clue for saying that most people now refer to all boxes as dreamboxes?

Tell me how that is incorrect? :confused:

As Jayo said, like it or lump it, DreamBox as a term is in the same category as Hoover, Tayto etc.

statto25 wrote: »
    Christ lads didn't expect so many replies. Thank you for all the info. I remember when I first heard of CS many moons ago people were mentioning Dreamboxes in hushed tones. Now as ye have said it's the mainstream word for every piss poor android box sitting in front of TVs.

Dreamboxes were completely banned from adverts at one point, modified or factory new! There are lads openly selling cardsharing subs on there now :pac:
    Yeah I'm well aware that dreambox are a company who produce a box called the dreambox. I never said otherwise.

What I said was correct though. Most people when they refer to "dreambox" nowadays are referring to cardsharing machines regardless of the brand. I've never heard anyone call a firestick a dreambox. Maybe the problem is the person who's teaching your mother and not the rest of the populace.

Woah relax! I wasn't attacking anyone. I quoted your post just to give more information on DM and their history. They have a bad rep simply because they shipped their boxes with linux and they were easy to modify.

So are you saying the rest of us don't have a clue for saying that most people now refer to all boxes as dreamboxes?

Tell me how that is incorrect? :confused:

As Jayo said, like it or lump it, DreamBox as a term is in the same category as Hoover, Tayto etc.

The majority of people are ****ing idiots.
    The parasite box sellers with gifts are devious idiots. The gob****es who go looking for their fully loaded boxes are idiots and are even bigger idiots when it all goes tits up and they wonder why their cash is gone.

• Advertisement

The parasite box sellers with gifts are devious idiots. The gob****es who go looking for their fully loaded boxes are idiots and are even bigger idiots when it all goes tits up and they wonder why their cash is gone.

****ing people coming over here and taking our stuff.

Dreamboxes were completely banned from adverts at one point, modified or factory new! There are lads openly selling cardsharing subs on there now :pac:

Woah relax! I wasn't attacking anyone. I quoted your post just to give more information on DM and their history. They have a bad rep simply because they shipped their boxes with linux and they were easy to modify.

When you quote someone, point out they were wrong (when they weren't) and then say that people who make that mistake (it wasn't) are technically challenged you can understand how that would be taken as a dig.

Why is someone who's trying to save a few quid but might not know how to set up a box themselves be an idiot?

TBH go back through this thread, it's many pages with loads of posters who have had dreamboxes and none of them are now wondering where their money is gone. It was an illegal service that we here at least all knew wasn't going to go forever.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    seen all the posts today & thought this would've been posted.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39947622

some of the story

being honest i don't think i'll ever pay for an official sub for TV or football again, i don't sub to netflix either as it's a waste of money imo. the alternatives are too good/cheap
    I've a hybrid sat box w/recording for FTA channels, kodi for other tv shows/my own library of stuff & an 10p/m sub to a sports iptv provider

This is now the bigger concern. The way I see it cardsharing is done. I just can't see it coming back in its current format. It's a real pity but what can you do.

If internet streaming and IPTV go down then it's game over and match of the day only for a lot of us.

I just can't see how they can take down IPTV though. Even if sky managed to protect themselves somehow will they be able to stop NBC streams??

When you quote someone, point out they were wrong (when they weren't) and then say that people who make that mistake (it wasn't) are technically challenged you can understand how that would be taken as a dig.

Like I said. I was simply adding more information about the company behind the Dreambox. I was not saying you were wrong, technically challenged or anything like that. I just wanted to point out that DM were a legitimate company who were very popular back in the day for more than cardsharing, that's all.

Sorry if I offended you.

This is now the bigger concern. The way I see it cardsharing is done. I just can't see it coming back in its current format. It's a real pity but what can you do.

If internet streaming and IPTV go down then it's game over and match of the day only for a lot of us.

I just can't see how they can take down IPTV though. Even if sky managed to protect themselves somehow will they be able to stop NBC streams??

Most likely if it ever comes back the softcams wont ever be public, maybe the large boxsellers and pay servers in the far east will end up funding it. Sky Italia went over 18 months ago and many thought it would be back soon but to this day nothing public ever.

A lot of the IPTV sellers / restreamers sourced their channels from CS. You will still have the larger operators using official boxes and cards. I wonder if in the future you will see more interaction between Sky and the ISP's in the UK for example having the ability to demand more instant blocks on IPTV streams / sources as we have seen with the blocking of certain sites for TV and Movie addons for Kodi.

One very good option for people is to look at sourcing a NC+ Sports card from Poland if possible. They carry a very good range of games and 13east is relatively easy to pick up on a 80CM dish depending on location, one may even get away with a slightly smaller dish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Am I the only one thinking, what the point of us as mere citizens been in the EU is? It's seems big business are the order of the day within it.

I thought one of the functions of it was to open up the European market for services, products, travel etc.. Yet the list is ever growing of things I can't do.

I cannot open a bank account in another EU state, I cannot bring a car in from another EU state without paying Tax on it, I cannot use my phones internet connection without a small loan from the local CU in another EU state, I cannot buy a TV sub from another EU state.

Big Business pick and choose what they want, a bizzare example, I cannot buy the Google Pixel phone here, yet there HQ is in Dublin for the EU, yet if I go 100km up the road on the M1 I can get one in NI. I cannot buy insurance products from another EU state either.

I get that it's good for us a whole country to be in it, I am not saying it's bad but there is very little that I can see from us average guys on the ground. Isn't that the point of it, no wonder the UK are leaving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

TallGlass wrote: »
    Am I the only one thinking, what the point of us as mere citizens been in the EU is? It's seems big business are the order of the day within it.

I thought one of the functions of it was to open up the European market for services, products, travel etc.. Yet the list is ever growing of things I can't do.

I cannot open a bank account in another EU state, I cannot bring a car in from another EU state without paying Tax on it, I cannot use my phones internet connection without a small loan from the local CU in another EU state, I cannot buy a TV sub from another EU state.

Big Business pick and choose what they want, a bizzare example, I cannot buy the Google Pixel phone here, yet there HQ is in Dublin for the EU, yet if I go 100km up the road on the M1 I can get one in NI. I cannot buy insurance products from another EU state either.

I get that it's good for us a whole country to be in it, I am not saying it's bad but there is very little that I can see from us average guys on the ground. Isn't that the point of it, no wonder the UK are leaving it.

We can also thank the EU for us having to pay both Sky & BT to watch the premier league legitimately. Having one provider was anti competitive so had to be broken up into packages.

Like I said. I was simply adding more information about the company behind the Dreambox. I was not saying you were wrong, technically challenged or anything like that. I just wanted to point out that DM were a legitimate company who were very popular back in the day for more than cardsharing, that's all.

Sorry if I offended you.

No worries buddy, I'm much thicker skinned in real life than I seem online :)

TallGlass wrote: »

Yeah you have a point with some of that. The market for TV rights should be properly opened up as the way it is now is completely anti-competitive. Didn't some publican in England go to court with Sky a while back for having an EU service for showing sports? I half remember that but can't remember how it went.

In fairness, travel is a hell of a lot easier now. The tax on cars isn't an import tax, it's a registration tax and that's down to our government and not the EU. You can buy products from amazon in France or Germany and have them delivered here with no import duty easily.

Also, I just found out this week that Vodafone have done away completely with roaming charges in the EU. Now that all comes out of your normal allowance, even for PAYG customers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement