Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League trying to fight streaming, can the war be won?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    NBC do this already. Goals rush it's called.

Bein Sports do this too, showing the goals as they go in on the Saturday 3pm matches.

With Andy Gray and Richard Keys if yee miss them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Jayop wrote: »
    Didn't some publican in England go to court with Sky a while back for having an EU service for showing sports?

Wasn't the decision ruled in her favour and she was legitimately within her rights to continue using a foreign satellite to show matches in her pub?

Wonder why more pubs don't do it here? Especially considering many pubs don't have BT, so if they have United or Liverpool the pub won't be showing the match then, even though said pub are already paying a fortune to Sky for soccer. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Didn't Sinnots used to show multiple games live at 3 pm on a Saturday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Wasn't the decision ruled in her favour and she was legitimately within her rights to continue using a foreign satellite to show matches in her pub?

Wonder why more pubs don't do it here? Especially considering many pubs don't have BT, so if they have United or Liverpool the pub won't be showing the match then, even though said pub are already paying a fortune to Sky for soccer. :confused:

That was what I thought too but without looking it up I'm not 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Oat23 wrote: »
    One pub in Sligo pays Sky €850 per month. Eir/BT is separate and I can't remember what I was told exactly, but it was between €200 & €300 IIRC.

It depends on the size of the pub and it's turnover.

Most wont pay it and are on MAG boxes showing the football from beIN and other Asian channels.
    That's nucking futs, how can anyone justify charging a grand a month for TV, plus I'm sure imro etc as well.
    No wonder there is such a strong market for card sharing etc...

Asked someone about it today and was given these numbers

Sky: €846
    Eir/BT: €280
    Racing UK: €370 for the year
    PPVs cost €110 each
    +VAT

Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Pubs should get themselves a big motorised dish and a good receiver. Use Live On Sat as a guide to get where it's on Freeview then just pop in the details and the dish moves and receiver does its part, seemingly legal but a bit of a job to set it up. But once it running your golden I would imagine.

Good sound system to grab a commentary feed from the radio and you'd be set there also.

PPVs cost €110 each
    +VAT

Madness.

Wow, nearly 1000€ PM. That's madness. Seriously big overheads to having TVs in pubs.

PPVs cost €110 each
    +VAT

Madness.

Per month??

£ucking hell that's nuts. Roughly where in the country was that, or even was it a big pub?

I was working in a bar in sligo years ago and the boss told me that sky calculated the cost of your sub for a bar was based on your takings and if you serve food in the bar that's also taken into account. Not sure f that's completely accurate though.

Per month??

£ucking hell that's nuts. Roughly where in the country was that, or even was it a big pub?

I was working in a bar in sligo years ago and the boss told me that sky calculated the cost of your sub for a bar was based on your takings and if you serve food in the bar that's also taken into account. Not sure f that's completely accurate though.

This is a pub in Sligo town. And yes, it's accurate about it being based off the turnover of the pub. The size of the establishment is also factored in.

Prices are monthly apart from the horse racing one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

This is now the bigger concern. The way I see it cardsharing is done. I just can't see it coming back in its current format. It's a real pity but what can you do.

If internet streaming and IPTV go down then it's game over and match of the day only for a lot of us.

I just can't see how they can take down IPTV though. Even if sky managed to protect themselves somehow will they be able to stop NBC streams??

sky/the american channels/whoever could go after the iptv providers pretty easily. a lot easier than it's been for them to block CS which has went on for years. the trouble they'll have actually getting them taken down will be based on jurisdictions, where it's hosted, etc. though like the movie/tv studios have found it's like wack a mole

i don't know if they can implement anything technical that will stop it, I think cisco or some big tech company said they were working on something that would but i can't remember exactly now.
    those are maybe more of a problem to people who want to use iptv as a way to watch linear TV.

I was thinking of investing in a Mag box which afaik is a pure IPTV player and for IPTV is the rolls royce, but if IPTV goes pear shaped then it's just an expensive cup holder. An android box wouldn't be as good for that use specifically but at least it would still have some use afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Pro. F wrote: »
    It makes perfect sense, because a stronger league, benefits everybody. 4 teams already have 80% of the subs (or whatever the exact breakdown is). The teams and the TV companies already know which teams are most in demand and how they dominate the viewing audiences, and yet the EPL is still happy to have an even distribution of the income.

What might be interesting perhaps is if each team can sell their own sub - but 50% of each teams income from live matches gets split 19 ways, with each of the other clubs getting an equal share - since each game obviously has 2 parties playing, even if you as a consumer only follow one of them. So Man Utd and Swansea both loose 50% of their subscription earnings, but recoup a staggered 50% of the other teams earnings which evens it out a little.

On top of this, the TV rights money for highlights packages gets split evenly 20 ways.

If it's still too detrimentally unbalanced, there could be some sort of 'league tariff' % that gets broken up, but as a starting point, I think the above is actually pretty fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I was thinking of investing in a Mag box which afaik is a pure IPTV player and for IPTV is the rolls royce, but if IPTV goes pear shaped then it's just an expensive cup holder. An android box wouldn't be as good for that use specifically but at least it would still have some use afterwards.

Use stb emu app on android and it's nearly same as magbox.

I've heard of pubs paying up to £3k per month for Sky in the UK . Depends on pub size and post code over there I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Saw this on redcafe.

"Just called up BT Sports telling them that £28/month was too expensive. The guy said let me see if I can find out if we have any discounts. One minute later, the price was dropped to £10.99 for the next 12 months. Much better."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

What pisses me off about pubs being charged so much is that those costs are obviously passed onto the consumer then, in the way of more expensive pints and food. Seems if you want to watch football, you'll end up paying Sky one way or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Another pile of channels gone dark on cs overnight. Sky upping the pace of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Tuesdays and Thursdays seem to be the days they make changes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Anything of note gone this morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Have been sky subscriber since mid 90's full packages etc. then Setanta/BT came along and had to buy that for the extra matches.

I'm also involved in a pub which costs us €650 a month for Sky & another €300 a month for BT. its a rip off but if you don't have sport you are really fcuked. Add in the fact that they charge over €300 for a box office PPV , its absolutely madness

Currently have BT season ticket until Dec 2017 and just cancelled sky sports and movies which will save €50 a month.

Only watch the soccer on it and primarily Liverpool matches.
    I have been using a paid great quality IPTV the last few months and its great, includes 7 day catch up as well so I can catch match again or highlights. In the past just had a paid streaming service that only offered the sports and all 3 o clock games on Saturday.

If sky offered a PPV for just the games I wanted and charged reasonable price I would have no problem paying ( just like I do with spotify & netflix)

I have no interest in the 90% of other crap on sky sports channels only the football.

Time for Sky to wake up

Use stb emu app on android and it's nearly same as magbox.

If anyone goes this route I'd mention to the server owner that you plan to use stb emu. There's a very popular MAG server on a certain kings site that my friend was on, but his mac was blocked from the server after about a month for using stb emu. It's not as secure as a MAG which is the reason most servers use them. The owner wasn't a dick or anything. He gave him his money back but to avoid any hassle I'd clear it with the owner first!

Great program though if you have a box that can run it. stb emu on an nvidia shield runs better than an actual mag from my testing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

statto25 wrote:
    Anything of note gone this morning?

Rest of the movies, National Geographic among them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Rest of the movies, National Geographic among them.

LFCTV and thd history channel too. Always thought they were the same thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Taken from Techkings

ALL MOVIE CHANNELS FROM SLY CINEMA HAVE NOW BEEN REMOVED AND NO LONGER AVAILABLE ON NORMAL CS.
    +1 CHANNELS GONE AS WELL
    greats.
    premiere.
    matt damon
    disney
    family
    action
    comedy
    thriller
    dramarom
    sky scifi/horror
    select

PLUS THIS LIST BUT NOT YET VERIFIED
    Real Lives
    MUTV
    Fox News
    Nat Geo
    Nat Geo +1
    Nat Geo Wild
    History
    History +1
    H2
    Crime+Investigation
    At the Races
    Viceland
    Real Lives +1
    Lifetime +1
    LFC
    GINXeSports TV
    Crime Investation +1
    TV3 +1
    3e
    Zee Cinema

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

KevIRL wrote: »
    LFCTV and thd history channel too. Always thought they were the same thing...

Reported

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Not effecting me as I'm in Ireland but the English subscribers of my IPTV service are having the Sky streams blocked by their ISP, they need a VPN to get around it.

Definitely feels like the beginning of the end :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Reported

Kids on summer holidays already?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

rob316 wrote: »
    Not effecting me as I'm in Ireland but the English subscribers of my IPTV service are having the Sky streams blocked by their ISP, they need a VPN to get around it.

Definitely feels like the beginning of the end :(

The piracy whack-a-mole has been going on for years. And yet it's still going on. So there's no need for us to worry, there's no end in sight.

Regarding the particular issue you are talking about: in the UK they have some of the most draconian and invasive laws when it comes to internet censorship and invasion of privacy that you'll see in the western world. Their government is moving into police state levels of surveillance and interference in recent years. So whatever troubles we see UK people having with streams/iptv is not necessarily an indicator of what's coming down the line for more normal countries.

Someone was saying before that we can get seorview with a small aerial. I'm 45kms away from the nearest antenna, would I need a rooftop one?

• Advertisement

Someone was saying before that we can get seorview with a small aerial. I'm 45kms away from the nearest antenna, would I need a rooftop one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Have been sky subscriber since mid 90's full packages etc. then Setanta/BT came along and had to buy that for the extra matches.

I'm also involved in a pub which costs us €650 a month for Sky & another €300 a month for BT. its a rip off but if you don't have sport you are really fcuked. Add in the fact that they charge over €300 for a box office PPV , its absolutely madness

Currently have BT season ticket until Dec 2017 and just cancelled sky sports and movies which will save €50 a month.

Only watch the soccer on it and primarily Liverpool matches.
    I have been using a paid great quality IPTV the last few months and its great, includes 7 day catch up as well so I can catch match again or highlights. In the past just had a paid streaming service that only offered the sports and all 3 o clock games on Saturday.

If sky offered a PPV for just the games I wanted and charged reasonable price I would have no problem paying ( just like I do with spotify & netflix)

I have no interest in the 90% of other crap on sky sports channels only the football.

Time for Sky to wake up

i feel pretty much the same, and also its not like we were getting top quality football either,an awful lot of poor matches get screened

Would a pub even notice any extra custom on a Saturday night for a ppv boxing event?

Probably not worth their while tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

I wonder if their was a pay per event package, how many would bother with golf or tennis events. I can see these lads making a lot less money if that comes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Would a pub even notice any extra custom on a Saturday night for a ppv boxing event?

Probably not worth their while tbh.

TBH we have never paid to get the boxing PPV in. There were a few customers asking is we were showing the Klitschko vs Joshua fight and once sky told me the cost it was no way, you might get some ppl that would watch it if its on in the background but would never pay for itself with the extra customers needed.

If say something on the scale of Mcgregor vs Mayweather fight happened then I'm sure it would be worth while for a pub to get that in but aside from that just a waste of time.

TBH we have never paid to get the boxing PPV in. There were a few customers asking is we were showing the Klitschko vs Joshua fight and once sky told me the cost it was no way, you might get some ppl that would watch it if its on in the background but would never pay for itself with the extra customers needed.

If say something on the scale of Mcgregor vs Mayweather fight happened then I'm sure it would be worth while for a pub to get that in but aside from that just a waste of time.
    Can't blame yous. The regulars would be there anyway.

You probably wouldn't even be allowed open at the time McGregor would be fighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Can't blame yous. The regulars would be there anyway.

You probably wouldn't even be allowed open at the time McGregor would be fighting.

The Joshua fight was FTA on German TV,of course in Sky land it was €25 for domestic customers.Multiples of that for a pub.
    I told a buddy of mine about it being free but he "wanted to hear the English commentator". Just watch the action.
    Back to football, any games I want to see that aren't on Sky I can watch in HD from US/Canadian broadcasters.If Sky are showing Boro v Hull,I can watch somebody else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Why don't more people look into motorised dish/multi LNB dish?
    Not huge hassle to set up and not illegal to buy a foreign sub AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

yabadabado wrote: »
    Why don't more people look into motorised dish/multi LNB dish?
    Not huge hassle to set up and not illegal to buy a foreign sub AFAIK.

I would be interested to know which foreign options offers the best English speaking content (even if I'd need to change the audio track for each program). I did a quick search but didn't find anything much.

Wouldnt want commentary in a foreign language though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

lassykk wrote: »
    I would be interested to know which foreign options offers the best English speaking content (even if I'd need to change the audio track for each program). I did a quick search but didn't find anything much.

Wouldnt want commentary in a foreign language though

I'd go down this road too If English commentary was provided

I've heard people mention that some have an audio track in English but would want to be sure before I go getting a motorised dish!

Wouldn't want to lose my FTA UK channels if going down the route of a foreign sub for the football (assuming it's cheaper than sky!)

This post has been deleted.

I don't know of any foreign channels that show EPL with English as an option anymore. The PL were forced to clamp down on foreign TV companies because every pub was using it to show 3pms. They also limit the number of games they can show on satellite.

Years ago it was easy enough to get a decent foreign sub that had English and a good selection of games. Canal+ Poland was a popular one in the foreign sat forum.

NBC account and a VPN be a good shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I don't know of any foreign channels that show EPL with English as an option anymore. The PL were forced to clamp down on foreign TV companies because every pub was using it to show 3pms. They also limit the number of games they can show on satellite.

Years ago it was easy enough to get a decent foreign sub that had English and a good selection of games. Canal+ Poland was a popular one in the foreign sat forum.

Yes,no European channel is allowed have English audio for the last year and a bit.
    Bein Spain were the last channel to remove it ,they had it for about 6 months after every other channel had removed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

NBC account and a VPN be a good shout.

You'll need cable sub details to sign up directly to that AFAIK

bein sport MENA region had a great lineup, probably still do, in English too with keys & grey. Not sure how easy it is to sub though.

Some south east Asia broadcasts are in English too, using the generic pl feeds

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    You'll need cable sub details to sign up directly to that AFAIK

Only one way for most outside the US to get that and it's even more immoral than CS..

As for beIN, you need a credit/debit card with a billing address in MENA AFAIK.

Watching football shouldn't be so hard!

Cheers for that info.

I'm out of options so as iptv isn't an option in the sticks with 2 mbps broadband!

Will decide in August if I can stomach Sky or make do with motd

Cheers for that info.

I'm out of options so as iptv isn't an option in the sticks with 2 mbps broadband!

Will decide in August if I can stomach Sky or make do with motd

Local pub, cup of tea or bottle of coke!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

So is this it for cs? Any way to get around it, I have kodi, but most of the addons are useless apart from the movie ones. Not that great for sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Sky have done a survey on this earlier in the year as well as this report might lead to changes in the summer. Hopefully.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/golf/article-4377230/Sky-s-golf-coverage-driving-rugby-rough.html

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement